• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do foxes pose a danger to Cavaliers ?

galaxy66

No idea if this has been asked before as I do not frequent the forum much but as we back onto open countryside I am always nervous of leaving our two outside for long in the garden at night, I think Branden could handle himself as he is well built but Serge is the slender of the two and no match for a fox.

I never leave Nalu unattended. I would worry about rabbies, mange and infection from bites if there were attacks.

Fortunately we do not have rabies in the UK, but mange can definitely be a problem if dogs come into contact with areas where foxes have been running.

All my dogs are now on Advocate (rather than Frontline) as it tackles the problem of the mites involved. I'd rather have to face a tick (not covered by Advocate) than a bout of mange any day!

From http://www.thefoxwebsite.org/faq/urbanfoxproblems.html#q2

Will the foxes in my garden attack my dog or cat?

This is extremely unlikely. Foxes avoid dogs, even small dogs, because many foxes are killed by dogs. So it is much more likely that your dog will attack the fox, not the other way round. Attacks on cats are equally rare: cats and foxes are roughly the same size, and cats are very capable of defending themselves against foxes. So it is hardly surprising that foxes generally give cats a wide berth and flee when threatened by a cat. Occasionally small kittens are killed, but this is rare. Keeping your cat indoors at night greatly reduces the chances of an encounter with a fox. There are also a variety of other benefits: cats kept in at night are healthier and live longer, and kill less of the local wildlife.

Can my dog catch mange from foxes?

It can, but this is not common. Even where sarcoptic mange is prevalent in the local foxes, there are relatively few cases in dogs. If you suspect that your dog has caught mange, take it to a veterinary surgeon for diagnosis and treatment. It is relatively easy to treat mange in dogs.

Hope that helps :) good questions Mal, it's helpful to raise these issues.

Thanks Nicki, that is reassuring to know, and the boys will be pleased they have a few more minutes play outside at night :)

Back