Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HI! New and I have an unusual Cavalier - all black...

Post Thanks / Like

She is gorgeous. I want to see more of her face. Love her sweater too.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

From Evelyn Booth's book 'All About The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' .......

"In the fifties and sixties one used to see most oddly coloured Cavaliers, blacks and whites and blacks were uncommon but could easily be found"

In the original standard, black and whites were permitted but not desirable, but in 1973 the standard was altered to list the four accepted colours and the words " Any other colour or combination of colours is most undesirable"

Molly Marshall, who is now well into her nineties and still the President of the Eastern Counties Cavalier Club, had a well known Kormar all black stud dog way back in the sixties and I have been told he had been capable of siring puppies of six colours, including all black & black and white, in one litter.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your Sophie is beautiful. I know of several all black and also black and white Cavaliers. Some are rescues and one from a good breeder. They are just adorable. I find it a shame that they and the Chocolates are no longer a recognized color.

I hope you & Sophie have many healthy happy years together and I'm looking forward to knowing her better through this board.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    ............ a shame that they and the Chocolates are no longer a recognized color. .
    Evelyn Booth also mentions in her book that the Chocolates had 'gooseberry' eyes and were most unattractive!

There is no way I want to detract from the charm of the lovely Sophie, but the reason I have been besotted with tricolours ever since seeing my first one is the wonder of seeing the tricolour markings all come out in the right sizes and in the right places. With all those genes and chromozones buzzing about it always amazes me that any of them ever look so beautiful.

When I was quite new to breeding my first and second litters were all Blenheims, but when the first tri girl popped out of the third litter I looked at her and let out the loudest scream of joy that could ever be heard. I found out later that all the neighbours heard it and wondered what was going on. For me there is something so special about the tris that just isn't there in the other three colours. I am looking at four tris now and each of them looks very different from the others, but still they conform to the breed standard.

Of course, having said that, I do think all Cavaliers are beautiful and yes I do know that beauty is only skin deep.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thanks for all the posts!
    I'm glad to hear that there are other all black Cavaliers out there. I was starting to wonder since I couldn't find anything on the web!

Today I was looking at Sophie as she was napping and the light must have been different and I could see 'ghost' markings of the lozenges above her eyes. I guess kind of like the black panther - how they look pure black but in the right light you can see the leopard or jaguar markings.

I took a pic of her with my iPhone and it came out pretty cute...
    (I was playing with the different camera settings - so it has a funny tint to it, but it still is such a cute shot! -- Now if I could just get a decent picture of her when she's awake! LOL)