Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Harry is poorly - need advice

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Little Harry is poorly - need advice

Wow, it's been almost a year since I posted about my Little Harry, I was afraid we were inches away from that big decision we all dread.. Thankfully he made a recovery after a few days and I have been blessed with him for another year. He has been very happy and I have been closely monitoring his quality of life. However, now I'm stuck..

It's now Tuesday AM. On Saturday Harry vomited 4 times a yellow and very frothy substance. On sunday - nothing. Yesterday morning he vomited the same again according to my dad. He is drooling a lot and I have been wiping his mouth when I spot it hanging out. He is also smacking his lips a lot and doing this sort of sharp inhalation for about 5 seconds. I have heard his doing this before but only when he has eaten his food to quickly. When he breathes he sounds like he has a phlegmy throat.

I took him to his vet who just said its a side effect from MVD and to monitor him. Well I felt I already knew that.. but he didn't give much more advice.

Can anyone please help or share any experiences??

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't experienced this with Trapper, who has CHF because of MVD. Some mornings he sounds phlegmy first thing when we get up, like he needs to have a good cough to clear something. I hope Harry is feeling better now.
    When the heart can't pump properly, fluid can build up in the heart, lungs and abdomen, maybe this is what is happening with Harry. Have you looked at this website
    http://www.cavalierhealth.org/mitral...e.htm#Symptoms
    Is Harry on any medication?
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Thanks for your reply! Harry is on the highest possible dose of Fortekor, Frusomide, Prilactone and vzetmedin

He had a bad night last night, I stayed up with him as he threw up white froth with yellow 3 times as once this morning. A part of me wonders if it is even part of his MVD? It must be I suppose.. But he is throwing up a few hours after eating which makes it difficult to give him his tablets. He sounds so bunged up with mucus and his tummy is rumbling. I don't know what to do

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xoxHannaHxox View Post
    Hi Thanks for your reply! Harry is on the highest possible dose of Fortekor, Frusomide, Prilactone and vzetmedin
    So is Trapper At this stage, it's all about keeping them as comfortable and as happy as possible.
    I would give the vet a call to see what he says, even if it is just for reassurance. It could be a build up of fluid in Harry's tummy which is causing this.
    Hopefully someone else here has had experience of this and can give you some better advice.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I have a cavalier with MVD who is on Fortekor and Frusimide tablets, he does cough at times but his cough to me sounds like a dry cough, and very occasionally bring up a small amount of clear frothy phlem. Do you think Harry may have a stomach upset? my Jasper was bringing up a yellow frothy liquid earlier this year and at the same time he had colitis so it was all part of a stomach upset which required a visit to the vets who gave him a anti sickness injection and other medication. Hope Harry gets well soon it is such a worry when they are ill.
    Pam

and my two special boys Jasper age 13 and Ollie age 3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If Harry was one of my dogs I wouldn't be wondering whether to see the vet or not, I would be beating a path to his door to find out if he needs further treatment.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken him to see our vet already who said it was a side effect of his MVD. This vet is actually a director of the practice and said he was on the highest dose of his medication already. He gave me no further advice but to keep an eye on him. I have searched the web and I can't find one dot of info that relates his symptoms to his heart failure.

I went again today but there is no one I could talk to till later on today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry to read that your little boy is in so much discomfort. I'm not sure that I am able to help at all but I just want to say that I am thinking of you & Harry.

It is difficult to be quite sure what is happening from your description, but it does sound as if he is having difficulty breathing.
    I know he had severe MVD symptoms last year. Perhaps an urgent referral to a Cardiologist or has he recently been seen by one already?

I'm not sure about the vomiting. I have not experienced that symptom with my MVD cavaliers and I would have thought vomiting bile was more due to digestive problems or stomach irritation.
    It could be a side effect of the long term heart drugs I suppose.

Please let us know how he is doing.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you considered having him referred to a cardiologist?
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you and Harry and saying a prayer.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010