• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New puppy comes home today - now I'm nervous!!!

Chloe is absolutely precious! :l*v: And it sounds like you're doing great! Bailey was a little nervous outside at first, too -- like BrooklynMom said, too many new smells and sounds. There are so many new things and firsts for our little angels when we first bring them home. No wonder they're a little nervous! As it's already been suggested, just spending some time outside with no expectations of pottying will help. In no time Chloe will be dying to get outside whenever she can to play!

I can't wait to see more pictures! ;)
Thanks Portia! I will say - it's nice to be in a place where everyone likes to see our puppy pictures! I know I'll drive my coworkers and family crazy with too many in no time. ;) I'll make sure to take her out daily just to explore. :)

Thanks Lucidity! :) I'm doing exactly what you did - the door is off of Chloe's crate, and it's inside her expen. I have started covering the entire floor in there with puppy pads... until her aim is a little bit better. :) Did your first dog have trouble transitioning to pottying outside? I can't even imagine Chloe pottying outside at this point. I should buy stock in puppy pads... ;)

That's what I did too, haha. I lined the entire kitchen pretty much with potty pads and slowly he began to favour one corner and so I would just place pads in that corner. He never had a problem going outside--I think the pads were mostly used when he wasn't able to go outside to relieve himself. At about 4 months old he started refusing to use the pads, and would only go outside on the grass, which was fine by me because by then he could hold it for about 4 hours and that's how often I brought him out for walks.

I didn't really have a choice back then on the pads, because we lived in a highrise apartment and it would've been impossible to let him out to potty every hour. In fact, a couple of times he had accidents right outside the elevator/in front of my neighbour's door, lol.

I'm glad you're having fun with your new puppy. Nalu still prefers commands that have hand signals and responds very well to a pointing downward signal for "sit", adding all fingers for "down", and combining them for "sit down", which she has to do to get a treat.

I'm glad you're having fun with your new puppy. Nalu still prefers commands that have hand signals and responds very well to a pointing downward signal for "sit", adding all fingers for "down", and combining them for "sit down", which she has to do to get a treat.
How long did it take Nalu to learn the commands? Did you teach one at a time? I gave Chloe a break today from the "sit" command, but I guess daily might be key for her to get it? I'd love to hear how you did it since it worked! :)

Very cut little pup. Hard to remember Vivian that small. I worked with Chelsea as a puppy 5 min 2-3 times a day with treats to learn comands. (suggested by agility instructor, worked well). Have fun.

How long did it take Nalu to learn the commands? Did you teach one at a time? I gave Chloe a break today from the "sit" command, but I guess daily might be key for her to get it? I'd love to hear how you did it since it worked! :)
Nalu learned really quickly. We tucked the treat in our hand so she was aware it was there and showed her the signal while moving it toward her head which automatically made her sit down and then added the verbal. To get her to lie down we moved the treat toward the floor which made her automatically lie down to get at it.

Thanks Suz and Nalu's mom! :) Chloe doesn't seem to be getting the "sit" command. She seems overly excited when I try to teach her and wants to play. I'm not sure it actually was registering. I guess I need to keep at it.

Keep at it, you'll get there. Some commands are easier to learn than others, but keep your treats handy and when he
performs a command, make a huge fuss.

Our Jessie knows how to sit, shake hands, dance and go around in a circle.
Sitting only took a few days, with just using the command during normal play.
When he would sit, I would say, 'sit, good boy', then worked that into using a treat and holding it near his nose and moving
it slightly above his head, which made him automatically sit. I kept using the term 'sit' and once he sat, I gave him the treat and
made a big deal about it.

Shaking hands took only half an hour one morning while we were playing. The dancing came about when I had music on and was dancing around and he kept jumping up on me and wanting to join.

Whenever he hears me singing, he'll jump up now to dance :lol:

Keep at it, you'll get there. Some commands are easier to learn than others, but keep your treats handy and when he
performs a command, make a huge fuss.

Our Jessie knows how to sit, shake hands, dance and go around in a circle.
Sitting only took a few days, with just using the command during normal play.
When he would sit, I would say, 'sit, good boy', then worked that into using a treat and holding it near his nose and moving
it slightly above his head, which made him automatically sit. I kept using the term 'sit' and once he sat, I gave him the treat and
made a big deal about it.

Shaking hands took only half an hour one morning while we were playing. The dancing came about when I had music on and was dancing around and he kept jumping up on me and wanting to join.

