Thread: Losing Muscle Mass

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Losing Muscle Mass

Just a quick update and a question. Took Sydney to the cardiologist yesterday for his checkup. All in all we are very pleased that he is still doing well. There is no coughing, lungs and abdomen are clear and his heart rate is also good. His appetite is great. Yeah! this is all good news.

Anyway the one concern is that he has lost another pound. This is 4 pounds in the last 3 months. He has lost a lot of muscle mass and she suggested I give him more dry food. I've cut back some on the dry as his teeth are bad and he has a hard time eating, but I supplement his dry food with a premium wet food with nice chunks of chicken or beef or lamb.

After fighting the battle of the bulge with him for years, I now have to add food! Any suggestions on what to give that would still be healthy but help with lost muscle? I'm already giving him extra protein.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

No help here, but just wanted to send a hug to Sydney!!
    What kind of food is he on?

Post Thanks / Like

I know of a lot of people who have used this to put weight on their dogs:

http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition...tinballs2.html

Wonderful news on the cardiologist report!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your responses.

BrooklynMom No help here, but just wanted to send a hug to Sydney!!
    What kind of food is he on?
    I'm giving him Wellness Brand kibble and wet food. The wet food helps to soften the kibble. I also steam him fresh chicken which he also get sprinkled on top.

Cathy T I know of a lot of people who have used this to put weight on their dogs:

http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition...tinballs2.html

Wonderful news on the cardiologist report!!
    Thanks for this info. Some of those recipes look good enough for me to eat!

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How much exercise does he get? I've been told to give a cardiac dog some exercise to keep his muscles firm, and to massage his hind leg muscles.

Food alone won't work, I don't think, because you want to keep muscle on him, not just any kind of weight.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Rod, he doesn't get very much. We usually walk about 5 mins. 2x a day. About all he can handle for a walk. When it is nice out we stay outside as much as possible and he still enjoys walking around the yard and slow chasing any birds or other critters he sees.

No formal massages, but I do give him lots of rub downs. I'll try to concentrate more on the hind legs as they do give him trouble and they're not very stable.

I agree with you also about adding weight. Any gain in weight should come from muscle. I think the aim is to help him maintain his weight in the most healthy way, which is why I looking for healthy ways to do that.

Sydney (