Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggy doors?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Doggy doors?

Hello Everyone!

I have a doggy door on my screen door that Bella loves to use. I have been thinking of getting on for the main back door so she can come in and out when we are not there. Does anyone have that set-up? I am mostly worried that if she can access the back yard while we are not home then someone could take her. She likes to potty in the yard and takes herself back inside when she is finished, she doesn't like the portable potty. Maybe I need to get some real grass for it. Advice please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We've been thinking on investing in one for our little guy too. As he is getting older and has great bladder control now.
    All we have are sliding glass doors and security screens on those, so we need one that fits between the frame and open door and
    will lock. Sounds as though you have one of those.

eBay is really cheap for doogy doors if you have the plain timber door and a handyman that has a jigsaw to fit it.
    I wish we had of incorporated a timber door into our house plans when we built our home, it would have been far easier.

Is your yard secure? Years ago, there used to be a black market for purebred dogs, but I think that has really been stamped out
    with the introduction of compulsory microchipping. If your at all worried, you can always erect a dog run of sorts, so she can come and
    go out the door, but has a private area to play that is secure. But that's a pretty pricey option.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a gate with a dead lock on it but our backyard backs onto bushy nothingness. I don't want her stuck inside or outside all day when I go back to work (in 5 weeks, today is my first day off whoo).

Post Thanks / Like

We have a "Dog flap" door in our back door so Leo can go in and out to our garden at his leisure.......we do however lock it at night and when we're out.

I dont think its a good idea to allow them out when you're not home, the risk of him being stolen or hurt is far too high.
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to reconsider. Thieves and burglars have been known to use doggy doors to access a house without "breaking" in. All it would take is a small child who is told what to look for and where.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waldor View Post
    You might want to reconsider. Thieves and burglars have been known to use doggy doors to access a house without "breaking" in. All it would take is a small child who is told what to look for and where.
    Or a small burglar. I housesit for my boss, and occasionally forget my key. I have no trouble fitting through their doggie door. Their son is too big to fit, but his arm is long enough he can reach through and unlock the door if he gets locked out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soushiruiuma View Post
    Or a small burglar.
    Yes! Some people can wiggle through amazingly small holes. Years ago, one of our son's friends who is six feet tall folded himself up into our 24" dog crate. I took a photo to prove it. Crazy kids!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The other thing to consider is a cavalier -- and especially any puppy -- can be carried off by large birds of prey or taken by wild animals that can jump a wall/fence, such as mountain lions and many coyotes in the US for example..

Compulsory microchipping will do very little to halt dog theft. We have that here too for all IKC bred puppies and makes not an iota of difference. People buy and sell dogs no questions asked, and also steal them for breeding where chips make no difference at all. Also passive breeds like cavaliers are stolen and used for fighting dog bait -- a dreadful ending for a dog. Someone here in Ireland found their pet golden retriever was stolen and killed in this way.

I would never leave a dog with access to the outside when no one is home.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Also passive breeds like cavaliers are stolen and used for fighting dog bait -- a dreadful ending for a dog.
    How horrible. I simply cannot fathom people who would do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    The other thing to consider is a cavalier -- and especially any puppy -- can be carried off by large birds of prey or taken by wild animals that can jump a wall/fence, such as mountain lions and many coyotes in the US for example..

I'm from Arizona and I know ALOT of people who have had dogs snatched by coyotes, including my parent's Lhaso Apso. Luckily my parents were home, scared the coyote and he dropped their dog, but I know a lot of people who have not been so lucky.