Whenever he hears me singing, he'll jump up now to dance :lol:
Wow!!! I really need to change tactic with Chloe. I think I messed up about 2 days ago. She has a toy that is long and can be used for tugging. We didn't play a tugging game, but I would circle it around and she would chase it, catch it, and go wild. Even when I just held it out for her, she'd charge it, play and keep at it for 10 minutes or more. She then became very hyper afterwards until she wore herself out and then reverted back to sweet puppy to take a nap. Now, she is always hyper during play. I have put that toy away and I know I read your'e not supposed to play chase games and such. (I did that too. I would walk really fast, dragging my feet, letting her follow me. It seemed fun... but again, I think I messed up.)

She also tries to nip - well, chew really - my toes and fingers, and thinks it's a game. THe toes I never let her do, but the fingers - she had a good soft mouth when we were just sitting and then she'd have a finger in her mouth. Very cute (I know, I shouldn't have done it) - but the problem is when we started playing, she'd be too hyper and would go after the fingers and toes biting hard. She does stop if I make a startling sound (now it takes several sounds at times to get her to stop), but then seems to do it again, and then I try to make another starting sound. Hopefully she'll change. It's just hard to imagine right now.

So - now I have to figure out some type of play that does not cause aggression that she enjoys. Some commands, and then no chasing. (?) Did any of you experience this hyperactivity - and more importantly, were you able to successfully curb the behavior?

(Btw, she sleeps in her crate at night now without protest or crying! She stays in there all night and uses the puppy pads if she has to go. So, there have been some successes :))

Hey there!

Well, I am not the expert on here...but I would say all of that is very very normal for this age. That was Brooklyn in a nut shell, and now she is much different (that happened through training classes and just general growing up). But even now, Brooky has the "crazy hour" :) When she will run full speed from the living room down the hall outside circle the BBQ and back again. I have turned this into a game with her, doing commands, using toys, and sometimes just letting her go and burning off her crazies. All the things you just wrote below were all of my concerns too. I remember calling our trainer almost in tears because I thought she was crazy, hyperactive, she kept nipping us, she wouldnt listen. My trainer helped a lot to just accept this part of puppyhood, train and also, not expect so much so soon. Really, Brooklyn did not start "getting it" til about 6 months, those first few months were hard for me, I was so out of my element. But a good trainer and just enjoying the crazies is your best bet. I used to worry so much, or get concerned or annoyed or freaked out...and it turns out my energy fueled hers. Once I just chilled out and let it happen, focused on my training, Brooky was a changed dog. But again...that was much later. Most of this is just puppy...like it or not! ;)

As far as games go, I think you just have to listen to your own dog. There are some toys (the Babble Ball is one!!) that just make Brooky crazy, like totally mental and hyper like you said. So, I usually don't play with them, or if I do, once I see her state of mind go too high, I just calmly take away and replace with a chew toy, bully stick or something calm. She is this way with bubbles too...she loves bubbles and it is calm and fun for a while, but I always have to stop before she gets the crazies (usually after 5 minutes), because they make her a bit nuts-o too ha. I mean, I play tug with Brooky, she is fine, we have fun. A good trick if you want her to release the toy (before you have taught "drop") is just to lightly blow on her nose. This instinctually releases their jaw...works every time :) I also play a form of chase, I call it tag or hide and seek and Brooklyn loves it. But again, you know your dog so just pay attention to what is good for them, every dog is different. But those crazies/hypers you mention, really are just puppies. Sometimes they just need to burn off that burst of energy, no matter how long your walk just was! That is what my trainer told me. So I wouldn't say you messed up, don't worry :) Maybe just play games that make you more comfortable about her energy level, but do expect those "bursts" of hyperness for a while.

With the biting. Totally normal too. They won't stop right away and you are doing the right things. When you screetch "ouch!" (or whatever you do to let her know it hurts even if it does not, screetch every time), then also at the same time, get up and walk away. Remove yourself from the game. She will soon learn she hurt you and lost a play buddy. Not something they want! If you stay around and keep playing, she won't get the message. End play. Also you can instantly replace with a chew toy (kong, bully, etc) if you want. But again, this won't stop right away even if you are doing the right thing (you are!!), it is puppy head, so just keep doing it. One day, you will go "ahhh! it clicked!!" Make sure Chloe has lots of chew things that are interesting too. Once she starts teething I used to put toys in water then in the freezer...cool chew toy and they love it!

So end all, you are doing a good job...and we are always here to help!! I learned SO much in my first year with Brooklyn, more than I ever thought I would have. And also remember that puppy behaviour is not always leading to aggressive behaviour at all. It is just puppy, and it is not your fault. :) I gather, that age will cure 90% of this if you stick with what you know.

Also, are you set up for a puppy school yet? And then training classes after? Those worked wonders for us. Hope that helps! I am a rambler, sorry!!!

Oh and BRAVO on the crate and puppy pads!! It took Brooky way longer than that. Celebrate these successes...it all comes in time :luv:

Hyperactive? That's an understatement :lol:
He goes on, what we've called, 'his bonkers run', where he'll have these bursts of hyperactivity and will just run and
run. throw toys around and generally be a little ratbag and takes it out on his squeaky toys. He loves it and we don't stop him,
he isn't hurting anyone and he's not being aggressive beyond a little rough play. We figure that he needs to have his crazy bouts, as he's
teething and it has to be frustrating for him.

Jessie is the same with feet, but generally only mine. Toes, socks, shoes, slippers, you name it. Funnily enough, he was doing that before
we brought him home at 7 weeks as well. It's only lately that after persisting, he has moved on and now tugs at my bootleg pants.
It's only when he wants to play and he tries to drag me over to his toys. If the whimpering and crying out isn't working with Chloe
when she nips, try replacing whatever she is chewing with a chewable treat, like a Kong (as most people recommend them) but we use
Kangaroo or bully sticks. He'll do anything for a Roo stick. Jessie doesn't respond to NO or growling at him really, so we use more
positive reinforcement. Ignore (when safe to do so) his naughtiness and praise his behind off when he's being a good boy.

That's fantastic about her potty training. Our little guy hasn't been as successful, since day one when we brought him home, he wont
use the grass to go to the potty, I would grab him and redirect him, but he would run off and only do it on our gravel or concrete.
We haven't used create training, as we didn't feel comfortable with using that technique at the time, so I think that's how we've
fallen down a little. I wish we had of, and so does our new carpet.

Once you get into a routine with her, it'll all click in. There is no rule that you need to start with obedience training straight away.
We didn't. One of the best things I've noticed, if you have friends or family members with great dogs. It's amazing how much a pup
will learn from an older dog that has good behaviour traits. That is probably more valuable than classes or puppy preschool. Try
it yourself first, as it ends up really expensive and you'll need a second job just to keep her :lol:

Hey there!

Well, I am not the expert on here...but I would say all of that is very very normal for this age. That was Brooklyn in a nut shell, and now she is much different (that happened through training classes and just general growing up)....
Thank you sooooo much BrooklynMom for your detailed response. Not rambling - very helpful. It's good to know that Chloe's "crazies" are normal lol! :) I love that phrase - that's an excellent way to put it. I'm glad to hear Brooklyn overcame it, and look forward to Chloe doing the same - but I'll enjoy this "puppy time" since I understand now I didn't mess her up and I didn't get a puppy with an aggressive gene or something. Thanks again for all of your suggestions and support BrooklynMom. You know I'm taking notes! :)

Hyperactive? That's an understatement :lol:
He goes on, what we've called, 'his bonkers run', where he'll have these bursts of hyperactivity and will just run and
run. throw toys around and generally be a little ratbag and takes it out on his squeaky toys. He loves it and we don't stop him,
he isn't hurting anyone and he's not being aggressive beyond a little rough play. We figure that he needs to have his crazy bouts, as he's
teething and it has to be frustrating for him.

Jessie is the same with feet, but generally only mine. Toes, socks, shoes, slippers, you name it. Funnily enough, he was doing that before
we brought him home at 7 weeks as well. ...
Thanks for your message too JessieandMe! :) Chloe too doesn't respond to "No." Yesterday, I went out and bought some enticing Biljac treats. I also bought the bitter apple spray. She does seem to be responding to the sit command now - very much so with those new treats! I guess I won't really know until I teach her another command if it's just coincidence or if she's really getting it, but at least she is sitting down! Chloe does the running at full speed too!

Now the toes - I sprayed my toes with the bitter apple spray. Totally worked yesterday! This morning she was really going for the toes, so I sprayed one foot with the bitter apple. It worked - for awhile - but she then went back and bit a toe that I *know* I sprayed. I think she likes biting my toes more than she dislikes the bitter apple flavor lol.

I haven't started training yet. I do plan to take her to a puppy class after she has all of her shots since my breeder suggested it. I'm curious what she will learn - and since I don't know anyone with a dog that I would want Chloe around, it'll be interesting to see Chloe around some other puppies.

I must say - Chloe has made a few mistakes now. My fault- when I wasn't looking at her, she peed on her play blanket, and even escaped from her pen on day and pooped on the carpet. :( So, I have to watch her like a hawk. Apparently she doesn't really understand that her puppy pads are the only place she she potty. But as long as she potties when she first wakes up, and I put her in there when the sniffing starts, then she's golden. :) Still won't potty outside though....

Now I'm long-winded so will stop. :)

Last edited:
Back