• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM/CM and pain behind eyes

Blondiemonster

Hey guys

As a lot of us have noticed I can see my Monster gets a bit uncomfortable
in low pressure weather. Her main symptom seems to be pain behind her left eye. I can tell because it is a bit more closed and bloodshot and sensitive to the touch. I assume it has to do with the pressure.
Anyone has notice pressure increase/painful eyes in their CM or SM dog?
Lynn

Blitz gets very painful eyes with every darn cold front that comes through. His eyes turn really bloodshot and he just looks so sad. If it's minor I just up his Gabapentin. If it's really bad I have Rimidyl on hand too. The last few cold fronts have been terrible. He is usually back to his bouncy, happy self within 1-2 days. But he is a little extra "scratchy" and slow for a few days. Usually the really red eyes are a good indicator a sever SM episode is coming on. He gets really scratchy and can get wobbly in the hindlegs. Lately he has only been having SM fits whenever the weather changes (Cold front or stores).

It's heartbreaking

Flash can get red eyes but not as bad as Blitz. His fits are not as sever either. He starts squinting his eyes a lot when the storms/cold fronts come in. He scratches a little more. I have noticed he has a "twitch" in just one eye when he is not feeling his best.

Holly has never gotten red eyes but she gets "sad" eyes. Just looks depressed during an episode. Also noticed her head gets hot to the touch.

I'm sure it's weather that makes it worse. I've started calling them my "weather predictors". They also all seem to get set off at the same time. We can be fine for weeks and then everyone is in a fit. Seems to always happen with the major weather change.

With Oliver, painful eyes are his main symptom, caused by pressure from his greatly dilated ventricles. His whites are always red and he is light sensitive because the pressure behind the eyes interferes with the functioning of his pupils, which close slowly and not completely. As with us if we go out without sunglasses or a hat in strong light (for Oliver mainly, but not entirely, strong sunlight - bright white cloud can also be difficult), we can get a headache and start squinting in an effort to protect our eyes. Oliver doesn't even need to be out in it, he can start squinting even if he is in the shade looking out at bright light, or indoors looking at the window.

One thing I do find helps Oliver if he starts whimpering in his sleep when he is lying straight on his tummy with his jaw on the floor, is to roll him gently over onto his side, so that the pressure created by the CSF isn't directly behind his eyes. Having his jaw pressed to the floor seems to send pressure up through his skull, which meets the pressure from behind the eyes and makes things worse. You might find your Monster is more comfortable if you roll her over so that she is not lying on her bad side and the CSF pressure moves away to the other side of the skull.

If you want to take Monster out on the days when her eye is hurting, a sun hat is a great help (Oliver has a snazzy tan cotton baseball cap), or even doggles (Oliver has a pair but hasn't needed to use them so far). Oliver's sun hat is actually Great Dane size! I have to tie a knot in the elastic that goes under his chin, but this size gives him a long and wide soft brim to shade his eyes and it works well.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Well guys. Im at the vets. I came home and looked at her eye and thought "no good". Saw a filmlike blue gaze over it. Im at the emergency vet . Its midnight. Waiting... I was worried about glaucoma. Dont know if and how that can be sm related. Will post again when i know more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no!! Lynn I am so sorry! No one likes the emergency vet, any time of night. Can you explain exactly what that is?

Poor Blondie, hugs to her from Brooky and I!!! :hug:

Its basically a deep ulcer with tons of inflammation and also pus in the eye. Hurts like hell. Shes on antibiotics and rimadyl and a cream against eye spasms. So confused.. The sm eye pain and this are probably unrelated..
We are now in the couch at 2 am cuddling and watching a movie. Tired. Thanks for the hugs!:)

Fingers crossed :xfngr: that this is something treatable that can be cleared up. Then you'll 'just' be left with the SM problem...

Hugs :hug: to Monster in her pain and Lynn in her anxiety (not to mention tiredness!), from

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Ouch,that sounds nasty.
Getting to the emergency vet was a good idea. Get well soon little furmonster!
Rimadyl is very good for eye pain.We had a rescue with severe eye ulcers and he was so much more comfortable on it while he healed.
Sins

I'm so sorry lynn. So glad you went to an emergency vet. Thinking of you and your little monster.

Just went through this with my 14 year old shih tzu - she also has dry eye. Her ulcer healed very quickly and the pain also stopped almost immediately as soon as we got treatment. I also went to the ER vet at night once I realized that there was a problem. With eye issues, it really is important to get immediate treatment. I'm so glad that you realized there was an issue and went to the ER!

Pat

Yikes, that sounds painful and uncomfortable! Poor little Blondie!! Thank goodness she has such a quick thinking mama like you Lynn, hopefully she gets to start healing now as fast as she can. Hang in there, pets to the little Monster.

Thamks for the wishes all!!! And thanks kelsey, i do go into mama mode: when my monster is hurting i turn into a bulldozer. Its like all my senses are heightened and i can think so clearly and fast. I am also not to be messed with !! :))
Monster has been sleeping lots today but she will hopefully feel better real soon..

Her eye us still really messed up..:( though her mood is a lot better so
I see that as a good sign!! Back to the vet wednesday..

Back