Thread: Dog boots?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dog boots?

Do any of you put boots on your dogs or puppies? It's getting cold out and I feel bad having Chloe walk on the cold ground. I guess it's normal, but it still seems too cold for her (in my head). She has a sweater, but I'm wondering if I should introduce dog boots now while she's still young. Or tell me if I'm crazy and she will be fine "bare-pawed."

Post Thanks / Like

I got Rose some for playing in the snow (since we get so much snow around here, lol) to keep her feathers from icing up. They also go up to her knees, so keep those from getting "snowballs". We'll see...I thought it might have been today that she got to try them! lol I got them from Petsmart . http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11147025

Post Thanks / Like

Sophie walked regularly over a mile in snow and ice (the past two winters have been unusually brutal) with me, and she loved every minute of it. No boots, no coat. (I was bundled up to the max.LOL) The snowball tassels that hanged (hung?) from her feathers were a real pain to melt off, but she loved her walks in the cold. No complaints from her, and she is always ready to go in winter, no matter what the temp outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Please let me know if Rose takes to wearing the boots okay! I've seen a lot of videos of dogs that don't like wearing the boots but only few of those who seem to be okay with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrfoot View Post
    I got Rose some for playing in the snow (since we get so much snow around here, lol) to keep her feathers from icing up. They also go up to her knees, so keep those from getting "snowballs". We'll see...I thought it might have been today that she got to try them! lol I got them from Petsmart . http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11147025

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm.... Maybe Chloe is just too young to enjoy the cold (10 weeks)? She was shivering when I took her outside in 35 degrees this morning with a sweater, so that's why I was thinking she may need boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldor View Post
    Sophie walked regularly over a mile in snow and ice (the past two winters have been unusually brutal) with me, and she loved every minute of it. No boots, no coat. (I was bundled up to the max.LOL) The snowball tassels that hanged (hung?) from her feathers were a real pain to melt off, but she loved her walks in the cold. No complaints from her, and she is always ready to go in winter, no matter what the temp outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Nalu shivered a lot when she was a young puppy but later in the year had no problem. Maybe you could limit her time outside until she's older.

Post Thanks / Like

I have boots for my guys but they are for protection from the salt and other chemicals they use on our streets in winter. The snow and ice doesn't bother their (my guys) feet at all but if we go out without boots on a day when they have salted the streets I instantly know because both of them try and lift all four feet off of the ground. To be honest they don't care for them much and it's a pain to put them on but where we live it's necessary if we are to walk on the streets.
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calandra View Post
    She was shivering when I took her outside in 35 degrees this morning with a sweater, so that's why I was thinking she may need boots.
    She might appreciate a sweater or coat, but I would not worry about the boots. The problems with the outerwear are that they outgrow it so quickly, and it's a pain to put on when rushing a puppy out for potty when you catch them in the act. Ah, the joys (not!) of house training . . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad there isn't a "footie pj" style coat you can quickly drop them into and secure lickety split!