Thread: Weird Gag Sound with SM?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weird Gag Sound with SM?

Well, Mooby and I have been back to the vet a lot lately. After her TECABO we had a good run, about 4 months, without going to the vet which was HUGE for us. Now, all of a sudden, we've been 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Mooby just hasn't been herself lately, but I don't have many symptoms but she's down/depressed and isn't all that interested in her food (but she sure as heck doesn't want us to take it away). Aside from that she's been really intolerant to cold, trembling until I put a blanket or sweatshirt on her (we live in Los Angeles, not that cold here). She's also been making this very strange gag / retch / velociraptor type sound a couple times a day. We have video of it and have sent it to the vet, no one knows. They are doing a full blood panel on her, urinalysis, etc. but the vet mentioned he had seen a dog with SM do something like this. Anyone know if this is true? Or have you had experience with it?

Here's the meds she is on:
    Gabapentin
    Amantadine
    Cyclosporine
    Prednisone
    Ketoconozale
    Ear drops
    Pepcid

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about all the problems you ahve been having.

Are you aware of reverse sneezing in Cavaliers? If you search on the board you will find lots of posts about it.

The other thing that would concern me is her heart, has that been checked?

I haven't experienced anything like that with my SM dogs, nor remember reading about it on here, but there maybe someone who can help.

Do hope you find out what is happening, and please let us know.

The shivering could actually be a pain response, combined with the depression, inappetite etc I would perhaps think about getting her meds reviewed.

Some small dogs do learn to shiver to get attention though!
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I am familiar with reverse sneezing. Mooby is a french bulldog, and we get that a lot in our breed.

As far as her heart is concerned, she was at the vet yesterday who listened to her heart and chest and everything sounded normal. Blood work came back today, all normal too. They feel like the next step is getting her back to the neurologist.

Although, as soon as I type this Mooby is starting to play. She hasn't wanted to play in about a week, this is a good thing. However, she is having high pitched wheezing when she runs around, right away. Another symptom I suppose.

I think you are right, it will be time to review the meds to see is that is what needs to be changed. SM is like a mystery -- as are all her other ailments.