Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sydney's Not Feeling Well

Post Thanks / Like

On the days when his back legs are wobbly, you could try rubbing them briskly for a few minutes. Oliver's not so good on his back legs these days - manages OK on the flat and his new steps are a great help, but often staggers a few steps when he gets up, especially first thing in the morning, and a brisk rub seems to help to get him going.

I can share what you're going through - had 9 months of it with Meg, my second Cavalier, and it does take over your life!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kate, I will try rubbling his legs. A lot of our flooring is wood and tiles, so I do have throw rugs scattered about and that helps some. He is unable to jump onto the couch, so we lift him. He can jump down, but I stop hem before and lift him down too. Taking no chances.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Oliver can't manage jumping either, but I got two sets of steps for him last week (one to get on the bed - where he spends a lot of the day watching me working on my computer - and one for the settee) and he loves them. The base is clip-together sturdy plastic with a washable mock sheepskin cover. The steps are very shallow, so he can manage them easily, up and down. They weren't expensive. Aled, my rescue, looked at them in horror - what new monster is this?! - but I sometimes catch him using them now!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

I have those steps too, but had to stop using them when he was diagnosed with spondylosis in his neck and spine. We were told steps put too much pressure on his shoulders :-( My husband made him a ramp for the step in/out of the house and that has been a great help. I'm glad the steps are helping Oliver. I just hate that our dogs have so many issues.

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like

Just a small update. Yesterday, I took Sydney back for this blood tests and after lowering his digoxin medication, his level is now normal! Also, his liver enzymes, though still high, it has gone down, more good news. I haven't spoken to the cardiologist yet, but will tomorrow and I assume she will have me speak with our regular vet about his liver and I'll ask further about the diets and supplements you all have suggested.

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's great news!!!!
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Joyce, that is the best news I have heard all month. I will continue to pray that you are blessed with some wonderful time with Sydney.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful news Joyce. I am always cheering for Sydney!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

fantastic news!! You are in our thoughts and we hope that Sydney will be with you for a long time yet.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org