• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Introducing.......BELLA!

Alana

Hi everyone! I finally brought my baby girl home! It has been 2 days and I have finally had the chance to post some pictures and give an update.

2011-12-11133604.jpg

Everything is going well. She is an absolute joy! Her name is Bella because I tried all of the names I liked with her a few times and she would only respond to "Bella" so, since she is sooooooo beautiful, that is what we called her.

Crate and potty training, hmmmm, well she can get out of her exercise pen by jumping and hauling herself at the fence and when she finally gets her back paws on the crossbar she can pop her front paws over the top and climb out. This is a 45 cm high pen. It was very traumatic to watch but I wanted to see how she had managed to get out.

Oh how she cries when I put her to bed. I actually began putting her in the crate and patting her to sleep, then I had to get my hand out of the opening and zip up the flap without her waking. She woke up in the middle of the night and cried again but I didn't realise that I had been asleep, it felt like 5 minutes! When I woke up in the morning she had done a poo in her bed. I feel like a terrible mother. What is the rule if they cry in the night? Do I take her out for potty even though she is not behaving by yelping?

The potty training is going well. I have been watching her like a hawk and saying 'potty' every time she goes to the toilet, then when she is finished I praise her. No accidents in the house so far, and she is hardly ever in her crate. When I was sorting the washing today she laid down beside me and chewed on her jerky. I don't think I have her in her crate enough, but it seems to be working.

Please feel free to give me any advice!

She's a real cutie. Can't give advice on crates. I only put mine in at night. If I go out I use baby gates to keep them in the kitchen. Their crates are open all day and they frequently go in and nap.

Awe, she is CUTE!

Crate training is hard...but so worth it. As a rule, if they cry in the middle of the night, yes...you do take them outside (at that age, they probably wont hold it all night). So, take her outside and give her about 5 minutes to go to the bathroom, if she does not, put her back in her crate (she will probably cry again...you can either try to take how our again for a few minutes or you just need to let her cry it out). If she has an accident, don't be upset with yourself, it happens. Eventually she will learn that when she goes out is when she gets to potty. You are doing everything right! It takes them a while, so be easy on yourself. Brooky was my first dog, and I expected it all to "click" so much faster than it did...but it does eventually!
I know how hard crying is, but just let her cry it out at night time. Also best to not pat her to sleep...it is something she will get used to very quick and you will be stuck with a very hard habit to break (same with hand feeding, etc). Easy to just set a standard vs. break a habit. I mean, you can sit with her for a bit, I do with Brooklyn because I love it. I usually only stay for about a minute or less though and just watch her :)

So yeah...you are doing great and all of this is normal! Good luck!

Thank you for the advice. One more question... she is currently asleep under my husbands computer chair. Is it okay from them to fall asleep elsewhere occasionally?

I mean, it is up to you. Everyone is different on how they go about this...but for me personally, the crate was only for nighttime, Brooklyn was allowed to chill and relax wherever was in her "boundaries". What I did though was have a "mat" which was her bed, and always just tried to keep that where she was napping during the day. Now if I am in the office, I bring in her mat and she know she has to stay one that.

I mean, we had boundaries which are good to have...Brooklyn was not allowed in certain rooms, etc....we tried to have rules, but also relax a little in the whole process. They are only young once, so enjoy these moments. I am a firm believer in boundaries and rules when they are young (so they grow up really well behaved), but if sleeping and chilling under your husbands desk is okay with you, and with-in "your rules" than that is just fine! For instance, Brooklyn is not allowed in the bedrooms...this was our personal rule that we just chose because it fit us, she knew her boundaries and now sits at the door (we dont even have to shut it). We also put boundaries at the stairs, so she knows those are off limits. So as long as you have a few boundaries and rules (so they dont have free reign and control of you and the house), then they will be fine. One rule we had during the day was her "mat" or "bed"...so if she was having a nap or wandering, I would say "bed" and that was where she had to be if she wanted to nap and hangout. Just stuff like that, having rules and boundaries that fit you and that you are happy with are what will make this enjoyable and education for you and the pup!

