• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice on Abbey from my fellow SM owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh my god. He just came home and he called our vet on his own He does love our Abbey also. The vet told him he's been bugged also by her energy level and been thiking like crazy since I was there. He now thinks that this might be prednisone related. He told George she's been on a low dose for a couple years and something about the adrenaline glands and not producing enough sugar--this is not diabetic related. Over my head. Abbey's neurologist is of course at a University which of course is closed for break and he said he wants to talk to the neurologist. This man is really unique. The old school type. I have his cell phone # and can call him night or day and has such a bedside manner and doesn't believe in emergency vets--on and on. He has a cavalier and had never heard of sm before Abbey so you know he's read and read and read up on it. His daughter also has 2 cavaliers so he does have a personal interest. I know his wife was there when I was there and she was asking me questions about the disease. Who knows but after hearing this we have to hang on to a bit of hope. I know for him to tell George this he has been thinking and researching etc. If my vet holds out that there might be some hope how can I possibly not give Abbey and us that little chance.

Please pray for alll of u. I believe in the power of prayer and we could use all the prayers we can get right now.

You certainly have my prayers. What a wonderful belated Christmas gift to get a ray of hope for Abbey. I'm glad your vet likes to think things through and not rush into life changing decisions. Hugs and blessings to all of you.

You certainly have my prayers. What a wonderful belated Christmas gift to get a ray of hope for Abbey. I'm glad your vet likes to think things through and not rush into life changing decisions. Hugs and blessings to all of you.

Me too. You are in my thoughts and prayers

Linda, I can only send you kindest thoughts and hugs during this extremely difficult time. Please keep talking to us, I'm sure I'm one amongst many who can't stop thinking about what you are going through.

Linda, I can only send you kindest thoughts and hugs during this extremely difficult time. Please keep talking to us, I'm sure I'm one amongst many who can't stop thinking about what you are going through.

I also can't stop thinking about you Linda. My prayers are still with Abbey.xxx

I also can't stop thinking about you Linda. My prayers are still with Abbey.xxx

Mine too and also with you, George, your wonderful caring vet and the neurologist. Maybe they can find a regime to help Abbey.

I am so sorry for what you are going through.

Have been thinking of you and Abbey and your husband every day. Your vet sounds like one in a million you are very lucky to have him at a time like this.

Thank you all. I e-mailed Dr. Shores in Mississippi today praying that he checks his e-mail and he did and he replied. I was ready to drive 400 miles with her to see him. I really do believe we are grasping for straws here. Part of me wants to take her picture and post on here but I don't want you all to remember her like the way se is and yea the tears are flowing again. He wrote this:

I understand how difficult this is. I have always thought the owners were better able to judge the time simply by seeing what is in the pet's eyes ... there is a lot you can tell just from how she responds to your "hello"
and a pat on the head. That tells me more about quality of life than anything. If she is continent, not in pain, and be comfrotable and happy most of the day (and enjoys eating), then those are good signs. If she looks at you and here eyes say "I don't want to go on" then you know the answer.

When we have always told Abbey what a pretty girl she is she has always been so happy with tail wagging like crazy. Now she just looks and me dumbfounded. In regards to Dr. Shores last sentence I know the answer. We need to respect our vet and his hopes on this prednisone deal but I truly believe Abbey will leave this earth sometime this week.

The pain right now is so unbearable.

I'm crying with you, but not giving up on prayer. Abbey and her journey have captured my heart and my heart is also breaking. Sending lots of love and hugs from Sydney and me.

I'm not giving up either and right now I am so up and down it's pathetic. I'm sure you can all tell that. I'm really not crazy - I'm just in love with a very special girl. She's messing with our head too--Abbey. George came home early today to work on year end business stuff and he says pretty girl and the tail is wagging. Treats given and she comes running. Maybe we are pushing this too soon. Dr. Shores mentioned pain--she doesn't seem in pain to me. She loves our special times together. She doesn't have the oomph like she used to but the other 3 are lazy and sleep all day unless food comes out and then it's like an alarm has gone off. I've got to get my mind off of this and I do trust my vet and for him to completely turn around in one day is quite amazing actually. Who knows maybe they'll come up with other drugs or whatever. You guys will be informed. Keep praying though. Yes I believe in prayer and so does Abbey. She will be 8 in a couple weeks.

Linda

I'm not the mess I was a couple hours ago. Love you all and thank you all for your posts as you all have helped more than you know.

Oh Linda

This is truely heart wrenching! I don't know what to say- I remember coming on here when Ruby was first diagnosed and you were one of the first people to say some words of encouragement about how well your little Abbey was doing- she had just had her surgery at the time and was making some great progress!
We all know that eventually this disease will take our little ones from us - I can't even imagine what you are going through. Looking at their faces and in to their eyes every day means that we can see when they are struggling- but having to say those words and know that you will never see the wisdom and beauty and life in those eyes ever again is unbearable. I'm not saying any of the right things at all but I know that deep down you have the strength to make that desision for Abbey and when the time is right you will. You made the desision for surgery as you beleived it was in Abbey's best interests- even though there was the possibity that it may not work but you were strong and made that desision. Just remember that and how you have given EVERYTHING to her and she has been such a strong little lady and given you EVERYTHING back!

I've lost the plot now and can't really see what I'm writing- I'm so sorry Linda and please give Abbey a kiss from me- she is so so lucky to have you. What ever you decide it will be the right desision - We are all thinking of you and praying for Abbey xxxxx

Linda I feel for you, it's awful to have this constantly weighing of your mind. I have been in your position twice in the past and can only send all my love, prayers and support to you. :hug:

Inda,

I am starting to think that Abbey is rather like my Rebel. Rebel iss 9 and has had symptomatic SM for about 18 months or so now. Some days I look at him and think how fit he seems for a dog his age and with his problems, but on the bad ones it is unbearable to watch him suffer and remember how he was before.

