Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rosie Occasionaly Wets In Her Crate At Night

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Rosie Occasionaly Wets In Her Crate At Night

Hi

Dawn has told me that a couple of times a week lately Rosie's pillow has
    been damp .She sleeps in her own crate like they all so and have on the floor
    Vetmat Gold then a sheepskin rug on top then a pillow on top of that for comfort ,we do take
    them out last thing at night normally about 11.15 and Dawn is up at 6.00 am
    and lets them all out before they join me for an hour before I get up for work .
    Any ideas why she has started doing this of late ,I plan on taking her pillow out
    and poss her sheepskin but that makes me feel bad for doing it so any help
    or thoughts greatly appreciated .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brian

Has she any accidents during the day? She might caught a cold and got something like cystitis? She would be peeing a lot more if she would have that.

One another note, my dogs especially the two with SM would be far too hot with pillows and sheepskins. They sleep on top of my duvet and most of the time they go to sleep on the floor especially now the heating is on.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

I would get a urine sample. When Rylie did this he had a UTI. If that's what it is antibiotics will fix her up and if not then you can look further.
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Would get her in right away to check for a UTI as they can develop into kidney infections, which are more serious and uncomfortable.

Nicki knows more on this but some dogs with CM/SM become somewhat incontinent -- she has had this happen with a couple of her dogs.

Also -- would smell the pillow to be sure it is urine; Jaspar likes to sit on pillows and lick them -- they can end up quite damp. That said dog urine is less smelly than cats so can be harder to tell.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tks Ladies

Would never has guessed at that ,vet appointment
    made for 9.10 in morning nothing available tonight.
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thinking of you brian
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Tks Ladies

Would never has guessed at that ,vet appointment
    made for 9.10 in morning nothing available tonight.
    Hello Brian,

You may already know this but it will probably save delay in getting a diagnosis if you take a urine sample with you in a clean bottle. Sterilise it as well as you can with boiling water.

My vet sells a shallow plastic scoop that has a specimen bottle as the handle, very easy if you catch the sufferer when they first go out in the morning, but a kitchen ladle of some sort will do as the vet will only need a small amount for his tests.

I hope Rosie soon gets sorted.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes need to check for urine infection first, but she would be peeing more during the day too, sometimes licking at the vaginal area too - if you feel her belly, does it feel warmer than usual? Can be a sign of running a temperature.

Sometimes they can become incontinent as a result of spaying - doesn't always start immediately, can be a few years later. This is easily treatable with a preparation from the vets [although this generally has to be lifelong]

It would be sensible to check where she has been lying during the day to see if that is damp.

You can also sniff the hair around the vagina, usually there will be a smell of urine in that area if they are dribbling urine. If so give her a gentle sponge bath and dry with a soft towel to stop the area becoming sore.

I think that bedding would be far too hot especially for a Cavalier with Syringomyelia. I would put a thickish towel in the crate, with the vetbed on top. Vetbed is good as the liquid drains towards the backing so she won't be lying on a damp area.

Sadly the other option is the Syringomyelia. Karlin is right, I have had this with two of my boys. Both Rupert and Teddy would wake up with a small puddle, they were treated with a homoeopathic preparation made from the conventional medication Propolin [treatment for incontinence]. This solved the problem although they had to remain on it for life, no more puddles

We found a frisbee quite helpful to collect urine, get them used to it first, you can slide it underneath them. The device Margaret is talking about is absolutely brilliant!

Ah just found it for sale http://www.myvetmeds.co.uk/uripet-ur...ion-device.htm something that might be worth everyone having in their store cupboard only 3.72 with economy delivery.

Hope you get on well in the morning, will be thinking of you.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Half time in the Heineken Cup ,found a bottle and a syringe and sterilised them but thought I had a soup ladle somewhere
    but cannot find it .Took them all out and tracked Rosie and she settled down for a wee with me six inches way then action and I have a good 1/2 mil .Oh well will follow her at 11 pm and see what happens thentry again at 5.30 in the morning .

Can the Vet diagnose anything without a sample .?She has only been doing this over say two weeks and she is perfect during the day ,makes me feel ashamed I didnt pick this up before I just thought it was the odd accident ,very bad of me .I just groomed them all earlier and was fairly thorough and I couldnt see anything odd but my sense of smell is non existant ,she iseating as normal and doesnt seem to be drinking more and has no effect whatsoever from her CM.She is my little angel .
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's good that you are managing to get samples. You need to get one as fresh as possible to take to the vets - I would be inclined to get one at 5.30am and put it in the fridge [well wrapped!] and then try to get another one before you go...at least you have something in case you can't get the later one.

The vets can do it with a catheter but it's not so nice for the dog.

Really is best to take a sample as that will quickly rule out a few things.

More than a couple of overnight accidents is ALWAYS cause for a vet visit.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org