• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

10 week old puppy not very active and a bit wobbly on back legs

Nenee

Hi there

I brought home my 10 week old ruby cavalier today and expected the usual puppy antics such as having a mad play then sleep etc

But I'm worried. She was sick in the car then seems very timid shaking and when I put her down to walk she goes almost flat to the floor and her back legs are wobbly she then gets up to walk but doesn't walk far. I know she's very scared but I'm worried about her she's eating ok but seems very timid.

The breeders house was noisy with a rot weiller running round and a two year old son who threw toys at the puppy and was playing on his basket with a digger and she was shaking bless her. Do you think she's just traumatised :-(

I'm taking her to the vets Tom what conditions could she have :-(

Please advise

Im worried
nenee

Hi Nenee.

It sounds as though she's been traumatised by his environment with the breeder and then being in a new home where she hasn't had a
chance to bond with anyone yet. It really does sound more of an emotional and mental issue that anything being physically wrong,
but I'm no expert.

Do you have any children yourself or any other pets?
I think it's important just to ease her into your household and spend lots of time sharing cuddles, talking in a soft tone and a few sneaky
treats wouldn't hurt either. Are you, or hubby able to take a few days off to spend time with her? When we were waiting for our puppy
to come home, I read that it was important to be home in the first few initial days, to help your new pup settle in and explore her
new environment. It worked really well for us.

Our little guy Jessie was the opposite basically, but it is only myself and hubby, no children, yet. But when Jessie first met two
littler family members, he was terrified and hid under our bed and wouldn't come out. Now he won't leave them alone and bounces
off the walls when they are here, but initially he didn't like the loud noise that comes with kidlets.

Sounds like she's just scared. Try to avoid loud noises, or startling her until she realizes that you're her friend. She'll be tearing around in no time.

I would agree with the above. If you haven't got her a crate it may be a good idea to get one, cover in blankets to make it nice and snug and put lots of nice things in there so she can have a 'safe' place to go to.

If your puppy is a bit shy to start with, try to see the world from her point of view - that is, about 9 inches above the ground! People are just feet and legs; an easy chair is a towering cliff; if you have patio doors, the glass in them shimmers and moves. Lots of cuddles and a gentle voice (especially saying her name, so that she associates it with security and pleasure - easiest way to teach the recall!); a crate gives her a secure 'den' and also a familiar place to stay when you have to leave her alone; but also carry her around the house and garden so that she can see things from a different viewpoint while feeling secure - if she is nervous, this is also a good thing to do when she has finished her shots and can be taken out and about, and it also means people who stop to say hello are at her level, not looming over her.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi everuone

Thank you all for your help and you were all right!

I had already set up a crate and covered it half way with a black fleecy blanket she loves her crate!

Shes kep separate from the kiddies as I have a stair gate keeping them confide to the lounge and living room and coco has all the kitchen hall etc so she has peace.

Iv given her loads is quiet time and love and when the kids aren't around we play etc

I took her to the gets and she said she was that traumatised she just emotionally shut down.

But after lots of TLC she's a different dog. I got my son to sit quietly at the side of the crate and feed her chicken and now she follows him everywhere :)

Shes eating now and such a happy little thing

Can I just ask:

The breeder said she's 5 generation pedigree and gave me a yellow printout of the family pedigree etc but there's no registration numbers on it not sure if it's real she said my puppy not kc reg but 5 generation pedigree the mum a Oakland something or another?

Iv been trying to get her to sit but she just runs round like a looney is this normal puppy behaviour? I love to see her like that but I'm going to puppy classes 14th jan and wondering if she will pick it up?

Iv been feeding her a high quality dried food is this ok on its own?

So happy she's ok
Cheers

What a horific start to the poor puppies life,Traumatised........ she must have been scared out of her wits. Bad Bad Breeder!!!! That's not the way to bring up tiny puppies.

It sound like a back yard breeder, but the main thing is to give your new puppy lots of time to get used to life in a safe environment where she can gain confidence.

Poor puppy,
She has had a tough start in life.I think you're doing the right thing,letting her settle and slowly introducing your son to her and letting them bond over food!!
If the kibble is dry,you can moisten it with a few tablespoons of water maybe an hour before you feed her,it'll soften nicely.
It's good to see her being a loony,all part of the normal excitement of being a baby.
if her hind legs are wobbly,don't allow her to do too much exercise or jump off furniture.
Sins

She's definitely herself she had me in stitches earlier she had a small rabbit teddy in her mouth running around with it only to stop and shake it vigoursly lol

Im off for 3 weeks with her now to give her lots of time and TLC I only work 2 short days and have a huge cat flap to a huge garden so as soon as she's old enough she can let herself in and out for toilet ;-)

I am glad to hear things are going better! To get her to sit, hold the treat in front of her nose so that she can smell it, then slowly move it up over her head. Say "sit", dogs physically have to sit when they follow the treat that way. I learned this when I met a friend at a pet supply shop that had puppy classes and I watched the class. I have taught Bella to sit by doing this. Good luck!

I hope I explained it well enough.

Coco is like a different dog she's so happy! She has her little routine and is such a good girl doing very well at house training and I just need to get her confident to walk on the lead now I'm itching to go walkies but I'm taking things slowly
cheers
Nenee

Back