Thread: Dental maintenance - tips and suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dental maintenance - tips and suggestions?

Unfortunately sad for us Chloe's dental is not perfect! Her teeth enamels are not that strong with some teeth showing some signs of wear, so we need to be better at brushing/cleaning her teeth. The vet thought it is hereditary. We need to make sure that she keeps to a good diet and regular cleaning of her teeth. Fortunately she is very easygoing allowing us to brush her teeth with no fuss at all. So, could you all please share any advice/tips re dental maintenance. We also wanted to use Virbac Aquadent drinking water additive for both her and our cat, but it is expensive! Any ideas, homemade remedy/options maybe? More new photos of her in gallery section.
    --
    Chloe, 1.2 yr old therapy dog in Auckland.

[IMG] hello. Sleepy now! by Chloe in Albany, on Flickr[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What a beautiful girl she is. Thanks for sharing.

I have seen a big improvement in four of the dogs since I started using Logic toothpaste once a day. Only poor Winston had to loose most of his to a bacterial infection.

As your vet says, the most important thing is a good healthy diet and regular tooth cleaning. 26 years of multi Cavaliers has taught me that good dental health might be a matter of inheritance, but good can turn to bad without some element of care. You are lucky that you can clean the teeth with a brush. The beauty of Logic is that I can give my lot their daily dose from a saucer.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the suggestion Flo. I have just googled the toothpaste since it is a brand I haven't come across before. Will start looking at where I could find one over here. Thanks from Chloe too! More photos of her in gallery section I uploaded earlier today. Have a very good weekend!
    --
    Chloe in Albany, Auckland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post

The beauty of Logic is that I can give my lot their daily dose from a saucer.
    How does that work Flo? Do they eat it? Pardon my ignorance
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlifarley View Post
    How does that work Flo? Do they eat it? Pardon my ignorance
    Basically if they don't like their teeth being brushed, which mine do NOT, then they can lick it up from a saucer or your finger if you prefer. The paste mixes with the dog's saliva to break down and prevent the development of tartar. My boy Little Joe is four years old with a sparkling, entire set of teeth which several judges have admired.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK