Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Very worried for Daisy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Sins, I was thinking Episodic Falling. My Thomas has EF and can go for ages without an episode, then out of the blue will have one. Often they are brought on by excitement or after a walk, especially when it's hot. He seems to have an attack every 2 or 3 months and only started about 3 years ago when he was 5 years old. He is always perfectly fine afterwards thank goodness. Hope it was a once off for Daisy. x
    Kathleen
    Thomas (tri-colour) & Jade (blenheim) waiting at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh Sins, how difficult. I am glad she is doing better this morning. I cannot help but wonder/doubt whether this is connected to her SM -- this isn't really typical of any of the many cases I have heard of or SM dogs I know, and Clare Rusbridge had felt that signs Daisy has shown in the past sounded more like sings of a neuro-muscular problem than SM symptoms (at least not 'just' SM if that makes sense and without underplaying the seriousness and distress of owning an SM affected dog). Maybe something to investigate if you are seeing Jacques Penderis. The only other cavalier I have heard of having this kind of difficulty was a rescue Cathy Moon took in a couple of years ago and he was diagnosed as having more than SM going on (eg a background neuromuscular disorder separate to his SM).

I would wonder whether treating for SM isn't getting at the core issue.

I'd certainly however talk to your vet about adding something like Trocoxil for pain? Clare notes this has made a big difference for a lot of dogs. Leo is now on 200mg gabapentin 3x, cimetidine 2x and just starting trocoxil, as a point of comparison; not sure where you are in treatment.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure it's connected to her SM.She has had a bad week painwise though.The night before last,she snapped at my husband who put his hand under her ribcage to help her up on the sofa.She screamed for a few seconds after being lifted.
    I did think EF but her limbs are not rigid during the episode and this was more severe than the summer ones where she'd just drop down on her belly after taking a few steps.It's not a case where she'd been excited after exercise,it's basically a dog who got out of her basket after a long snooze and her legs didn't work.It's the first time I've seen her having some kind of seizure,with her head and shoulders trembling and her eyes blinking uncontrollably.
    It's definitely something neurological..
    Poor baby,she's had so much happen to her.I'm not sure how much more we can allow her to endure.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have not had a dog experience anything like this so cannot add anything to the advice you have been given, but I just want you to know I have my fingers crossed that you find an answer for Daisy.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Sins we all are of course all thinking of you and Daisy and so hope you discover soon the cause of this horrible problem ,poor
    Daisy and you have so much to carry .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Sending positive thoughts to you and Daisy. I hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.
    Sue

Darcy - Blenheim - 17th Sept 2005
    'Life is a balance of holding on and letting go'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OH goodness Sins that is just horrid for you all

So pleased she is doing a bit better but I think you are right to get on to Mr Penderis ASAP.

I've not heard of something quite like this with SM, it does sound like something else is going on. I don't think it sounds like EFS.

I was wondering about some kind of heart arrhythmia? but seizure activity seems the most likely.

I really admire you for putting Daisy's quality of life as the priority - as you konw, I have been there too many times so can empathise with you.

See what Mr Penderis says though, hopefully she can be managed more comfortably.

Please keep us posted, you are all in our thoughts.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Nicki I'm sorry. Abbey is havin issues falling also. We have non-skid socks on her. Please keep us posted.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to say that i am thinking of you and Daisy.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you can sort out Daisy's problems. Oliver has a similar problem with his hind legs - no push to get him out of bed and a distinct wobble until he gets going. Sometimes, when I suggest he goes out into the garden, he flops down, clearly saying 'Nope, can't manage that at the moment.' He doesn't tremble, though he did do this fairly regularly earlier in the year, usually after exercise. Now, however, he still really enjoys trotting on the level round the park off-lead, and his legs are noticeably better for several hours after that. It seems to be pushing himself up after not using his legs that is the problem. As he has both spondylosis and SM, this could be caused by either of them interfering with nerves. At the moment we're going with SM and have increased his gabapentin and are watching to see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, we might X-ray him to see if his spondylosis has got worse.

Kate, Oliver and Aled