• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Red Tailed Hawks

Mooch

Hi All,

How long will I have to wait to let my dogs out back to play without having to worry about the Red tailed Hawks? It seems no matter what time I take them out back there are the hawks. They are amazing birds and how they try and team up to distract me, wow. Dose anyone else experence this and what can we do?

Thank you,

To be honest–at the very least, until they are adults, and even then, a large hawk could pick up and carry away a small cavalier. I know people who have had problems with hawks and adult Cavaliers and certainly, a puppy is absolutely vulnerable. I do know people who deliberately own a larger breed dog in order to afford some protection to a smaller breed like Cavaliers. If they can kill and carry a rabbit, they can easily take a cavalier. Maybe some others have suggestions on how they deal with this, but it is definitely a problem if you live in an area where there are large birds of prey or coyotes–who will also take small dogs.

From the AKC website http://www.akc.org/press_center/akc_syndicate/ask_AKC/0907.cfm:

Last month I wrote about the dangers of dogs and hawks. I felt it was important to share the following stories and insights I received from readers since I’d not personally heard of any incidents where a hawk carried off a dog. However, many readers have had their share of heartbreak and close calls regarding large birds of prey and their small dogs and puppies. Their response prompted me to create a new section in this column called Bark Back where I will share comments and advice from readers.~ Bark Back ~

Dear Lisa: Believe it - hawks DO attempt to hunt small dogs! Just this week I lost my 8 year old “Min Pin” after a large hawk attempted to fly off with him. My poor dog managed to break free from the talons but the hawk was high enough in the air to cause him a severe head injury when he fell to the ground, as well as suffering a punctured lung from a talon piercing his chest. He did not survive long enough to get him to our vet for a merciful passing. You are right to advise leashes or other restraints.Please pass on this warning and re-emphasize the dangers. – T.D.
Dear Lisa: Large hawks will most certainly capture small dogs and fly off with them for a tasty meal. We lost a 15 yr. old Minpin/Chihauhau mix to a Red-tailed hawk last spring. Our dog weighed about 10 lbs. She evidently managed to struggle free while in the air but the fall killed her. We had seen a pair of hawks hanging around our yard and the physical evidence was positive proof. – R.B.
Dear Lisa: I am an attorney in Macon, Ga. and have a client that lost a Chihuahua to a hawk on Thanksgiving Day 1999. Many family members observed this tragedy and it was reported in our local newspaper. The family was outside enjoying a warm fall day after the holiday meal when the hawk swooped down only a few feet from them and carried off the dog. – G.L.
Dear Lisa: I just read your newsletter responding to the inquiry about the danger of hawks to dogs. We live in Southern California, and I have a co-worker whose friend's Yorkie was snatched up by a hawk while in the back yard. This woman only looked away for a minute, but it was too late and you can imagine the heartbreak!! Please inform your readers so they can keep their dogs close at all times, preferably on a leash! – V.G.
Dear Lisa: I read your column, and would ask that you consider elaborating on your response regarding keeping hawks away from dogs. It's something I've also been wondering about for some time. I recently moved to a rural area and have seen hawks. Althoughyour response wasexcellentfor someone who has onedog (or a small number of dogs) and/or lives in an area without a fenced in yard, it's not very practical for a breeder who has a number of adults as well as a number of puppies. I never took the step of contacting an organization associatedwith raptors (hawks, etc.) They may have some practicalinformation about how to discourage hawks from hanging around the property. – M.G.
There really isn’t a good way to rid your property of birds of prey since nearly 800 species of native and migratory birds are protected by federal law. The statute makes it unlawful to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill or sell live or dead birds or any of their parts. These birds are very territorial to boot, so it’s best to put your energies into protecting your pets. Here are some reader recommendations based on their personal experiences to answer your question:
Dear Lisa: I live in a rural area where hawks and owls are common. I don't worry about my adult Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers, but am very cautious with puppies. When the weather allows the pups to play outside, I keep them in a covered and enclosed pen. The cover prevents the pups from being seen from the air, but I can watch them through the wire sides. I actually had a large owl land in the yard and attempt to get into the pen from the side. Until the pups are at least 15-20 lbs I don't let them into the main (fully fenced) yard unless a responsible person is watching carefully for predators. Until my dogs are close to full grown they are only allowed out of the covered pen in the presence of a person and/or adult dogs. – A.R.
Dear Lisa: I manage a Min Pin Show Kennel and tragically lost1 puppy in an ex-pen ona beautiful spring day! These were out on the deck and before we could do anything we witnessed the large hawk fly down and grab the puppy. This was in Connecticut. All ex-pens are covered now but when the pups are out you can hear the birds screeching to each other letting them know "food" is around. – S.M.
Thanks to the many comments and I look forward to hearing from you!

Lisa Peterson, a long-time owner/breeder/handler of Norwegian Elkhounds, is the AKC Director of Club Communications. If you have a question, send it to Lisa at [email protected] and she may select it to be answered here in Ask AKC.

I saw on the local news a chihuahua that was grabbed by a bird of prey, while he was on leash. He survived because he was wearing a padded coat, which protected him from the talons, and kept the bird from getting a good grip.

It will not guarantee safety, but you may want to consider it.

Also, I don't know if this applies to birds of prey, but people use tin foil to protect fruits, and bushes from birds. Maybe setting up some of those highly reflective thermal emergency blankets could act as a humane deterrent?

My yard and the region I live and walk my dog is frequented by all sorts of predators. Nalu is small and young so I always have her leashed. An eagle came at her once but didn't like our boisterous attempts to protect our sweet precious. I appreciate the suggestion of a vest.

Wow, that is so far removed from living out here, birds of prey or coyotes.
I would invest in an enclosed dog run. I can't imagine a more devastating and horrific way of losing your pet.

Great information for those in rural areas.

When I know that hawks are around my property, I tail my small bitches like the Secret Service, and I carry a big stick. Most of the hawks seem interested only in small snakes and reptiles, but one never knows when they may get stupid and try to pick up a 12 lb. female. They probably could not lift her, but they can do a lot of damage just with their talons.

When I was very young and worked summers on a farm, I was in charge of the chickens. We put up chicken wire a little over a foot above the ground in a fenced area around the coop, so that the hawks and owls couldn't get to our hens. That may be an option, if your hawk population is a problem.

Last edited:
We have had a hawk recently flying low in my parents back yard. I've been staying with them but finally back in Charlotte. Elton is small and I will not let him in the back yard alone

Back