Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some positive thoughts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    We are all with you ,you are doing a great job and i
    am sure Blitz knows it so dont be hard on yourself.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

I posted not too long ago about how I hate SM. Your dog can be just fine (or relatively fine, as a dog with SM is never fine) for a period of time and then SM rears it's ugly head. It's too bad that your neurologist has really wiped his hands of Blitz also - that is really unprofessional to not treat him medically simply because you are not taking his recommendation for surgery. I hope you are able to work with your vet to give Blitz some relief. Riley doesn't seem to be bothered by pressure changes so I can't give you any help or ideas, just some good positive thoughts and wishes for some speedy help for Blitz.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

I always up Scarlett's Gabapentin or give her half a Tramadol if I know that a storm is coming in or a big change in the weather. That doesn't sound like a very nice neuro.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to pop on for an update... After talking to my vet we have decided to go with 200mg 3X daily for a while... to see if it makes any difference. He is continuing to be on a pretty drastic roller coaster.... He was fine this morning .but tonight he is going weak in the rear and scratching badly. My vet said if we need to go up more just let her know. I'm not sure what is setting him off now.. Our temperature has dropped drastically this week and it has been very wet & rainy. We have another cold front coming through tomorrow.... He goes from GREAT.... to Terrible... to GREAT... but all during the same day. Not sure if his condition is just declining. If this doesn't help we may have to try a new neurologist. There is one more but still a good long drive away... Hoping this does the trick . We have also switched Flash's meds around... will make a new post soon because I may need some advise on it....
    Flash Blitz Holly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

SM is the most horrible condition ever. I have the greatest admiration how you are managing with your badly affected young dogs.

Here in the UK we are not put under the same pressure to agree to surgery, in fact it is the less common option, and most Neurologists will work to help owners that choose not to go that route

The problem with medicating for SM is that different drugs or combinations help some dogs, while causing overwhelming drowsiness, or not easing the symptoms in any way, for others. It really is such a case of trial and error and you do have to start again every time your cavalier's condition deteriorates.

I found out Tommy had SM in 2005 when he had a low cost breeders scan, but his symptoms were so mild, an occasional yelp for no reason once every few months and a slight reluctance to have his ears brushed, that he needed no medication.

I did ask my vet to prescribe a small daily dose of frusemide, more as a preventitive than anything else, and that was all he had for years.

Tommy has never really scratched, except for a one-off episode in my vet's waiting room when a frantic bout covered the floor in piles of drifting fur, but gradually the yelping started when he was picked up, and then the constant pawing at my legs demanding attention. We started the rimadyl, metacam, gabapentin juggling act.

Tommy started on 100 mg x 3 and that held things for quite some time. He went on to 200mg x 3 gabapentin when the lower dose stopped working. That again gave some respite but he gradually started being very restless and became badly affected by muscle twitching in all different parts of his body (myclonic jerking is apparently not proven to be associated with SM, but it is a neurological problem often seen in Cavaliers )

Tommy was switched to Lyrica and I have found 75mg x 2 has really kept him comfortable and happy when combined with a daily dose of metacam ( I have always found that Metacam seems to increase the effectiveness of whatever medication Tom is taking ) He still has 10mg x 2 frusemide daily.
    The twitching and jerking in his body & head is so much better, it is only his left back leg muscle that seems to still be in perpetual motion now.

Unless they find yet another new miracle drug ( that is what Lyrica has been for Tommy ) then the only next option will be steroids. Not what I would want for him, but I will do whatever is necessary to keep him comfortable and let him go when that proves to be no longer possible.

Tommy is eleven now so his MVD ( bad murmur but symptoms as yet ) may be what eventually forces my hand.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi