Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New puppy comes home today - now I'm nervous!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    Chloe is absolutely precious! And it sounds like you're doing great! Bailey was a little nervous outside at first, too -- like BrooklynMom said, too many new smells and sounds. There are so many new things and firsts for our little angels when we first bring them home. No wonder they're a little nervous! As it's already been suggested, just spending some time outside with no expectations of pottying will help. In no time Chloe will be dying to get outside whenever she can to play!

I can't wait to see more pictures!
    Thanks Portia! I will say - it's nice to be in a place where everyone likes to see our puppy pictures! I know I'll drive my coworkers and family crazy with too many in no time. I'll make sure to take her out daily just to explore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ohhh, she's adorable! Makes me already want to get another puppy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

She's adorable. Congratulations and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jessie & lscott!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calandra View Post
    Thanks Lucidity! I'm doing exactly what you did - the door is off of Chloe's crate, and it's inside her expen. I have started covering the entire floor in there with puppy pads... until her aim is a little bit better. Did your first dog have trouble transitioning to pottying outside? I can't even imagine Chloe pottying outside at this point. I should buy stock in puppy pads...
    That's what I did too, haha. I lined the entire kitchen pretty much with potty pads and slowly he began to favour one corner and so I would just place pads in that corner. He never had a problem going outside--I think the pads were mostly used when he wasn't able to go outside to relieve himself. At about 4 months old he started refusing to use the pads, and would only go outside on the grass, which was fine by me because by then he could hold it for about 4 hours and that's how often I brought him out for walks.

I didn't really have a choice back then on the pads, because we lived in a highrise apartment and it would've been impossible to let him out to potty every hour. In fact, a couple of times he had accidents right outside the elevator/in front of my neighbour's door, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you're having fun with your new puppy. Nalu still prefers commands that have hand signals and responds very well to a pointing downward signal for "sit", adding all fingers for "down", and combining them for "sit down", which she has to do to get a treat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu View Post
    I'm glad you're having fun with your new puppy. Nalu still prefers commands that have hand signals and responds very well to a pointing downward signal for "sit", adding all fingers for "down", and combining them for "sit down", which she has to do to get a treat.
    How long did it take Nalu to learn the commands? Did you teach one at a time? I gave Chloe a break today from the "sit" command, but I guess daily might be key for her to get it? I'd love to hear how you did it since it worked!

Post Thanks / Like

Very cut little pup. Hard to remember Vivian that small. I worked with Chelsea as a puppy 5 min 2-3 times a day with treats to learn comands. (suggested by agility instructor, worked well). Have fun.
    Suzanne mom to Chelsea(ruby girl), Vivian (tri girl),Kara(rescue kitty), Tyson and Candy(Tonk kittys at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calandra View Post
    How long did it take Nalu to learn the commands? Did you teach one at a time? I gave Chloe a break today from the "sit" command, but I guess daily might be key for her to get it? I'd love to hear how you did it since it worked!
    Nalu learned really quickly. We tucked the treat in our hand so she was aware it was there and showed her the signal while moving it toward her head which automatically made her sit down and then added the verbal. To get her to lie down we moved the treat toward the floor which made her automatically lie down to get at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Suz and Nalu's mom! Chloe doesn't seem to be getting the "sit" command. She seems overly excited when I try to teach her and wants to play. I'm not sure it actually was registering. I guess I need to keep at it.