Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to keep ears from smelling?

Post Thanks / Like

Try an old scrunchy! Worked for Brooky!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to look for the Thorn-it here, but I doubt I'll be able to find it

Brooklyn's mom, I tried that last night, lol. No go! Lyra hated it and kept shaking her head so the scrunchy kept falling off, haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, yeah, it took Brooky being passed out to let me put a scrunchy in her hair/ears. Funny what we do to them!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lucidity View Post
    I'll try to look for the Thorn-it here, but I doubt I'll be able to find it
    I live in the US and had to order it from the UK-- I used the site I gave you. It wasn't that expensive and lasts forever. It came quickly, also.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like

As with so many things with Cavaliers (and dogs generally), don't make a head-on issue of Lyra wearing a scrunchy. Put it on just before you put her food down, so that she forgets it in the need to eat. Feed her some treats while she wears it for a few seconds; distract her with her favourite toy and have a game for a few minutes; if she loves walks, wear it on a walk - anything so that she isn't focused on The Thing but will forget about it while concentrating on something else much more exciting.

Meg, my second Cavalier, had long ears that got very messy when she was eating, so I used to wrap them over her head and secure the fur with a laundry peg - the Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker Look for the fashion-conscious Cavalier...

Kate, Oliver and Aled

PS A good alternative to Thornit is CleanAural liquid, which I think is readily available in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    I live in the US and had to order it from the UK-- I used the site I gave you. It wasn't that expensive and lasts forever. It came quickly, also.
    Unfortunately I live in Asia and the postal service here is unreliable, so I try not to order things online I'll have to get one of my friends in Canada (where I used to live) or something to order it for me if they're planning to make a trip here. Logistical nightmare! Sigh..

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    As with so many things with Cavaliers (and dogs generally), don't make a head-on issue of Lyra wearing a scrunchy. Put it on just before you put her food down, so that she forgets it in the need to eat. Feed her some treats while she wears it for a few seconds; distract her with her favourite toy and have a game for a few minutes; if she loves walks, wear it on a walk - anything so that she isn't focused on The Thing but will forget about it while concentrating on something else much more exciting.

Meg, my second Cavalier, had long ears that got very messy when she was eating, so I used to wrap them over her head and secure the fur with a laundry peg - the Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker Look for the fashion-conscious Cavalier...

Kate, Oliver and Aled

PS A good alternative to Thornit is CleanAural liquid, which I think is readily available in the US.
    I'm going to start tying her ears up when she eats--she loves food so much I don't think she'll even notice the scrunchy is there, lol. Tell me about the mess while eating! It's one of the reasons why I haven't fed the dogs raw food in a while now.. I find myself having to rinse Lyra's ears after every meal.

I'll look out for the CleanAural liquid. Hopefully it's available in some pet specialty stores here.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you heard of a snood? That's what I use for Brooky and when she sees it she gets so excited because she knows a bone is coming! I use a snood or scrunchy.

I got my snood from Embee Cavaliers: http://embeecav.blogspot.com/p/want-to-buy-snood.html
    She is in Canada too...she sent to me in Australia no problem and they are so cheap I didn't worry about if it got lost or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually been looking around for snoods! Although I'm not sure if I wanna use them... the weather here is so hot, I think it would make Lyra feel really uncomfortable. My mom is pretty handy with the sewing machine though, she should be able to help me make a snood pretty easily! I'm gonna look for some pics for her to see...

My friend uses those fabric headbands (you know, the kind with velcro on the ends) that people put on before washing their faces on her Cavalier whenever it's meal time. I thought it was a pretty good idea too!

Post Thanks / Like

The bacteria from Nalu's watery eyes makes her smell funny so I've been washing her face and it has helped.

Post Thanks / Like

The best ear product I've ever come across is Zymox. It's made from natural enzymes and is antibacterial, anti fungal and anti yeast. Your dog can't become immune because there are no antibiotics in it. I used to work at the vet and the products that they carry only work "so so". We had many regulars (poor dogs) that came in with frequent ear infections. That's what was happening with my sister-in-laws dog. They had religiously tried everthing from the vet and his ears were stiff awful. I told her about Zymox and she was AMAZED at how quickly his ears cleared up for the first time ever!