• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sydney's Not Feeling Well

Sydney and you are in my thoughts. Hope something can be done about the liver. My two are on lifelong medication because of SM. I remember Tania told me that you can get something to suport the liver but I think you have to give that from the start.

So sorry to hear the latest about Sydney :(

I'm surprised the vet didn't give you anything for his liver - in the past we have given Zentonil Advanced which can be used in all cases when the liver is known or expected to require support. It is a divisible, palatable formulation of SAMe with an extra benefit of Silybin - this is the active ingredient of milk thistle so saves you from having to give both. BUT check first with your vet before giving - just a quick 'phone call.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-suppleme...143/zentonil-advanced-tablets-for-dogs-p-3852

You can download a helpful wee guide to liver support from the manufacturer's website http://www.vetoquinol.co.uk/client_Pet_info/petowner_area.asp

The dose is 200mg for a 10kg Cavalier so depending on Sydney's weight, it is cheaper to buy the 400mg tablets and split them!

It sounds like the vet is trying to find a balance with the digoxin to still support Sydney's heart but not cause too much damage to the liver. Sadly this can be quite difficult - it's really good that he is under the care of a cardiologist as they are the best people to manage such a complicated condition, they have the knowledge and experience.

Sending our very best wishes to you both.

Just to add to what Nicki has said,there is a special liver support diet you can feed him as well as the milk thistle and/or zentonil.
Royal canin (and other brands) do a prescription hepatic kibble which has the right proportion of nutrients to reduce the stress on the liver and prevent build up of toxins in the system.
Sins

So sorry to hear the latest about Sydney :(

I'm surprised the vet didn't give you anything for his liver - in the past we have given Zentonil Advanced which can be used in all cases when the liver is known or expected to require support. It is a divisible, palatable formulation of SAMe with an extra benefit of Silybin - this is the active ingredient of milk thistle so saves you from having to give both. BUT check first with your vet before giving - just a quick 'phone call.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-suppleme...143/zentonil-advanced-tablets-for-dogs-p-3852

You can download a helpful wee guide to liver support from the manufacturer's website http://www.vetoquinol.co.uk/client_Pet_info/petowner_area.asp

The dose is 200mg for a 10kg Cavalier so depending on Sydney's weight, it is cheaper to buy the 400mg tablets and split them!

It sounds like the vet is trying to find a balance with the digoxin to still support Sydney's heart but not cause too much damage to the liver. Sadly this can be quite difficult - it's really good that he is under the care of a cardiologist as they are the best people to manage such a complicated condition, they have the knowledge and experience.

Sending our very best wishes to you both.

Thanks for this information. I will look into it and check with the vet and/or cardiologist and see if this will be helpful. I think they are waiting for the next round of blood tests to see if this is medicine related or a primary liver disease and then see the options (not many, I know). As for his digoxin level, we are lowering his dose and switching to a liquid form as it will be easier to regulate the dosage.

Just to add to what Nicki has said,there is a special liver support diet you can feed him as well as the milk thistle and/or zentonil.
Royal canin (and other brands) do a prescription hepatic kibble which has the right proportion of nutrients to reduce the stress on the liver and prevent build up of toxins in the system.
Sins

When I speak to the doctor, I will ask about this too. There is just so much information and you guys are great at sharing all you know. Thank you so much.

Just wondering if there is an update on Sydney. He is such a trooper Joyce, and you've been through so much together. Saying some extra prayers for him and you too sweet lady.

Well, he seems to be having some ups and downs. Yesterday was one of the down days. He was having some trouble breathing and his hind legs just seemed to have no strength. For a short time, he was unable to even stand on his own. Slowly, throughout the day, he got a little bit better. He ate well, which I am grateful for since that is one less battle. Today, he is back to his normal self. I know that all this is normal for his heart conditions, but it is really hard.

On Monday, I take him back to the cardio for a recheck of his blood, the digoxin levels and the liver enzymes. Keep your fingers crossed for my little guy.

On the days when his back legs are wobbly, you could try rubbing them briskly for a few minutes. Oliver's not so good on his back legs these days - manages OK on the flat and his new steps are a great help, but often staggers a few steps when he gets up, especially first thing in the morning, and a brisk rub seems to help to get him going.

I can share what you're going through - had 9 months of it with Meg, my second Cavalier, and it does take over your life!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks Kate, I will try rubbling his legs. A lot of our flooring is wood and tiles, so I do have throw rugs scattered about and that helps some. He is unable to jump onto the couch, so we lift him. He can jump down, but I stop hem before and lift him down too. Taking no chances.

Oliver can't manage jumping either, but I got two sets of steps for him last week (one to get on the bed - where he spends a lot of the day watching me working on my computer - and one for the settee) and he loves them. The base is clip-together sturdy plastic with a washable mock sheepskin cover. The steps are very shallow, so he can manage them easily, up and down. They weren't expensive. Aled, my rescue, looked at them in horror - what new monster is this?! - but I sometimes catch him using them now!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I have those steps too, but had to stop using them when he was diagnosed with spondylosis in his neck and spine. We were told steps put too much pressure on his shoulders :-( My husband made him a ramp for the step in/out of the house and that has been a great help. I'm glad the steps are helping Oliver. I just hate that our dogs have so many issues.

Just a small update. Yesterday, I took Sydney back for this blood tests and after lowering his digoxin medication, his level is now normal! Also, his liver enzymes, though still high, it has gone down, more good news. I haven't spoken to the cardiologist yet, but will tomorrow and I assume she will have me speak with our regular vet about his liver and I'll ask further about the diets and supplements you all have suggested.

Oh Joyce, that is the best news I have heard all month. I will continue to pray that you are blessed with some wonderful time with Sydney.

fantastic news!! You are in our thoughts and we hope that Sydney will be with you for a long time yet.

Back