• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bum Trim

BrooklynMom

Hey all,
I have posted a similar topic to this before, but now I need more advice. My first post was about how Brooklyns feathers near where she pees always kind of get pee on them and smell, so I had the groomer take those up, which helped a little, but now I am wondering about all the feathering near her bum and where she pees. Basically, she squats so low to the ground when she pees that her feathering underneath always drags through the pee. And lately, she has had softer poos, and I am always having to clean poo out of the feathers near her bum :yuk: Like every day. Oye. She has had a sort of "sanitary trim" at the groomers, but just doing a little bit is not solving the problem.

SO my question is I am wondering about butt hair (sorry!) and grooming it...if anyone else cuts it/trims it short??? Or if anyone knows where I could see a photo example of this cut?

I love Brooky's feathering all over her, but the backside is driving me nuts! I am going bonkers cleaning poo out of the fur every day!

Not sure whether it would help or not, but you can get a coat trimmer on eBay. They are super cheap.
They are similar to a men's moustache or beard trimmer. It might help to thin the hair around her little bottom,
just enough to keep her clean, without needing to have it groomed professionally.

I have the same problem with Sophie when she has those softer poops, and have trimmed her petticoat until it is a miniskirt. It's not beautiful and elegant, but it is much more sanitary.

SO my question is I am wondering about butt hair (sorry!) and grooming it...if anyone else cuts it/trims it short??? Or if anyone knows where I could see a photo example of this cut?

Lucky had a bout of diarrhea a few months ago and I have had my groomer cut it short ever since. She also did Sparky, jut not quite as short. It looks fairly natural, just shorter and is soooooo much more hygenic. I was hating having to wash that area after every walk. If it helps, I can take a picture of their bums when I get home for you. My dogs are not show dogs so I am thrilled with the results. Luckily our diarrhea issues have resolved :xfngr: but it's good to know it won't be such an issue if they come back since Lucky does seems to have recurrances from time to time.

I shave all of my guys bums (as in around their anus - no pleasant way to say it!) and clip around their back legs and lower tail. I also clip around the boys bits, and bellies, and my ladies, eh, bits to stop any urine staining or smells. No cleaning up to do (gross!) and keeps everyone happy.

Recently, my Cavalier female had to get a full brazillian at the vets - think she's feeling a big chilly on walks the last few nights!

Thanks everyone!! Lani (and anyone else who would be willing) I would really love it you could share photos...I am a visual person and would really like to see it (sorry to the posing dogs!!) so I can explain and maybe even show exactally what I want to my groomer.

Thank you!!

Oh, and Loreneinger, I love that the term of getting a Brazilian has now made it into our cavalier grooming discussions! Ha.

Thanks everyone!! Lani (and anyone else who would be willing) I would really love it you could share photos...

Lucky's only standing inside when he's on squirrel patrol! But then his tail is wagging and it looks like this - which would not be much help to you:
1320496099.jpg

Any other time he's standing his tail is often down, but I caught these on our walk this morning. Don't worry it wasn't really that much of a private moment, Lucky was just lifting his leg for us, he had nothing left to mark! :lol: It's a much better view of the butt hair than I would have been able to get otherwise. Here's a profile picture of it as well:
1320495959.jpg
1320496019.jpg

Hope they help. Lucky's cut is working great - nothing really getting caught there and this time of year leaves would also be a problem. It has been about a month (or maybe a bit more) since our last groomer appointment. I'm planning to have her trim it again next time we go in so we keep it short. Sparky's hair looks the same, maybe just a little longer since he does not have the diarrhea/soft stool issues Lucky is prone to.

Last edited:
Sophie's petticoat is trimmed the same as Lani's dog, Lucky -- down to the hock. In addition, I trim from the tail out a little more away from the body, as that can drag into unsavory stuff, too, at least with Sophie. She ... 'repositions' a lot, while pooing. She's not a show dog, so we try to be practical more than glam.

(ETA: Sorry the pictures are so big, I don't know how to resize them as they're not mine.) I always give my dogs a "poop chute", LOL, that's what the groomer calls it. Also, the pee areas get trimmed too. Here's what it looks like on the boys (Stolen from a Papillon grooming site):

Before:

7575aWeb.jpg

After:
7590Web.jpg

And the poop chute:

7472Web.jpg

Inverted "V"

7475Web.jpg

I had fudges back feathering trimmed only the once....just reinforced my thoughts of her being an Angel:lol: ..

6054_136280498782_772508782_3270407_1367813_n.jpg

no offence meant btw

THANK YOU!! All your answers were great and now I know exactly what to tell the groomer...thank you thank you! And most of all, I must say thanks to the sweet little ones that let their butts be known on the internet! Ha, what they will do for us ;) Much appreciated everyone.

Back