• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is it possible Thistle needs a coat? 60 F/18 C

Soushiruiuma

We're at the park just now, and Thistle is shivering anytime she isn't running, and keeps curling up in my lap. She's a full year now, thin but in a healthy way, and has a respectable coat. It's 60 F (18 C) right now, so it's cool, but not cold by any stretch.

I'll try a jacket on her when we get home. I'm just baffled as to why she'd need a coat for this, is she just so acclimated to our hot weather? Has anyone seen a dog this sensitive to cold before?

What are the temps she's accustomed to? Nalu doesn't have any fat but gets by just fine without a coat when it's below freezing.

I put coats or sweaters on mine, especially the young one, as he doesn't have a full coat yet, but not at 60. Usually we wear sweaters when it is 40 ish and coats when it's approaching freezing or below. The younger one ( 6 mos) will wear his sweater inside too when it's chilly. He seems to get cold. They both like their pj's at night!

Our previous cav had no problem with the colda nd only had one thin jumper for the cold days.

However, Kokoda feels the cold alot, (or thinks he does :D ) He is constantly shivering in the cold.
And because of this he has multiple jackets/ coats of varying thicknesses.
He is much more of a summer puppy, thank goodness because it gets VERY hot here in QLD!
And not very cold!

I cant imagine what he'd be like in the snow!

I don't really have a suggestion–but that does seem fairly mild for a dog to be shivering, so perhaps there was some other reason–a bit of anxiety or worry about something for example? Different dogs definitely feel the cold differently. The smaller the dog, the more they would be likely to feel cold as well because they have less body mass to stay warm. Of my 4, Leo & Jaspar have the lightest natural coats of hair (the girls have much heavier coats). Jaspar would almost never begin to shiver with cold–only when we had all that snow last winter and the temperature was below 0 C. Leo on the other hand, often starts shivering if he gets wet at all and I try to remember to bring along a coat if we are going on a walk where he's likely to get wet. Even on a warm day, he would start to shiver once he's wet (but of course he absolutely loves getting wet! A bit of a chicken and egg situation).

I don't really have a suggestion–but that does seem fairly mild for a dog to be shivering, so perhaps there was some other reason–a bit of anxiety or worry about something for example? Different dogs definitely feel the cold differently. The smaller the dog, the more they would be likely to feel cold as well because they have less body mass to stay warm. Of my 4, Leo & Jaspar have the lightest natural coats of hair (the girls have much heavier coats). Jaspar would almost never begin to shiver with cold–only when we had all that snow last winter and the temperature was below 0 C. Leo on the other hand, often starts shivering if he gets wet at all and I try to remember to bring along a coat if we are going on a walk where he's likely to get wet. Even on a warm day, he would start to shiver once he's wet (but of course he absolutely loves getting wet! A bit of a chicken and egg situation).

Thanks, Karlin, anxiety makes more sense. She gets weirded out by boxers, we were on the small side, but she likes to flirt with the big dogs through the fence. It's possible she was nervous about them.

Back