• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cones after surgery

ashleighelizabeth

Just curious.....

Sonny has to wear a cone right now because he keeps licking at his staph infection. :( I have only been putting it on him during the day and taking it off when he is in his crate at night. He instantly changes his demeanor when I put it on. He kind of mopes around the house and just seems sad. His sad little face is almost enough for me to take it off him, but I know that it is best for him to wear it so that he can heal. What are other people's experiences with their pups wearing the cones?

Soft cone

Just curious.....

Sonny has to wear a cone right now because he keeps licking at his staph infection. :( I have only been putting it on him during the day and taking it off when he is in his crate at night. He instantly changes his demeanor when I put it on. He kind of mopes around the house and just seems sad. His sad little face is almost enough for me to take it off him, but I know that it is best for him to wear it so that he can heal. What are other people's experiences with their pups wearing the cones?

Do you use the soft cone? Mine has no problem with soft one, he did not like hard plastic one.

Is this the kinda face you are talking about?!

IMG_0782 by kelseykakes5, on Flickr

Oh yeah, Brooklyn was a sook when she had her cone on (this pic is from her desexing). So mopey. I had to put it on her a few weeks ago when she had a open sore on the pad of her foot (to keep her from licking it), and the second it went on...that face came back! Its better for her though, so I just ignore my heart strings and it is always better in the end because they heal faster...but it is hard to see them all sad looking!

Soft cones are good I hear.

Do you use the soft cone? Mine has no problem with soft one, he did not like hard plastic one.
I saw the soft ones at the store, but I had never heard of them. I asked the guy at Petco about them, but he just looked at me blankly so I ended up buying what I knew. I will definitely look into getting one, for when Sonny gets neutered. Thanks!:grin:

Oh my goodness that is EXACTLY the face! LOL! Sonny is also releasing deep sighs more than usual. Poor little pup. I can't wait for his little wounds to be healed!!! Hope Brooky's paw is all healed up!:)

Is this the kinda face you are talking about?!

IMG_0782 by kelseykakes5, on Flickr

Oh yeah, Brooklyn was a sook when she had her cone on (this pic is from her desexing). So mopey. I had to put it on her a few weeks ago when she had a open sore on the pad of her foot (to keep her from licking it), and the second it went on...that face came back! Its better for her though, so I just ignore my heart strings and it is always better in the end because they heal faster...but it is hard to see them all sad looking!

Soft cones are good I hear.

Brooky is so pretty :l*v:

The problem is with the soft cones, if your furry monster is a chewer, he / she will end up destroying it pretty quickly.
I have Jessie booked in for his desexing and hernia operation in a few weeks, and wondered about the surgery cones as well.

Our vet sprays wounds and stitches with a product that deters them from the area. She claims that in most cases, they don't
need to use a surgery cone with the majority of dogs. I hope it works for Jessie, I can't even get a harness on him without him
going bonkers.
If he has to wear a cone, I'll have to move out for a few weeks :lol:

Sorry to hear about Sonny :(

When Sydney had his hernia operation as a pup, instead of the cone, I bought a cotton tee shirt and used that instead. It still allows the wound to breath and heal. I don't remember where you said his staph infection is, but if it is on his belly, the tee shirt would work too.

Don't worry about it. Just tough the first day out and the dog acclimatizes to the e-collar afterwards. Cadence hated it when I first put it on him (after his neuter), but after a couple of days he LOVED it and would spend the entire day licking the insides of the plastic. I know, really disgusting. I ended up having to wash it every day because it smelled like drool. I took it off during walks and such though.

I saw the soft ones at the store, but I had never heard of them. I asked the guy at Petco about them, but he just looked at me blankly so I ended up buying what I knew. I will definitely look into getting one, for when Sonny gets neutered. Thanks!:grin:

I bought it from vet office. It is soft and padded and he cannot chew it. You may want to ask vet if he has one you can try it on the dog.

When Sydney had his hernia operation as a pup, instead of the cone, I bought a cotton tee shirt and used that instead. It still allows the wound to breath and heal. I don't remember where you said his staph infection is, but if it is on his belly, the tee shirt would work too.

His infection is on his lower back and bum area... But a t-shirt is an excellent idea!

I've had a couple of Cavaliers who've needed to wear them - they were a bit peevish till they got used to wearing them and negotiating furniture and doorways without bumps. And my 11 year old Rowan actually managed to do some hunting (his favourite occupation) and catch a bird while wearing his!

Rosemary

Back