• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help, is this the SM?

moobywan

Hi,

Still trying to figure out what is wrong with Mooby. She does have SM. I don't know if her current symptoms are from the SM getting worse.

Yesterday she was playing around 3pm (great news she felt better) by 4pm she was trembling and didnt want to move. She was just sitting up, but didnt seem like she could lay down. We gave her tramadol at 4:05 and she sat up for an hour before she laid down and slept. We hand fed her around 8pm. She ate. At 10pm we carried her out to the bathroom she went on her own and we carried her back in.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

We have had a few episodes with Daisy where she would do that.I spent a few nights with her head on my lap while she whimpered and trembled.I think it's a severe flare up,it's probably little consolation,but it does ease off after a day or two.
You can either medicate and let her sleep through it or get her out of doors and let her exercise and work her way through it.
We had to add Rimadyl to Daisy's meds this week but she began vomiting and we had to stop it.
It's an illness filled with peaks and troughs.
All we can do is observe and learn from their reactions and behaviours to try to guage what's happening with them and then try to interpret and manage the symptoms.
Sins

Not sure if you saw my other post but yes sadly this is very familiar.

They will still try to play etc, the adrenaline kicks in and they also want to please, but can be very sore afterwards, that sounds to me exactly what's happening here :(

Please contact your neurologist or at the very least your vet urgently, Mooby is obviously having a lot of pain and it's not being well managed at the moment.

I'm sorry but I have seen this with my own dogs in the past, it's truly horrid but you have to think of them.

It's so hard because as a french bulldog she is so stoic -- we have never heard her cry in pain, maybe only yelp twice in her 5 and a half years. Even stepping on her paw illicits no reaction.

I have a call and e-mail into her nuerologist, is there anything I should do in the meantime? We just gave her another tramadol, it seems to be the only thing that can make her feel well enough to lie down.

Also, what can cause these flare ups? Just playing? Cold weather?

my boy has been like that for the last few weeks , thought it might be his back but turned out to be a kidney infection.

The dog I had with Sm never refused food or walks.
id get your vet to check her over

my boy has been like that for the last few weeks , thought it might be his back but turned out to be a kidney infection.

The dog I had with Sm never refused food or walks.
id get your vet to check her over

How is your boy now? Mooby had a complete blood panel w/ thyroid test on Friday and all came back "boring" -- vet's words. That's what has me thinking it is the SM.

It could be the SM. A dog that isn't feeling well may not wish to eat. Pain from SM can definitely make some dogs feel unable to walk very far or at all.

Clare Rusbridge recommends the painkiller trocoxil as one which works particularly well for dogs with SM. I will be starting Leo on this tomorrow.

Are you having a change in the weather (rain, colder, etc)? Did you bathe him? These are things that will set Scarlett off and I give her extra pain meds- either an extra Gabapentin or a Tramadol (we use the Tramdol as needed).

It has been "cold" for us, we're in Los Angeles so it hasn't been super cold but it's still a few degrees colder than our normal. We also had a the Santa Ana winds come through, which I believe is a high-pressure front.

How much Gabapentin do you give a day? We are 3/day and 1 amantadine.

I would bet it's the change in air pressure with the winds coming through that is affecting her.

Scarlett is on 3 Gabapentin/day, 10mg Omeprazole, and Previcox. I am 9 months pregnant and can't sleep anymore and she stays up with me, so she has been getting an extra Gabapentin at around 2am if we are still awake, as it seems to last about 6 hours in her system if she is awake. When I used to be able to actually get to bed at a decent hour (pre-end-of- pregnancy) I could space it so she got one before bed and slept through the night.

Back