Thread: Good News: Dog Breeding Act finally signed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good News: Dog Breeding Act finally signed

Some good news for Christmas, the minister has signed the commencement order for the Dog Breeding Establishments Act 2010 so hopefully a brighter start for all doggies in Ireland in 2012.
    Surprisingly, the minister noted that 'most dog-breeding establishments were well run. However, I am well aware of problems with a small number of establishments.' He still seems unaware of the real problems.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...309381421.html
    Sue

Darcy - Blenheim - 17th Sept 2005
    'Life is a balance of holding on and letting go'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't want to kill this thing before it even gets started and I do welcome the news that even an ill informed minister has good intentions BUT

What provisions are made for inspection of premises used for dog breeding?
    What training will be given to the inspectors?
    Who will pay for it?
    Will it be enough?
    What penalties or enforcement measures are intended to be applied to those who fail to meet the standards?
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

It is good news that at least the act has been signed. I will e-mail the minister with your queries but I am still waiting for him to reply to any of my previous letters . I will cc my local TD- he did at least reply in the last instance, with quite a comprehensive letter. We'll see what the outcome is, but theyr'e on their hols now.
    Happy Christmas Everyone
    Juno, Sooty, Suki, Tilly
    Anna and Whisper waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Flo all of these things are covered in the bill but of course how well they are enforced by various country councils will make a difference. But it gives significant powers now for inspections, and basic standards that actually surpass what is in law in the UK or US for example. I will try and find the link to the bill.

The bill is the result of a lot of work by vets, individuals, welfare groups, the IKC (who were very supportive in total contrast to the KC in the UK or the AKC in US!) and so on. Many here sent in recommendations and comments a few years ago. I sent in a long submission with a lot of detail from breeders aware of this industry and how it works and who had evidence of shipments into the UK/US/Canada. I had a lot of detail from when I wrote the story for the Irish Times that is here in the Library section on puppy mills/farms. I encouraged many of those breeders outside the Irish Republic to make submissions as well and several did.

It was a long time coming but is a very good start and I think groundbreaking in world terms. Much of the proposed Welsh bill is clearly based on it. All of us would have liked to see other things in it or out of it. It will push a LOT of people out of puppy farming.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As far as I am aware this is the final version of the bill (ie this is the actual Act so should mean, as enacted this week in final form) and will answer questions on what is in it, how it will work and what penalties are:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/...029/index.html
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I e-mailed my local Td, but they are on their Christmas break. In my e-mail I asked who was going to operate the inspections etc- (be great if there was some new employment created) so I'll let you know what the reply is when they are back in January.
    Happy Christmas everyone.
    Juno, Sooty, Suki, Tilly
    Anna and Whisper waiting at the bridge