• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Be sure to read this new advice on vaccines!

I haven't given vaccines other than the puppy sets, followed by a booster a year later, for many years now. When I lived in Plymouth there was a huge number of unvaccinated dogs passing my home on an almost hourly basis, yet none of mine ever contracted any diseases from them, not even lepto.

None of the vets I have used over the years have ever asked me to keep my dogs off floors trodden by their other patients, vaccinated or otherwise, although I have referred each and every vet to the work of Dr Jean Dodds on the subject, which is when they give up the argument. Now doesn't that say something :)

I used to get titers done, but gave them up after several years of findings that the immunity levels were too high to require vaccinations.

I haven't given vaccines other than the puppy sets, followed by a booster a year later, for many years now.
I used to get titers done, but gave them up after several years of findings that the immunity levels were too high to require vaccinations.

Same here - I stopped annual vaccinations in 1997 - nearly fifteen years ago. I did titers for a couple of years, until I learned that they are pretty meaningless because memory cells are what is important rather than antibodies. I'd much prefer to spend the money on things like wellness blood chemistry (esp. for the seniors) rather than waste it on titers. I've had 16-18 dogs during this time period. I do usually give another rabies vaccination or perhaps two at the ages of 4 and MAYBE 7, but that is all.

Pat

My breeder gave me a copy of Dr Jean Dodds vaccination schedule and that is what I hand to every vet who tries to over vaccinate my dog.

Hi

Took Poppy and Rosie to the vets on Friday over a minorproblem and the vet commented that both
were well over due with their annual boosters ,I just commented that we are'nt doing them
anymore which she just accepted without further comment .Possibly many more owners
are learning and declining them.

Same here - I stopped annual vaccinations in 1997 - nearly fifteen years ago. I did titers for a couple of years, until I learned that they are pretty meaningless because memory cells are what is important rather than antibodies. I'd much prefer to spend the money on things like wellness blood chemistry (esp. for the seniors) rather than waste it on titers. I've had 16-18 dogs during this time period. I do usually give another rabies vaccination or perhaps two at the ages of 4 and MAYBE 7, but that is all.

Pat

I think I probably stopped the vaccinations round about the same time as you did Pat :)

We don't do rabies shots over here unless dogs are going abroad. I think the Pet Passport requires it. Any dogs brought into the UK without the Pet Passport have to go into 6 months' quarantine in specially approved kennels. I think the last case of Rabies we had in the UK was in the 1970s. Will somebody correct me if I am wrong please.

Because we have to board our Sophie from time to time, and any responsible boarding kennel will want vaccine information, we had Sophie titered back in early September, before she was boarded. We'll probably keep titering, until the results come back negative. At that point we'll vaccinate as needed. The rabies will be absolutely required, and the rest will be dealt with on an as needed basis.

My vet did not give me any resistance when I asked for the titering. In fact, he was very accommodating. He probably either knew this announcement was coming up, or had done his homework.

I'm assuming the vaccinations are pretty much the same worldwide.
Jessie's puppy needles were for Parvovirus, Distemper, and Hepatitis.
Then his final shot was to protect against all of the above, plus Parainfluenza & Bordatella Bronchiseptica.

A silly question, but as our dogs age, how do we know whether they are being over vaccinated?
Most of us that haven't had a pet in quite a while, probably feel a little bamboozled by what exactly our furry buddies
need to be vaccinated against, rather what a vet will push for.

Are their any specific vaccinations that Cavalier owners need to be aware of for our particular breed?

Nothing is particular to the breed -- I recommend following the guidelines I link to in this thread. I have done every three years but none after age 7 (so that is a year 1,4 and 7 booster) but in future would not give boosters beyond year one without titering to see if they are needed. As my cats are indoor cats I never gave them more than their first two boosters or so.

It is worth reading the link I posted in the health/diet forum on lepto as this is a controversial vaccine.

Pet Passport dogs all need to have rabies vaccines (and core boosters) within the timeframe of them being issued (and be titered for rabies) -- at least in the US to go to Europe and I assume, generally on the scheme internationally.

Kennel requirements are probably the main sticking point in trying to get way from annual boosters!

Back