• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Surgery yesterday

CSutherland

Bentley had surgery on his left hind leg yesterday. He has Luxated Patella in both legs, but they'll only fix one at a time. Last night was a little rough but, thankfully, Grandpa took over most of the hard duty. The "cone" to keep him from licking/biting/scratching the incision is the worst thing. I despise dealing with it and it seems there should be a simpler way. Bentley is so patient, though, and acts very meek when it's on, almost humiliated. I'm glad he doesn't fight it. Hopefully, each day will get easier and his pain will be eased.

Hi

Best wishes to you both from all us .Bentley will improve day by day though its a tough operation for them and there is a type of chunky
soft neck collar you can get but its a bit late now for Bentley.

I've heard of those soft chunky collars as well, maybe look into it for next time. I hope he is on the mend soon and good to know surgery went a-ok. Let us know how he gets on in the next while. Thinking of ye. :hug:

Bentley sounds like a sweetheart not fighting the cone just knowing it's necessary for getting better. I wish him a speedy recovery!

Tell me about this soft collar thing. Where do we get it and why is it too late? He'll need something until the stitches are out in 10-14 days.

I stumbled upon Hyperdrug's physical shop in Yorkshire when there with the dogs in Sept -- really really nice people and huge selection of stuff in their catalogue. :D I keep meaning to post on them in the Shopaholics section; they also do pet prescriptions.

I get Oliver's Gabapentin from Hyperdrug, also dental, worm and flea stuff, and find them very friendly, helpful and efficient (as well as reasonably priced!). I know that if I send Oliver's prescription off to them on a Monday (having ordered and paid for it beforehand) it will arrive by Wednesday morning.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

The hubby stopped by PetSmart this afternoon and purchased a soft collar. It's inflatable, fits nicely, and Bentley looks so cute in it and is much happier. He's probably happier because he can reach right around it and lick the sutures on his hind leg! I guess the new collar goes back to the store and Bentley has to wear the stiff cone that none of us like. Rats!

My Bella had bilateral Luxated patellas done a few years ago. I found some long legged pj's to keep on her and they kept her from licking her incisions. She wouldn't move with the "cone of shame" so I had to figure something else out! So I went in search of PJ's. I found them at PetsMart. They have long legs on them with a little band at the foot, but not tight, just snug enough to keep her out! Good luck with your baby's recovery. I am so glad we are past that! It was hard, but so worth it!

Back