• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

KC takes over UK Rally

Sabby

Just read that the KC is taking over UK Rally. Rally Obedience is going to become very popular all of a sudden. Wonder how strict it will become? Doubt it still be for Pet Dog Owners. Might have to get myself a Collie. I am joking that will never happen.
:swear:

By the off chance that Harley be good enough to enter their competitions does anybody know how I register him on the KC activity register? Or would it be easier for me to send his KC Breed papers off?

Hi SabbyIf the KC treats Rally like Obedience and Agility. then it will have a council made up of people actually doing the sport, covering all regions of the UK, which meets twice a year to discuss changes to the regulations, current issues etc. Our Obedience Council meetings can be pretty stormy, but the reps hold meetings in their region to discuss the agenda with competitors and we have a website where issues are discussed, which also gives feedback to the reps. There will probably also be a book of regulations produced, which gives guidance for competitors, judges and those organising shows. Shows get randomly visited by a Field Officer, who produces a report for both the KC and the show organisers, praising what goes well and suggesting where anything could be improved.I see no reason why collies should take over Rally - you already have a good tradition of many breeds being involved, as there are indeed in the lower classses of obedience. There's also currently an increase in obedience competitions for Anything But Collies - the other breeds are fighting back! It's only some people in the higher classes who forget that it's a sport!It is very easy to put your dogs on the Activity Register via the KC website. Just go to the Activity Register section, enter your dog's name and breed and your details, click on the relevant activity box (which doesn't stop you doing other activities - or no activities! - with your dog) and pay £10 per dog (much cheaper than full breed registration); you then get a registration number and can enter any of the KC regulated dog sports. Another use of being on the Activity Register is that if they are purebred Cavaliers (even if like Aled they have no pedigree), you can enter them Not For Competiton (which doesn't cost much) at the Cavalier Ch. show at Stoneleigh in March and get a free quick heart check from Simon Swift! Or at other breed shows that provide health checks. I do this annually with my two.Kate, Oliver and Aled

Last edited:
Hi Sabby

If the KC treats Rally like Obedience and Agility. then it will have a council made up of people actually doing the sport, covering all regions of the UK, which meets twice a year to disuss changes to the regulations, current issues etc. Our Obedience Council meetings can be pretty stormy, but the reps hold meetings in their region to discuss the agenda with competitors and we have a website where issues are discussed, which also gives feedback to the reps. There will probably also be a book of regulations produces, which gives guidance for competitors, judges and those organising shows. Shows get randomly visited by a Field Officer, who produces a report for both the KC and the show organisers, praising what goes well and suggesting where anything could be improved.

I see no reason why collies should take over Rally - you already have a good tradition of many breeds being involved, as there are indeed in the lower classses of obedience. There's also currently an increase in obedience competitions for Anything But Collies - the other breeds are fighting back! It's only some people in the higher classes who forget that it's a sport!

It is very easy to put your dogs on the Activity Register via the KC website. Just go to the Activity Register section, enter your dog's name and breed and your details, click on the relevant activity box (which doesn't stop you doing other activities - or no activities! - with your dog) and pay £10 per dog (much cheaper than full breed registration); you then get a registration number and can enter any of the KC regulated dog sports. Another use of being on the Activity Register is that if they are purebred Cavaliers (even if like Aled they have no pedigree), you can enter them Not For Competiton (which doesn't cost much) at the Cavalier Ch. show at Stoneleigh in March and get a free quick heart check from Simon Swift! Or at other breed shows that provide health checks. I do this annually with my two.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks for the info Kate

I can’t see Rally staying the way it is now. At the moment we have near enough everybody competing knowing they will get a Rosette even if it is only a good Rosette. Suppose the more serious people can compete at KC Level and the owners with average dogs have to compete at the local club trials.
I could bet you anything people like me & Harley won’t ever get to Crufts, even I would consider Harley above average, and he is 4[SUP]th[/SUP] at the moment in the national rankings and two Collies that do proper obedience being in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] & 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] place. When Rally gets to Crufts we see who is right, I am sure 90% will be Collies.

Just read that the KC is taking over UK Rally. Rally Obedience is going to become very popular all of a sudden. Wonder how strict it will become? Doubt it still be for Pet Dog Owners. Might have to get myself a Collie. I am joking that will never happen.
:swear:

By the off chance that Harley be good enough to enter their competitions does anybody know how I register him on the KC activity register? Or would it be easier for me to send his KC Breed papers off?

Hi Sabby, if Harley is on the breed register with the KC then that will be enough, you wont have to enter him on the activity register as well. This was something I checked when I was first entering Maddie and Pippin in a KC agility show, and their breed registration was sufficient. I can't see the KC making a different rule for Rally

I knew the APDT were going to give UK Rally to the KC, but dont forget there is still Talking Dogs Rally, which isn't affiliated to APDT or KC and should retain the ethos of Rally Obedience, i.e. for pet people.

MadPip's right -if your dogs are breed registered, they don't also have to be registered on the Activity Register. The AR enables non-pedigree dogs of any breed or none to take part in the various sports run by the KC. And the KC aren't complete idiots - if Rally as it is now is what makes it so popular, they're not going to change it so that it becomes indistinguishable from obedience. And many obedience collies will get marked down in Rally for leaning against their owner's leg in heelwork! So Harley has as much chance as any dog to do well - see you at Crufts one day!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back