Thread: Sydney's Not Feeling Well

Post Thanks / Like

Sending get well wishes to Sydney

Irene-
    Jack and Penny's Mom, NYC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneys Mom View Post
    Anne, that made me smile as I'm pertty sure Sydney doesn't have a hangover.....me on the other hand could be a different story!
    Well, I'm glad it made you smile
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Sydney and you are in my thoughts. Hope something can be done about the liver. My two are on lifelong medication because of SM. I remember Tania told me that you can get something to suport the liver but I think you have to give that from the start.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorry to hear the latest about Sydney

I'm surprised the vet didn't give you anything for his liver - in the past we have given Zentonil Advanced which can be used in all cases when the liver is known or expected to require support. It is a divisible, palatable formulation of SAMe with an extra benefit of Silybin - this is the active ingredient of milk thistle so saves you from having to give both. BUT check first with your vet before giving - just a quick 'phone call.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplemen...or-dogs-p-3852

You can download a helpful wee guide to liver support from the manufacturer's website http://www.vetoquinol.co.uk/client_P...owner_area.asp

The dose is 200mg for a 10kg Cavalier so depending on Sydney's weight, it is cheaper to buy the 400mg tablets and split them!

It sounds like the vet is trying to find a balance with the digoxin to still support Sydney's heart but not cause too much damage to the liver. Sadly this can be quite difficult - it's really good that he is under the care of a cardiologist as they are the best people to manage such a complicated condition, they have the knowledge and experience.

Sending our very best wishes to you both.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add to what Nicki has said,there is a special liver support diet you can feed him as well as the milk thistle and/or zentonil.
    Royal canin (and other brands) do a prescription hepatic kibble which has the right proportion of nutrients to reduce the stress on the liver and prevent build up of toxins in the system.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    So sorry to hear the latest about Sydney

I'm surprised the vet didn't give you anything for his liver - in the past we have given Zentonil Advanced which can be used in all cases when the liver is known or expected to require support. It is a divisible, palatable formulation of SAMe with an extra benefit of Silybin - this is the active ingredient of milk thistle so saves you from having to give both. BUT check first with your vet before giving - just a quick 'phone call.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplemen...or-dogs-p-3852

You can download a helpful wee guide to liver support from the manufacturer's website http://www.vetoquinol.co.uk/client_P...owner_area.asp

The dose is 200mg for a 10kg Cavalier so depending on Sydney's weight, it is cheaper to buy the 400mg tablets and split them!

It sounds like the vet is trying to find a balance with the digoxin to still support Sydney's heart but not cause too much damage to the liver. Sadly this can be quite difficult - it's really good that he is under the care of a cardiologist as they are the best people to manage such a complicated condition, they have the knowledge and experience.

Sending our very best wishes to you both.
    Thanks for this information. I will look into it and check with the vet and/or cardiologist and see if this will be helpful. I think they are waiting for the next round of blood tests to see if this is medicine related or a primary liver disease and then see the options (not many, I know). As for his digoxin level, we are lowering his dose and switching to a liquid form as it will be easier to regulate the dosage.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    Just to add to what Nicki has said,there is a special liver support diet you can feed him as well as the milk thistle and/or zentonil.
    Royal canin (and other brands) do a prescription hepatic kibble which has the right proportion of nutrients to reduce the stress on the liver and prevent build up of toxins in the system.
    Sins
    When I speak to the doctor, I will ask about this too. There is just so much information and you guys are great at sharing all you know. Thank you so much.

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering if there is an update on Sydney. He is such a trooper Joyce, and you've been through so much together. Saying some extra prayers for him and you too sweet lady.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Well, he seems to be having some ups and downs. Yesterday was one of the down days. He was having some trouble breathing and his hind legs just seemed to have no strength. For a short time, he was unable to even stand on his own. Slowly, throughout the day, he got a little bit better. He ate well, which I am grateful for since that is one less battle. Today, he is back to his normal self. I know that all this is normal for his heart conditions, but it is really hard.

On Monday, I take him back to the cardio for a recheck of his blood, the digoxin levels and the liver enzymes. Keep your fingers crossed for my little guy.

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like

fingers, toes and paws crossed. Let us know how it goes
    Irene-
    Jack and Penny's Mom, NYC