Thread: Advice on flea treatment for dog with CM,PSOM

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on flea treatment for dog with CM,PSOM

Hi,
    My Bee is on a monthly treatment of frontline plus and heartgard plus since he is 5 months old. A few days ago I noticed a white piece in his stool, took it to the vet and he has tapeworm. I don't find any flea on him and don't know how he got tapeworm. This is the first time for him.
    May be frontline plus is not effective?
    Any advice what product I should use considering he has CM and PSOM.
    Thanks
    Kitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think you need to worry about making choices based on the CM or PSOM. frontline just treats fleas, not worms. So you need to get a wormer from your vet. Dogs easily pick up worms from all sorts of places and puppies will almost always have them and need to be treated several times. Heartgard treats most worms, but not tapeworm.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    I don't think you need to worry about making choices based on the CM or PSOM. frontline just treats fleas, not worms. So you need to get a wormer from your vet. Dogs easily pick up worms from all sorts of places and puppies will almost always have them and need to be treated several times. Heartgard treats most worms, but not tapeworm.
    A dog gets tapeworm from ingesting a flea. There is no monthly preventive or routine wormer that kills tapeworms; one treats a dog only when tapeworm is suspected, generally from finding tapeworm segments in feces. (Segments look like grains of white rice.)

Droncit, Cestex, Drontal, Drontal Plus are highly effective against all the common dog tapeworms. Use them under veterinary guidance. Praziquantel or epsiprantel is active ingredient. The key to controlling tapeworm is to control fleas on the dog.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was reading that they can also sometimes get them from other sources, but most often it is from fleas. As you say the key point is that a treatment for the tapeworms needs to be obtained as Frontline and Heartgard don't specifically prevent them.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    A dog gets tapeworm from ingesting a flea. There is no monthly preventive or routine wormer that kills tapeworms; one treats a dog only when tapeworm is suspected, generally from finding tapeworm segments in feces. (Segments look like grains of white rice.)

Droncit, Cestex, Drontal, Drontal Plus are highly effective against all the common dog tapeworms. Use them under veterinary guidance. Praziquantel or epsiprantel is active ingredient. The key to controlling tapeworm is to control fleas on the dog.

Pat
    Vet gave me Drontal plus, 2 tablets now and 2 tablets 3 weeks from first dose.
    He has no flea on him that is why I donot know how he got tapeworm.
    Thanks
    Kitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

My Daisy has CM and PSOM and we use Frontline mid Oct and mid March then Advantage in July just two weeks
    before we go to The Lake District and lots of forest and lakeside walks ,we also use Drontal plus on each occasion and thankfully have never had any worms ,fleas ,ticks or the like .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi

My Daisy has CM and PSOM and we use Frontline mid Oct and mid March then Advantage in July just two weeks
    before we go to The Lake District and lots of forest and lakeside walks ,we also use Drontal plus on each occasion and thankfully have never had any worms ,fleas ,ticks or the like .
    Brian,
    So you only need to use frontline in Oct and March, Advantage in July. Only 3 times a year? I like that so we minimize chemical exposure to dogs.
    Thanks
    Kitty