• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What does everyone feed?

Tzubabies

I'm really into nutrition and curious what everyone here feeds their Cavaliers. Right now I'm feeding my Shih Tzus (no Cavalier yet) Acana Grasslands (lamb based food) mixed with Prairie lamb and oatmeal canned. They also get fish oil and vitamin E everyday.

So everyone else, it's your turn to share!!

We feed our little guy an all natural fresh puppy loaf. It's just chicken, turkey necks, rice, egg, thyme, fish oil, parsley and pumpkin.
He also enjoys celery, carrot, apple and watermelon and we treat him with a kangaroo stick per day, which he looooooves.

Nalu likes the Taste of the Wild wetlands formula - human grade, grain-free, digestible and supports the immune system. I add meat, a supplement for bladder health, and fish oil.

Acana's a great food. I feed my guys Orijen Kibble as treats. (as you probably know it's made by the same people who make Acana).

I used to feed them Acana, but it was tough to find in the winter (fish shortage supposedly) and my guys still had soft stools on it (like every other kibble we tried). Now for the last year and a half we have been The Honest Kitchen. It's a dehydrated "raw" food. You add warm water and let it sit 10 minutes before feeding. My dog Lucky also get a little of the supplement that Honest Kitchen makes called "Perfect Form." They have been doing great on it. As they get older, since Lucky's dad has a murmur & Sparky is a rescue, I plan to start them on CoQ10. I ordered some from Monica Segal last week that I hope arrives soon. :)

My dogs are fed raw. I am able to buy ground chicken, turkey, beef and duck from a local meat supplier. I start with Preference, Honest Kitchen's veggie base, add Halshan's organ meats (hearts, kidney, liver) and on occasion ground turkey or chicken necks and the ground raw. The ground raw is the largest part of their meal. They get a small amount of non fat yogurt in their dinner. From time to time, they get ground egg shell for calcium. They get fish oil supplements and CoQ10 daily. I will be starting them on Vit E but not daily. Their treats consist of cheese, Real Meat treats, Natural Balance rolls and other non grain treats. Nothing made in China. From time to time, they are fed Honest Kitchen Zeal or Embark. I want them used to eating food other than raw in the case of an emergency (ie. power failures, travels, boarding etc).

We feed Sonny, Natural Balance duck and potato formula. For treats he gets Wellness just for puppy treats, meat (depending on what we have on hand, usually chicken, steak , pork tenderloin, cheese, sweet potatoes).

Mine are eating Fromm Beef Frittata kibble right now (will rotate with Surf & Turf and their new grain free flavors). I top the kibble with some canned food and a little water to make a gravy. I use Fromm Gold cans and Nature's Variety Homestyle. Today I did add some Castor & Pollux Natural Ultramix grain free canned. I also give them a probiotic and/or enzyme supplement with their meals. I like to use Vetri Science Mega Probiotic or Wholistic Pet Digest All Plus. They also get coq10 and I'm gonna add a vit/min supplement from Vetri Science called Canine Plus Senior. I give Wholistic Pet Salmon oil from time to time and am planning on getting some Vetri Science 3-6-9 capsules, as well.

Mine get a rotation of kibble, but right now they're on Acana Pacifica with Canine Caviar mixed in (because the Acana is a hit too high in protein for Lyra.. She gets really soft stool). A couple of days a week they get raw (mixed mince of chicken, mutton, fish, and beef), and sometimes canned.

I supplement with 1000mg of salmon oil a day, and a capsule of glucosamine/probiotics/enzyme.

Back