Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raw diet effects on health?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raw diet effects on health?

Hi all, So many things running through my mind in preparation for our first Cav. So here goes just one...

I feed all raw to our Yorkie. She does really well on it though I feed premade raw because I am too scared to feed consumable bones. So naturally the thought runs through my mind how many are feeding their Cavs raw and has anyone noticed positive health points in regard to the many health issues that the Cavvies have?

Sorry if you will soon tire of all my questions but the more I read the more questions I seem to have.

Post Thanks / Like

I know of many people on the Forum that feed a raw diet to their Cavaliers and everybody speaks of the benefits especially as Cavaliers suffer from anal glands. I have just switched to K9 freeze dried raw and it’s great. Not cheap but very convenient. Look it up on www.k9natural.com
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it really depends on the dog and the raw diet. A lot of people I fear feed nutritionally deficient raw diets that are homemade as it isn't as simple as throwing together a bit of this and that. Over time, failing to provide the correct balance for canines will be deleterious to health and this will not be obvious because much of the effect will be on things you cannot see or that take time to develop. Different breeds can also have different needs. I'd advise anyone choosing to feed raw to get Monica Segal's booklet on diets for cavaliers, follow her discussion list and consider her book on raw and homecooked diets. Her regular newsletter (free) can be very insightful -- people write in with questions and are doing what may seem to be the right supplementing etc but her advice on just how wrong some of these approaches are can be eye-opening (she is a qualified nutritionist, unlike a lot of people who post to various raw food forums or write books on the topic!). She is adamant in particular that OVER supplementing is a serious problem for some dogs, and also can be a huge waste of money. Thus just throwing in handfuls of this and that simply because someone recommends vitamin x and oil y is the wrong approach an can even be far worse than feeding the cheapest supermarket tinned food.Some dogs also simply do not do well on raw -- it can make them ill. And it could be a risky diet for immune-compromised dogs. Some long established and respected raw feeders believe it is risky to give raw to dogs under anything from 6 month to a year because of their underdeveloped immune systems.Raw really suits some dogs and can be a great diet for dogs that have digestive problems on commercial foods, and many swear by raw of course!I fed raw for quite a while and frankly saw no difference overall to health or coat or the things that can be very subjective when evaluated by the owner. One thing for sure: dogs tend to love raw though! But then mine will eat just about anything with gusto. One will eat a dog or cat poop as happily and lustily as a bowl of raw, so I think 'enthusiasm' for this diet or that can also be very subjective in the eyes of owners (who kind of forget that a cat poop or additive-laden hot dog will be just as excitedly greeted by their dog ).I think any balanced diet is fine, raw, commercial or homecooked, and no one should feel guilty for making one choice over another (personally I feed a mix of all three, randomly). Most of preference and result is perception in the owner rather than result in or preference of the dog. It still makes me laugh to read ingredients lists on many supposedly 'closer to the wild canine' diet products that contain seaweed powder and cranberries and wild salmon (even wolves do not catch wild salmon though they might scavenge a nice rotten one left by bears, who do catch them... ).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    My four all eat Raw and as Karlin says I even include blueberries and a teaspoon of Seaweed powder ,but seriously they do eat a large
    variety of raw meat ,veggies and fruit and a wide range of supplements .They enjoy it and I love making it and seeing what other things
    I can give to them though I do not give any form of bone but I do add a bonemeal supplement .please read up and learn before you start and it can be quite expensive as I buy their meat from my local butchers all prime cuts and strawberrys lately have been 2 a punnet and we use three a week and water melon two a week at 2.50 each all from Sainsbury.

I am happy with a bowl of cornflakes .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

I fed raw for quite a while and frankly saw no difference overall to health or coat or the things that can be very subjective when evaluated by the owner.
    Best answer yet, IMO. It is entirely subjective and depends on the dog.

I would feed kibble if I could because it is easier and cheaper, but our Cav's eyes run more, and she scratches like mad when fed kibble--enough to make you wonder if she's got SM! We've done grain-free, rice-based, you name it. I finally found a frozen pre-mixed raw 'diet' that works for her and there is no scratching, at all, ever. I also add vitamin supplements. It is also a bother to store, divide, refreeze, as well as to pack up and store when she is boarded.

As for our Cav, Sophie, she luuuurrrrves kibble, and there are the occasional times she gets it. She gets so excited and dances around in circles, so we call it her "Happy Meal", but mostly it is used as a treat. In very small quantities, it doesn't cause allergy troubles. It would be so nice, though, if it could be her regular food.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the thoughts on it. You can never take in enough info and experiences I think.

I have been feeding my Yorkie on pre made raw since Oct. I don't find it too much hassle and she loves it which isn't something we could ever say about any other food she ever tried. She never had any problems such as itching and it hasn't been very long so I couldn't say she's had any real benefit from it that I can see on the outside but it makes me feel better.

I do believe that what's in their food does have an impact on their health so just want to make sure I make the right choices for the best chance at good health. If I end up bringing home a puppy vs an adult I would not raise her her first year on raw though.
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion".
    Author: Taken from a LO done by Too Scrappy

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I feed raw.

Darlings food, is prepared with the correct amount of meat, vegetable and bone. Even though my dogs have genetic health problems, their general condition, eg. coat, teeth, anal glands and skin are excellent. The only supplement I use is Yumega Plus and that is mainly for Dotty who is an ex puppy farm dog who came to us in a dreadful state. If you feel raw food is not convenient, look at K9 Natural. I tried preparing "the perfect raw diet" it didn't really work so I left it to the experts.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have information about irradiated dog food? I've heard the US requires irradiation of all imported dog food.

Post Thanks / Like

The FDA approved the use of irradiation for all pet foods in April 2001. Most of our food bought in the grocery stores are also irradiated.
    Here's a good article against it.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Hidden...ion&id=4039420

and one for it http://www.petplace.com/dogs/irradia...afe/page1.aspx

A little searching will bring up lots of studies that show the against side. http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=13088

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-news/2...radiation.aspx

This one relates more to dogs http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=13936

as does this one http://jap.physiology.org/content/14/4/639.abstract

http://www.iicph.org/food_irradiation_revisited

This article shows the symbol you will find on irradiated food http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/aa/aa-23sep2008.htm

I listed some of the articles but there are tons out there.
    I think all in all it is one of those things that a person has to study and decide for themselves. Just MHO but I see far more against than for and it isn't something I am for.
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion".
    Author: Taken from a LO done by Too Scrappy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waldor View Post

I would feed kibble if I could because it is easier and cheaper, but our Cav's eyes run more, and she scratches like mad when fed kibble--enough to make you wonder if she's got SM!
    I feed Bella a 'Premium vet recommended kibble' and she scratches quite a bit. I am thinking of taking her off it to see if it is the food. She has a few little bits of flaky skin that looks like dandruff. How long would it take to see a change in scratching if I change the diet?