• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Phoebe and night time.

brid kenny

Hi all! Another question for you.
Phoebe has gotten into the habit of going downstairs in the middle of the night and needs to be let out once or twice. It's getting frustrating as it has been going on for over a year and it disturbs my sleep. I feel that it's a habit rather than anything else.
I know that I let her have water all the time but if I take it away she starts barking for it in the middle of the night. I put out puppy pads last night but no interest. It's hard to sit it out as I have a flatmate and don't want to disturb her.

Hummm, have you checked for a UTI? That is the only thing I can think of that would disturb the "holding it through the night"...unless it is habit, well then you will have to have some tough love. Maybe talk to your roomate? Say there will be a bit of a tough week ahead with some dog whining so maybe put in some eat plugs??

Also, if your dog is allowed to wander, maybe consider having her sleep in an x-pen or crate or baby gate her sleep area off.

Sorry I don't have better advice!

Forrest did the same thing for a week or so. I was starting to think he was doing it on purpose. I mean it was every 45 minutes the ENTIRE night and I knew there was no way he really couldn't hold it. I thought it might just be that he enjoyed those few minutes when I took him out at night and he was either faking going to the bathroom or just not trying to hold it. So, we let him sleep with us, and guess what...he sleeps through the whole night now. I'm not suggesting this (even though he is so adorable when he tries to spoon with us) because I know not everyone wants their dog in bed, but I really think it was a comfort thing, and he just wanted to be near us. Maybe yours is doing the same...who knows. Also, I'm guessing how we handled it is the opposite of what you're supposed to do, but everyone sleeps great now and we're all happy :)

Forrest did the same thing for a week or so. I was starting to think he was doing it on purpose. I mean it was every 45 minutes the ENTIRE night and I knew there was no way he really couldn't hold it. I thought it might just be that he enjoyed those few minutes when I took him out at night and he was either faking going to the bathroom or just not trying to hold it. So, we let him sleep with us, and guess what...he sleeps through the whole night now. I'm not suggesting this (even though he is so adorable when he tries to spoon with us) because I know not everyone wants their dog in bed, but I really think it was a comfort thing, and he just wanted to be near us. Maybe yours is doing the same...who knows. Also, I'm guessing how we handled it is the opposite of what you're supposed to do, but everyone sleeps great now and we're all happy

We're guilty too
Cherna-facepalm.gif
If ours is having a restless night, he snuggles with hubby in bed until he falls asleep and
I pop him back in his bed. On the odd occasion where he's slept the whole night in our bed, he wont wake to go to the toilet either.
He actually isn't interested in getting up in the morning at all.
Is she peeing when she goes out?

If she's drinking more water than usual, she should be checked by the vet. Nalu's been up in the night lately, and it progressively got worse. First once, then twice, then three times a night. I had a urine sample tested and it had bacteria in it, so now she's on a mild dose of antibiotics for two weeks. She sleeps better now, especially if she gets exercise.

Yes Jessie she's peeing when she goes outside. I normally go to bed at half ten at night but last night I went at half eleven and she stayed until half six. Not bad?

Back