• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I hate SM

Love my Cavaliers

I just have to vent. Poor little Riley has been doing so well, but last night she was just walking into the kitchen as I was making dinner and she just fell over. Just completely fell onto her side. Her legs collpased on her. And then she had the hardest time getting up. It was the hardest thing to watch. My hands were covered with food so I couldn't get to her in time to help her. Once she was up, she just walked over to me like nothing had happened and begged for food like always. She's doing fine today - although she seemed to have a little extra trouble getting up the one step into the house from outside.

So, I just had to vent and say that I hate SM. But I love my little Riley, my sweet, sweet girl.

I just have to vent. Poor little Riley has been doing so well, but last night she was just walking into the kitchen as I was making dinner and she just fell over. Just completely fell onto her side. Her legs collpased on her. And then she had the hardest time getting up. It was the hardest thing to watch. My hands were covered with food so I couldn't get to her in time to help her. Once she was up, she just walked over to me like nothing had happened and begged for food like always. She's doing fine today - although she seemed to have a little extra trouble getting up the one step into the house from outside.

So, I just had to vent and say that I hate SM. But I love my little Riley, my sweet, sweet girl.

Poor Riley and poor you.
Yes I hate SM, I try to put it to the back of my mind apart giving them their tablets everyday. But it has a bad habit of creeping up on you when you think life is going ok.

Glad Riley managed to get up by herself and still beg for food afterwards.

Hugs to Riley...and to you. It really is unfair, there is no better way to say it. Sometimes when you see that "look" in their eye where you know they don't feel well, or something as severe as seeing what you had to, its all just heart breaking.

I will say an extra prayer for Riley today. She deserves it.:hug:

I'm so sorry you are going through such a tough time. It's so heartbreaking seeing them go through that and you feeling helpless!

Did you give her a bit of that food she was begging for? Bless.:l*v:

I have no experience with SM, but every time I read about others dogs and the pain they have to go through, I want to cry. Sending gentle hugs to Riley and extra hugs to you.

I hate SM as well.

When you know your dog is SM affected you live with the worry that they may be in pain all the time.

I hate seeing Tommy standing completely unaware that his legs are almost crossed at the back and he is going to topple at any moment. I hate seeing the permanent tremor in his back legs and his plodding head down posture when he so quickly tires on his walk.

He is such a sweet brave gallant darling dog.

Give Riley a little kiss from me.

Bev, how scary it must have been to witness, I can imagine how powerless you must have felt, gentle hugs to Riley and keeping you in my thoughts :flwr:

I often think of Oliver, I hope he is keeping well :luv:

Thank you everyone for all your sweet thoughts for Riley and me. Luckily she was totally oblivious to what had happened as soon as she got herself back on her feet. And yes, Desrae, she got some green peppers and carrots.

And Margaret, what can I say about Tommy - you understand the pain so well. It is so painful just seeing Riley get so excited to see me when I come in the door and her head tilt gets so severe that she goes around in circles and her head is so low it almost touches the ground, but she can't stop circling and I can't help her either. When I try to stop her, her body goes into spasms so I've learned that it just has to run it's course and eventually she will stop circling and settle down and then give me a proper hello.

SM and MVD dogs are so brave. I don't think I would have half the courage and heart that these little dogs have if I had either disease.

Back