• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chicken Wings - No More For The Girls

Brian M

Hi

Yesterday morning I gave the girls two little pces of raw chicken wing each for breakfast just before I dashed off to work ,but I just had this feeling ? I normally sit by them when they have any bone and yesterday morning for some reason even though it was time to leave I sat by Daisy and watched her eat ,then after a minute she started pawing at her mouth and then she knocked her food bowl over, so open the crate door and pulled her out and thrust my fingers in her mouth to feel around while she was struggling like mad to get away .An emergency vet visit was flashing through my mind while I was feeling inside her mouth then I found it lodged in the roof of her mouth between her teeth and out it came ,Daisy was fine within seconds but no more chicken wing for them even though I do cut them up into three, it is just not worth the risk so the two packs I have left in the girls freezer are going into the bin .Of course I will continue with their raw meat diet which includes breast of lamb but I will just keep a closer eye on the bone size and softness of it when I chop them into smaller pces .

Sorry you had this scare

I use a pair of rose pruners [on Tania's advice] and cut the bone approx every 1 to 2cm, BUT leave the meat whole, I then feed each dog individually with pliers so they can't swallow whole pieces and also I can make sure they are chewing it and nothing is going wrong.

Hi
I have bben using seceteurs since they have had raw and cut each pce into three and fed individually but
things did go wrong so no more .

Back