• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Near collapsed syrinx-Good news

daffymum

Hi All
I was at Stone Lion Veterinary hospital this week and Clare Rusbridge told me that Daffy's syrinx has collapsed from 4 mm to less than 1 mm over 6 months, following his ventriculoperitoneal shunt operation in March this year. Daffy has severe hydrocephalus and moderate syringomyelia when first diagnosed in 2009. It was decided that because of his severe dilated ventricles, a shunt would be preferred surgery over decompression. Apart from occasional scratching and a slightly weaker front right paw, (he trots well though,) he has no other symptoms and is on pregabalin.

I am thrilled!

Wonderful news - thank you so much for sharing.

It's so good to hear some positive news!!

Terrific news! I think the ventriculoperitoneal shunt works for hydrocephalus but not for CM without hydrocephalus. I guess the hydrocephalus was the cause of the SM, is that right?

Hi Rod
Yes I think so. Daffy also has CM, but when Clare showed me his latest scan the herniation is also reduced. I think she said Daffy has a small brain due the the dilated ventricles and after shunting , the brain has more room within the skull. The shunting is not without risk , and we did have a complication which is resolving.

Back