Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coping with Prednisolone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am not sure just a CSF inhibitor will help if prednisone doesn;t. But is she on gabapentin or has Lyrica been tried if gabapentin didn't work? An NSAID and/or CSF drug alongside either of those? Clare Rusbridge's treatment algorithm goes through just about everything else long before prednisone/prednisalone... gabapentin/lyrica is generally what helps most with scratching, not prednisone (and especially -- without prednisone's side effects).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, sorry

She's been on Gabapentin since her MRI scan at the start of October. She has 100mg thrice a day.
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh OK!

It is o course important to work through any regime with your neurologist -- but that is a pretty moderate level of gabapentin and if she is getting only gabapentin, following Clare's algorithm you'd have a huge range of things to try before prednisone inclusing increasing the gabapentin to 150 3x say. And Lyrica is generally more productive, and at lower doses, than gabapentin (it is a further development along the same lines as gabapentin).

Prednisone just introduces so many other headaches so often that if there's lots of other things to try, that is what I would be doing. You can download Clare's treatment algorithm from her website. I'd discuss it with your neurologist to consider other options unless there is a strong reason the neuro feels predisone is needed rather than trying all the other possibilities (and there are a lot, for a dog only on 100mg 3x of gabapentin ).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Clare's treatment algorithm was the reason I had questioned the Prednisolone to begin with. I know each Neuro will probably have their own ways to begin treatment, but I just didn't feel that comfortable with the fact we weren't trying a reducer first. I don't want to wave it around telling them how to do their job, but the steroids seemed a little final.

We'll keep our fingers crossed we see some positive reasults with the cimetidine
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphy's mum View Post
    Madpip, now you mention it I'm sure that was the other thing the vet mentioned, a powdered bran I think he said. The stuff from a natural health shop would probably be better I suppose? Although she does try her luck when I have my Branflakes

She's had her supper so we'll see how she does tomorrow, I'd kill for a lie in till 7 or 8
    Yes it is a powdered oatbran rather than bran flakes. I get mine from the breakfast cereal aisle in Tesco's. It's just a plain packaging, own brand, near to the Scotts Porridge oats etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Bonnie was on 1/2 tablet prednisolone twice a day and it was effective for controlling her scratching, we eventually had to include gabapentin due to pain in her back legs. And yes she was always hungry, but I found she was worse around my Mum because she is a big softy and would feed Bonnie when she looked at her. Around me not too many problems because she knew the rules, so at times you do need to be a little tough. I did put her on a low calorie diet so she could have more to eat but she was still my little fatty.

Be aware that you need to be careful with vaccinations...we didn't vaccinate Bonnie after a couple of years due to the fact that pred. can affect their immune system, which I wonder if this was the cause of us having to make that awful decision to PTS as she was unable to fight a severe infection in her lungs after having an abcess removed which was wrapped around her larynx.

So pred. did give Bon Bon better quality of her short life but there are alot of side effects so if you can wean her off it so much the better. We couldn't.
    Paula

Molly (Tri female),
    Murphy (Blen boy), and Bonnie (running at the rainbow bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Paula

How long was Bonnie on prednislone alone before gabapentin was introduced ,and I presume the pred was to
    control her scratching .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T