Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trustability of Online Puppy Calculators (projected Adult Dog size)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Trustability of Online Puppy Calculators (projected Adult Dog size)

I was wondering if any of you owners or breeders out there know of any good ways to determine a puppy's projected adult dog size. I have read quite a bit on quite a few sites that have said, "Take the puppy's weight at 6 weeks (1 lb 8 ozs) then double that. (1 lb 8 ozs + 1 lb 8 ozs)= 3 lbs. Then you are to take that total and multiply by 2 (3 lbs x 2= 6 lbs). This is your puppy's projected adult weight.

How reliable are those Online Puppy Calculators in determining projected adult dog size?

Chauncy's parents are average in size, nothing remarkable, in that their weights fall within the average range. True Chauncy's brother is about 2 sizes larger than he is. I am quite sure there is no such thing as a Cavalier of 6 lbs... or is there? I do not mind if Chauncy stays small at all, I'm just curious to know if anyone out there has ever seen a Cavalier this petite before. MRIs for both parents are fine. Both parents have cardiologist heart certs. Eye tests for both parents are good. The parents are quite healthy otherwise. I looked for a breeder that was stringent on health aspects of the Cavaliers that they breed, thus having led me to Chauncy. For me, the health of a dog is first and foremost.

Does anyone have any reliable sources specifically that projects a Cavalier's projected weight as an adult? Any and all resources and advice is much appreciated. Thank you in advance to all who reply.
    Mama to little Chauncy

Post Thanks / Like

I've never looked into the calculators you mentioned, but I certainly hope our Bentley has reached his full growth. He'll be one year old on Nov 26 and weighed 25 lbs this week when microchipped! That's just too big...bigger than I want for a snuggly lap dog. He has gained about 3 lbs in recent weeks that we can get rid of before long. First he was on prednisone for flea bite allergy - this caused him to want to over eat, then our daughter is battling a brain tumor and has spent most of her time at our house in the past 6 weeks, bringing her Bishon with her. The Bishon is normally a light eater but he & Bentley are in competition for the food bowl so both are eating more than usual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I asked the same question the other day here as well. My little guy is 15 weeks and weighs 5.2kgs (or 11 pounds) and
    wondered the same. Found it: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/s...5-Puppy-Weight
    How old is Chauncy? When Jessie was 7 weeks when we first brought him home, he was tiny. He tends to have a big growth spurt
    every second week and I've already had to buy a new collar, as his puppy collar is getting a little too small, having a 30cm neck now.

As long as he's healthy and he's getting all the nutrition and puppy goodness he needs. He's adorable so precious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Cute name... Bentley :)

First of all, I must say how much I love the name Bentley. I was debating between Chauncy and Bentely and my daughter picked Chauncy.

Regarding Bentley's weight, I think you just hit it... Prednisone. I wonder if dogs are anything like humans, if they are, then I would say that the Prednisone is the reason for the weight gain. I used to specialize in pediatric endocrinology and we always warned the parents that out of necessity, sometimes babies or children under the age of 5 years of age are given steroids, but if steroids/corticosteroids are administered aggressively, the patient will eventually be overweight as adults-- it is not due to overeating, it is just simply that steroids given to babies/children during early stages in life cause them to be overweight. Maybe there are some Veterinarians in the house who would be able to verify if dogs react to steroids/corticosteroids the way humans do?

At 25# that is a real live teddy bear you got there It must be nice to hug him at that size! I'm quite sure that maybe he may not be lapdog size, but in his heart and in his actions, he still is in all ways a lapdog

Quote Originally Posted by CSutherland View Post
    I've never looked into the calculators you mentioned, but I certainly hope our Bentley has reached his full growth. He'll be one year old on Nov 26 and weighed 25 lbs this week when microchipped! That's just too big...bigger than I want for a snuggly lap dog. He has gained about 3 lbs in recent weeks that we can get rid of before long. First he was on prednisone for flea bite allergy - this caused him to want to over eat, then our daughter is battling a brain tumor and has spent most of her time at our house in the past 6 weeks, bringing her Bishon with her. The Bishon is normally a light eater but he & Bentley are in competition for the food bowl so both are eating more than usual.
    Mama to little Chauncy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Tiny Jessie

Hello and thank you for the reply and the link to your thread, I appreciate it

Chauncy is currently 7 weeks and he is 27 ozs. You say that Jessie was tiny too, was he about the same weight when you brought him home?

