• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Different personalities for the different colors?

pepperduck

Hi everyone! I am getting my first cavalier this spring (very excited). I really have my heart set on getting either a ruby or a blenheim, but my in-laws have told me to do more research before getting that color. They have had cavaliers for years (blenheim, tri-colors, and black and tan), and they said they noticed that the different colors had different personalities. They suggested that blenheims are much more needy and would always follow you around and crave attention (more so than normal), and that tri-colors were much better about being left alone, and that black and tans were much more standoffish than the others (still cuddly friendly cavaliers though). I think that their dogs just have their own personalities and have nothing to do with color, but I wanted your opinions.

I have 3 Tri colors and everyone is different. All follow me around constantly. Doesn't matter if I only move 5 feet away...so do they. They want to be with me at all times. I'm a stay at home mom so I'm with them most of the time. When I leave for errands they all seem okay snoozing on the couch for a few hours but WOW are they excited to see me. My youngest is 1.5 years old and a total SPAZ! He can play for hours on end and still want to play. He is bouncing around constantly! He is very smart and is up for a game of fetch or frisbee at any time. His name is Flash and it sure fits him. He is a blur of black and white whenever we are outside. He can cuddle but he prefers to be bouncing around. My 5 year old female is very calm & cuddly. She has no interests in toys or rough play what so ever. She is very easy going but she can't stand to be out of my sight if she knows I'm home. If she can't find me she whines. My 5 year old boy is a great combination of cuddly and sweet but a little playful. My youngest loves everyone and everything. He doesn't seem to have any fears. My older 2 prefer people who are calm and slow moving. They are great with my son but a little standoffish of other kids. I think this is mainly do to there heath issues. (Afraid of being hurt when petted).

I believe every dog is an individual and color doesn't play any part in there personality. Health issues do however play a major role in there personality. All 3 of mine are suffering from moderately to sever CM/SM and flare ups definitely play a role in how they act. Even on medication the bad days can cause them to be abnormally standoffish due to a pain episodes and then extra needy/cuddly following an episode. My 5 year old boy would be a lot more active and hyper if it wasn't for his MVD & SM slowing him down.

I totally agree Pepperduck, I don't think you can relate a dogs temperament or personality to the colour of their coat.
We have one male Blenheim puppy who is 5 months old, and he still has his moments where he will follow either of us around, or if
we leave the room, even if he appears to be sound asleep, will trot along after us. If you disappear to have a quick toilet break for a
minute, he'll greet you when that door opens as though he hasn't seen you all week. But he does that with practically anyone.

He's everyone's friend. Even the postal delivery guy who delivers the eBay parcels, the postman, people delivering catalogs,
even birds in the backgarden and a random car making a U - turn in our little court, they are all classed as his friends.
Now, we play a little game called 'hug me', where I follow him around asking for hugs and he can't run from me fast enough
girl_haha.gif

Jessie's parents have completely different personalities, where they will only greet people once they have interacted with you a few times,
and are a little weary. Lovely temperaments though once you form some sort of bond with them.

I think it's almost solely environmental and how you raise your new puppy.
Just the same with dangerous breed dogs, It seems to have more to do with dangerous owners rather than the breed of dog.
Good luck on whichever colour you decide on, they are all beautiful
give_heart.gif

Back