• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Blue, Border Collie [and honorary Cavalier]

sarahsum

I had my beloved Blue put to sleep last night, over the weekend he had become steadily more ataxic, bashing into things & falling over. His appetite was still good but he was a shadow of his former self, he didn't want to play, just slept all the time. His front legs were like spaghetti & his back legs weren't brilliant. he had a bad collapse yesterday afternoon, i caught him in my arms and cradled him, he licked my hand over and over again and looked at me, I knew the time had come. He had been such a brave lad and fought so hard, i think he was just worn out & tired. I am blessed with a wonderful, caring vet who made it as easy as she could for us. i shall miss him so much. Good luck to you all in your fight against this truly horrible condition, i hope all your research pats off and you can help your wonderful breed of dog for future generations . xx

I'm so sorry to hear about Blue.You have my deepest sympathy on your loss.
Sometimes things become so difficult, there's a limit to what we can ask them to endure.
You've been very strong and brave to share your experiences with us and Thank you so much for that.
He was very much loved and you did everything that you possibly could for him.
Run free Blue.
Sins

I had my beloved Blue put to sleep last night, over the weekend he had become steadily more ataxic, bashing into things & falling over. His appetite was still good but he was a shadow of his former self, he didn't want to play, just slept all the time. His front legs were like spaghetti & his back legs weren't brilliant. he had a bad collapse yesterday afternoon, i caught him in my arms and cradled him, he licked my hand over and over again and looked at me, I knew the time had come. He had been such a brave lad and fought so hard, i think he was just worn out & tired. I am blessed with a wonderful, caring vet who made it as easy as she could for us. i shall miss him so much. Good luck to you all in your fight against this truly horrible condition, i hope all your research pats off and you can help your wonderful breed of dog for future generations . xx

Oh God I am so sorry. I don’t really know what to say, this is so sudden. My heart truly goes out to you and your family. You have done so much for Blue and he was very lucky to have such a loving caring mum. Run Free Blue.

You might want to post at the Memorial Page.

Hi

So sorry to read about Blue ,so many of us have been reading about all
your efforts to help your beloved Blue nobody could of done more .

Oh no, I am so, so sorry :(. It is just so difficult to take such a decision but every one of us here can absolutely understand the choices you have faced, the love you have for Blue, and the decisions you have made all along. I think one of the hardest things is to see a much loved dog struggling with a condition like this, with its unpredictability and pain and confusion. The dogs just show such courage, as do owners in making such very hard choices.

I think I can speak for all of us in saying that Blue and you were very much part of the family here, and while Blue was every inch a proud collie, he was also, for all of us, an honorary cavalier :).

I know on the forum, our thoughts will be with you and with Blue. :flwr:

I can barely write through my tears. Blue reminded me so much of Riley, they had so many of the same symptoms. Most of the time I forgot he was not a cavalier, he could have been her brother - and he was in sprit. Blue is running free at Rainbow Bridge now, meeting all of his cavalier buddies who have had SM and are also now running free, without pain and with strong legs.

My heart aches for you.

I am so sorry to read this sad news about Blue.

I hope your memories of better happier times with him will help ease your pain as you deal with your loss. :hug:

I am so sorry that you had to give Blue his wings. His memory will be part of your heart always.:hug:

I am so sorry. He will leave such a gap in your life.

Letting them go when the time comes is the last act of love we can show them.
Thank goodness he was with someone that cared so much and loved him so completely.

I do hope you will stay with us for a little while.

RIP Blue.

Blue is running free at Rainbow Bridge now, meeting all of his cavalier buddies who have had SM and are also now running free, without pain and with strong legs.

Do you know, Blue would love to have cavalier buddies, he was such a wimp he only liked small dogs! Its made me smile thinking of him running with cavaliers. I was worried i wouldnt know when to make this decision, but it was easy in the end, he had stopped doing al the things a collie enjoys, and given the extent of his syrinx & damage to his brain I knew he couldnt carry on much longer. The scans showed he had only approx 20% of healthy cord left in his neck, everyone agreed he was a walking miracle. I am blessed to have lived & loved with him.

So sorry to hear about Blue. We shall all miss our honorary Cavalier, he had become so much part of our forum family. I'm sure you made the right decision for Blue, but it never gets any easier.

:hug: from Kate, Oliver and Aled

I am so sorry for your loss, we all could feel your love for blue and he was such a welcome addition to the boards. I am sending you, and Blue, a prayer or love and healing. In my mind, Blue was the luckiest dog on the planet to be owned by you.

Hugs.

I'm so very sorry to read about the death of your Blue. Please keep in touch with us when you can, we're always here. Rest in peace, Blue.

Oh Sarah, I am so heartbroken to have come on and read this news! I am so sorry you had to make this decision. Having had to PTS a dog of mine in July, it's still very fresh and I know how the heart aches.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, and hoping you will check in with us from time to time to let us know how you are, I don't know if you have other dogs.....but if you do, I hope they give you great comfort. If not, I hope you won't wait to long to find another companion, as it will help heal your heart.

Have just read through this heartbreaking post and it truly is devastating.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your handsome Blue.
Not that it would probably be of any comfort, but thankfully he had such a loving and warm carer that helped him make
the most of each day he was here.

I am so sorry. I can only imagine how hard this must have been for you. We all know how much you loved you boy :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to add my sympathies too. Blue sounded like a fantastic dog and I am sure he knew how much you loved him. 

Back