I agree with you completely in that, as long as they are healthy, all is well. I even told the breeder that I wouldn't mind having a petite dog because I myself am petite at 152cm and 45kgs, ha ha ha...

Quote Originally Posted by JessieAndMe View Post
    I asked the same question the other day here as well. My little guy is 15 weeks and weighs 5.2kgs (or 11 pounds) and
    wondered the same. Found it: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/s...5-Puppy-Weight
    How old is Chauncy? When Jessie was 7 weeks when we first brought him home, he was tiny. He tends to have a big growth spurt
    every second week and I've already had to buy a new collar, as his puppy collar is getting a little too small, having a 30cm neck now.

As long as he's healthy and he's getting all the nutrition and puppy goodness he needs. He's adorable so precious.
    Mama to little Chauncy

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if it helps much but Flash was 8lbs at 4 months old, 12.5lbs at 6 months old and now 19.5lbs at 1 1/2 years old. He has only recently started to bulk out. He was always really leggy and super thin looking. He is still really muscular and not fat but he looks a little "fuller". His legs seem to be proportioned.

His mom is 12lbs and dad is now a healthy14 lbs. Most of his grandparents are in the 15-20lb range. Flash is considerably larger then his parents but I believe this has a lot to do with environmental conditions they were exposed to.
    Flash Blitz Holly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lucky was 17 lbs at 7 months and held that weight for at least a good 6 months. As he got older he got a but bulkier (chest structure). He's still slim but gained an extra 4 lbs in that time. He's now 5.

I have heard that pups in smaller litters gain their full adult weight faster than pups in larger litters (Lucky was in a litter of 2). Based on that, if true, I don't think you can really go by online puppy calculators. Lucky was over 7.5 lbs at 10 weeks, so if I'd have gone by a calcultor, I'd have probably though he'd be a 30 lb dog. But I think he did just grow faster because of his small litter size. LOL
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Had to take a peek

It is so helpful for owners like you to share, as it gives me a better idea about what to expect with Chauncy

I had to take a peek at Flash's pictures and he is too cute! His face is expressive and sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Reptigirl View Post
    Not sure if it helps much but Flash was 8lbs at 4 months old, 12.5lbs at 6 months old and now 19.5lbs at 1 1/2 years old. He has only recently started to bulk out. He was always really leggy and super thin looking. He is still really muscular and not fat but he looks a little "fuller". His legs seem to be proportioned.

His mom is 12lbs and dad is now a healthy14 lbs. Most of his grandparents are in the 15-20lb range. Flash is considerably larger then his parents but I believe this has a lot to do with environmental conditions they were exposed to.
    Mama to little Chauncy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default A 30lb Cavalier, oh my!

Hi Lani and thank you for your input regarding those "Puppy Calculators." I really appreciate it. I'm glad to know that those "calculators" are wrong. Lucky for me that Chauncy won't be too small and thank goodness you don't have a 30lb baby on your hands! Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Lucky was 17 lbs at 7 months and held that weight for at least a good 6 months. As he got older he got a but bulkier (chest structure). He's still slim but gained an extra 4 lbs in that time. He's now 5.

I have heard that pups in smaller litters gain their full adult weight faster than pups in larger litters (Lucky was in a litter of 2). Based on that, if true, I don't think you can really go by online puppy calculators. Lucky was over 7.5 lbs at 10 weeks, so if I'd have gone by a calcultor, I'd have probably though he'd be a 30 lb dog. But I think he did just grow faster because of his small litter size. LOL
    Mama to little Chauncy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Hi Lani and thank you for your input regarding those "Puppy Calculators." I really appreciate it. I'm glad to know that those "calculators" are wrong. Lucky for me that Chauncy won't be too small and thank goodness you don't have a 30lb baby on your hands! Thank you again!
    There is nothing wrong with a 30 lb cavalier. Though cavaliers are known to be on the small side, there is a large population of cavaliers that are on the larger side. Sydney was 30 lbs, and with illness has lost 3 lbs. His cardiologist is concerned with the weight loss and wants me to make sure he doesn't lose any more and she would be happy if he gained the 3 lbs. back.

And just think, at this size, there is more to love and cuddle with.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart