Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Cones after surgery

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    634
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Cones after surgery

    Just curious.....

    Sonny has to wear a cone right now because he keeps licking at his staph infection. I have only been putting it on him during the day and taking it off when he is in his crate at night. He instantly changes his demeanor when I put it on. He kind of mopes around the house and just seems sad. His sad little face is almost enough for me to take it off him, but I know that it is best for him to wear it so that he can heal. What are other people's experiences with their pups wearing the cones?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southern California - Orange County
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Soft cone

    Quote Originally Posted by ashleighelizabeth View Post
    Just curious.....

    Sonny has to wear a cone right now because he keeps licking at his staph infection. I have only been putting it on him during the day and taking it off when he is in his crate at night. He instantly changes his demeanor when I put it on. He kind of mopes around the house and just seems sad. His sad little face is almost enough for me to take it off him, but I know that it is best for him to wear it so that he can heal. What are other people's experiences with their pups wearing the cones?
    Do you use the soft cone? Mine has no problem with soft one, he did not like hard plastic one.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Is this the kinda face you are talking about?!


    IMG_0782 by kelseykakes5, on Flickr

    Oh yeah, Brooklyn was a sook when she had her cone on (this pic is from her desexing). So mopey. I had to put it on her a few weeks ago when she had a open sore on the pad of her foot (to keep her from licking it), and the second it went on...that face came back! Its better for her though, so I just ignore my heart strings and it is always better in the end because they heal faster...but it is hard to see them all sad looking!

    Soft cones are good I hear.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    634
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkt89 View Post
    Do you use the soft cone? Mine has no problem with soft one, he did not like hard plastic one.
    I saw the soft ones at the store, but I had never heard of them. I asked the guy at Petco about them, but he just looked at me blankly so I ended up buying what I knew. I will definitely look into getting one, for when Sonny gets neutered. Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    634
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh my goodness that is EXACTLY the face! LOL! Sonny is also releasing deep sighs more than usual. Poor little pup. I can't wait for his little wounds to be healed!!! Hope Brooky's paw is all healed up!


    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    Is this the kinda face you are talking about?!


    IMG_0782 by kelseykakes5, on Flickr

    Oh yeah, Brooklyn was a sook when she had her cone on (this pic is from her desexing). So mopey. I had to put it on her a few weeks ago when she had a open sore on the pad of her foot (to keep her from licking it), and the second it went on...that face came back! Its better for her though, so I just ignore my heart strings and it is always better in the end because they heal faster...but it is hard to see them all sad looking!

    Soft cones are good I hear.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    268
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Brooky is so pretty

    The problem is with the soft cones, if your furry monster is a chewer, he / she will end up destroying it pretty quickly.
    I have Jessie booked in for his desexing and hernia operation in a few weeks, and wondered about the surgery cones as well.

    Our vet sprays wounds and stitches with a product that deters them from the area. She claims that in most cases, they don't
    need to use a surgery cone with the majority of dogs. I hope it works for Jessie, I can't even get a harness on him without him
    going bonkers.
    If he has to wear a cone, I'll have to move out for a few weeks

    Sorry to hear about Sonny

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,450
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When Sydney had his hernia operation as a pup, instead of the cone, I bought a cotton tee shirt and used that instead. It still allows the wound to breath and heal. I don't remember where you said his staph infection is, but if it is on his belly, the tee shirt would work too.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

    BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Don't worry about it. Just tough the first day out and the dog acclimatizes to the e-collar afterwards. Cadence hated it when I first put it on him (after his neuter), but after a couple of days he LOVED it and would spend the entire day licking the insides of the plastic. I know, really disgusting. I ended up having to wash it every day because it smelled like drool. I took it off during walks and such though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southern California - Orange County
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashleighelizabeth View Post
    I saw the soft ones at the store, but I had never heard of them. I asked the guy at Petco about them, but he just looked at me blankly so I ended up buying what I knew. I will definitely look into getting one, for when Sonny gets neutered. Thanks!
    I bought it from vet office. It is soft and padded and he cannot chew it. You may want to ask vet if he has one you can try it on the dog.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    634
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneys Mom View Post
    When Sydney had his hernia operation as a pup, instead of the cone, I bought a cotton tee shirt and used that instead. It still allows the wound to breath and heal. I don't remember where you said his staph infection is, but if it is on his belly, the tee shirt would work too.
    His infection is on his lower back and bum area... But a t-shirt is an excellent idea!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •