• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Met Two Cavaliers from Ella's Breeder

anniemac

I have been staying with my sister because I have been at the hospital in Charleston (I'm ok) but getting some treatments done at the Medical University here. Charleston is beautiful and I noticed a block away 2 cavaliers outside.

I asked where they came from and they came from Ella's breeder. I mentioned SM and of course they never heard of it. The cavaliers are 2 and 3. I tried to explain but my brain isn't working. I did hear that Ella's mom is still alive. She must be about 11 or so. I hope she is scanning seeing as if she organized a speaker to come talk about SM and also one on MVD. Oh well.... I have always said that I never blamed Ella's breeder because she had several other health tests (Hearts, Hips, patellas, eyes, etc. and with the exception of just a few hardly anyone was scanning in 2005). I guess I'm scared to know if she is scanning now.

Now if I get a puppy, it will be from a breeder who is scanning (that's for sure!) I felt bad because they did not know what SM was but I remembered she did organize someone coming to talk. I guess some people just don't bother to be involved. I think I might print something out and leave it at their door. Is that bad??

Yes, I'm good. I also wonder because the owner said they are on allergy shots. Then again, Elton scratches also. I don't want to scare them but they should know what to look for.

Anne, I would leave them a personal note and the print outs. They need to understand that Ella had it and it required surgery. It's not to scare them but to inform them. I remember it was my Vet that told me about SM as they have several Cav clients and one family that has 3 and one was going for surgery.

People need to be informed, and it takes us educating them. I have people ask all the time about Claire, and though she doesn't have SM, they need to know that finding a breeder that scans is the most important part of finding a Cavalier.

I mean, don't you wish you knew back then what you know today? And these folks need to know that there are things they can do for their Cavaliers if they do have SM.

I would do it. You won't rest if you don't.

Sorry you're having some medical issues. I hope all will be okay, saying a little prayer for you. I bet you miss Elton!

Last edited:
Elton is here with me but is having "issues" with their lab. Guarding, etc. I get scared he will bite the children which they know he is not like Ella and you can't just pick him up etc.

I was thinking more about it and even if they did not go to hear the speaker talk about it, I think people should be aware. I even think I have an extra "For the Love of Ollie" Book. I may just give them that. Although I think you can get an ebook now.

Anne, I would leave them a personal note and the print outs. They need to understand that Ella had it and it required surgery. It's not to scare them but to inform them. I remember it was my Vet that told me about SM as they have several Cav clients and one family that has 3 and one was going for surgery.

People need to be informed, and it takes us educating them. I have people ask all the time about Claire, and though she doesn't have SM, they need to know that finding a breeder that scans is the most important part of finding a Cavalier.

I mean, don't you wish you knew back then what you know today? And these folks need to know that there are things they can do for their Cavaliers if they do have SM.

I way do it. You won't rest if you don't.

Sorry you're having some medical issues. I hope all will be okay, saying a little prayer for you. I bet you miss Elton!

You are right that I will not rest. I just don't want it to seem like I am talking bad about the breeder. Maybe I can start it off like I know she organized someone to come talk about it last year but thought I would print some of this off for other Cavalier lovers.

I think your approach is perfect. And I'd even to them that you know th breeder is trying to make others aware of SM.

Oh, glad Elton is with you. It might take a while for him to get use to things. Best wishes on your treatments.

I think that is a great idea! I think every Cavalier owner should be aware of SM! I like your approach too!

Uh, Flash has some "guarding" issues too. I feel for ya!

It is always hard in situations like these. I say follow your gut and what your intuition is telling you...and they way you want to say something sounds just right. If that was me and how someone handled it, I would not be offended at all, I would be grateful.

I would suggest, writing what you feel you should say. Then have a friend or colleague proofread to make sure language/word choice is informative and helpful, rather than condescending, or overly emotional. It's easy to get wrapped up in what your writing and lose track of the tone. You want them to read it and continue to think about it, not discard it.

You could also suggest joining cavalier talk, which would allow them to communicate with you in the future, if they're interested, but without giving them your phone number, or personal email address.

I think your approach is perfect. I am curious, can you tell me the name of your breeder? I got my pup from a breeder down there as well.

What did you decide? And are you leaving a contact incase they want to get ahold of you?
Hope you are doing well, and little Elton too!

I have not done anything yet. I think any breeder not scanning is the same risk. I found out a friend just had her cavalier diagnosed with MVD. Louis was the same age as Ella. I am very sad about that

Back