I think the most important thing (when you first get them and they are learning) is to not have them on your lap all day, don't carry them all day, dont coddle them all day (I mean snuggle, cuddle hug yes! But you know, not 24-7 if that makes sense)...because then crate at night is really hard because they don't know how to "self sooth". That is why I started using the mat...if she wanted to be near me, it was on the mat and she had to learn to be there on her own and be okay. Now we don't have as ridged rules because she is grown up and knows better and is so good. She still sleeps in her crate, but takes herself to bed now!

Oh, and when we would leave her during the day, we just put her behind a baby gate in an area vs. in the crate, but again, up to you. Have fun, do what makes you comfortable and happy, have some rules and boundaries, but also let your pup be a pup. It sounds like you are raising her exactly how I did Brooky and she turned out perfectly! There are some good rules out there to follow, but one also has to tailor those rules to their own lifestyle and wants and needs. Also just keep an eye on her and take her out all the time for potty...if you can't keep an eye on her, then crate/babygate/etc.

Puppyhood is so hard and confusing at times. I always wondered "is this how you do it" "did I just mess up" "oh man, what about that rule!". So you are not alone!!! That is why we are here ;) But it is hard, and it does take a while for a pup to settle into their routine and know what they are "supposed to do" and how to go to sleep and settle themselves, etc. A few months really. Your doing a great job!!!!!

Welcome home, Bella!
She is really, really adorable! Congratulations with your new family member.

Congrats! :jmp2:

I changed the settings on your picture so it would show inside the thread rather than as a link. :)

She is a real cutie. :l*v: So sweet. I know having a puppy is a lot of work but make the most of her being a pup as they grow up so fast. I look at my three and wonder where the time has gone.

Congratulations on Bella, what a cute little puppy she is, I agree enjoy the puppy times they grow up so quickly, but still remain very cute.

She is a real little cutie. Sounds like you are doing everything right and we all know what that puppy stage is like. I agree set the boundaries that suit you. Murphy is only 5 months but has the added benefit of learning from Molly who is 3. I personally don't use a crate but have a child gate across the laundry and that is the time out area and nighttime sleep, this gives them free access through dog door to a small secure area outside. I have to admit though I had to change the barrier because he was just climbing over the top of it. During the day when I am home the dogs are usually where I am, though we tend to make the rules that they are not allowed on the carpeted areas (bedrooms), however sometimes I lax the rules as Murphy has taken to sleeping under my toddler's bed in the far corner when she goes down for a nap and being 8 months preg. makes it very hard to get him out quietly...cheeky little guy. It is all personal choice and they learn quickly.

Enjoy these puppy times

Thank you for your advice. I definitely need to set some boundaries though, because she follows us everywhere. At first I thought this was good because I could watch her to ensure she doesn't go potty in the wrong place but I don't want her to get upset when we aren't there. I am still at work until Tuesday next week and my parents are looking after her. I feel like a real mum! In the morning at 7:15 I drop her off with her exercise pen, potty and crate and pick her up in the afternoon after work. I had a horrible parvo scare today. I will post about it in the health section. Thank you all for your advice!

Yes....good to try to make them be okay separated from you, but I could never stop Brooklyn from following me! She still does it! I'm like "umm, Brooklyn, I'm going to the bathroom, you are not missing anything". Ha. What helped me what that I attached a lead to the coffee table next to her bed and when I would cook for instance (we have an open plan so I can see her), she would have the leash hooked to her while she was on her bed. Initially she would try to follow me, maybe cry for a minute, but I would just ignore her, she would stop and just lay in her bed. Now she knows to do that (though she still follows me all the time if I don't give her a command! Must be a cavvie thing).

It's good to teach them the "bed" command (just keep taking them there and saying "bed" and give them a treat when they go). Just a second level of training. I have a friend that used to door bell as a "instruction sound" so that when it rang, the dog ran to the bed and sat! How cool is that?! Brooky goes bonkers over the door bell, but I was so impressed that this woman did it. She just had her child stand out side and ring the bell, the woman would then lead the dog to the bed and say "bed" and treat over and over. Eventually the dog thought door bell meant treat and bed. So amazing. :)

Back