The difference between these two dogs is that Rebel has many more good days at present than bad ones, but of course Abbey's bad ones seem to outnumber the others. All I can say is that you are in my thoughts and prayers and that I am here with all the others for you to talk to when things get bad.

I truly know you all understand. Right now we are just waiting for tuesday for vet to contact neuro that saw her 3 weeks ago. I'm so torn on this---I truly don't know if it's time. This is all I can think about and cry. I've got to get my mind on something else and we will dea with it again on tuesday. Hubby and I are talking this through and we've both come to that conclusion to wait and see and then go from there.

Linda

Karen I remember you well. She did so good for the first couple years and then it's been down ever since. I have that blasted blog picture in my head with her strutting so happy. I haven't seen that dog in a very long time. I'm sorry for being such a downer everyone but my head just spins trying to figure all this out. I'm sure going to miss her when the day comes whether it be in a few days or whatever. She is my princess.

I know you all are probably sick of my posts. I'm getting tired of thinking all these things and writing them. This is what I wrote on my Facebook page. We aren't giving up on her yet.

Call us crazy but we've decided to try a product called "Pawz". This year her legs have been getting weak and our hardwood floors are her worst enemy. We have tried non-skid socks and they work pretty well but certainly could be a whole lot better. They turn in no time at all and then the non-skid spots are on the sides or worse yet on the top of her feet which makes the socks worse than wearing nothing at all. We've been watching and analyzing her like crazy this week trying to come to terms with this. We've decided that maybe these rubber boots might work. I've seen the reviews from people and people with cavaliers saying how great they are and how they stay on etc. and being rubber it doesn't matter if they turn. I think if she had more traction that she would have more oomph--that is our hope. You can see where she wants to get up but we think she knows she will slip and slide and fall. It's worth a try anyways. I'm just not ready to give up quite yet. I feel if she had more mobility then even though she would still be a little handicapped that at least she'd be a little more happy. She still shows signs of spunk. Maybe we are grasping for straws but it's truly very hard to give up on her at 7 years old. So it's going to be awhile as it will take about a week to get them. Please keep praying for her--she's such a special little dog.

If she showed signs of pain then this decision wouldn't be hard at all but she truly doesn't. I know if I kept falling all the time that I wouldn't want to get up either. It's like before my knee surgery and I didn't want to walk much as it plain and simple hurt.

Maybe our prayers will be answered and this will work. We still will hear from our vet on tuesday if he talks to her neuro.

I'm sorry for writing so much on here but I know there is so much support here and so many people with dogs with syringomyelia that know what we are going through and it helps more than you know. This site helped me so much 3 years ago and I did my best to help others until I went back to work and didn't have the time that I had before so hard to post.

Thanks for listening everybody and for putting up with these depressing posts.

Linda & Abbey

No need to apologize for writing out your thoughts here. It's horrible what our dogs have to deal with and a roller coaster ride no one wants to be on. I don't live with a SM dog....my Sydney is almost 12 but has severe heart disease, the other bain of our breed. There are days he just sleeps and gets up only for food, water and potty. Other days that puppy spunk comes back. Talking about it with those who understand helps. I guess what I'm trying to say is keep talking to us.

I glad Abbey is having a better day. Any little thing you can do for her to make her day to day easier is a blessing. Just remember that ylu are a loving Mom and Abbey knows that too.

Just thinking of and praying for you all. I feel that as long as you aren't seeing pain, and she is wagging her tail, all is right with the world. This is just my own opinion as it's such a personal decision.

It really does become 'one day at a time'. Only try to conquer today. You are doing so very well...hugs and prayers.

Yep Cindy. We have decided for "now" that it is no. I have ordered some rubber shoes that were recommended to me. Orthopedic rubber sole soft shoes I guess you would call them. We shall see how much they help. Her "old" neuro told me I would know when the time is right so we're not there yet. We've been watching her reactions to the wood floor and our whole house is almost wood --the stairs and ustairs landing are carpet and at the landing she looked at our bedroom wood floors like geez can't you get rid of these. I will keep all you posted. Thanks for all the wishes and support as it helps so much.

Oh -- I guess maybe I misunderstood the overall concerns of your previous posts -- is the issue really primarily that she is slipping on the floors? If the basic issue is difficulty in walking on floors at the moment, then I'd put down some inexpensive area rugs and runners -- you can get them at IKEA and hardware stores very cheaply. I think those would be a lot more effective than boots (and just be aware than some dogs can find items like boots uncomfortable and more distressing than whatever difficulty they have with slippery surfaces).

Boots also won't do anything for weakness -- ie if she only demonstrates the instability at home on certain floors that is one thing, but if the problem is general, regardless of where she is, then boots are not going to do much of anything especially if the socks didn't make a significant improvement. But I had thought you already had taken steps to get rid of the exposed floor surfaces in the past as she has ben having slipping problems from posts going a ways back I think? and I seem to remember this being discussed then. If some rooms are still too difficult though, I'd close the doors and limit her access to the slippery rooms.

I think you should talk to the neuro about pain however -- it is unlikely any dog with SM, especially severe SM, would be having no or little pain. It is very easy for owners to not think their dog is in pain, as they cover it very well. There are also levels of distress from disability that mean avery poor quality of life for a pet -- for example cats are very disturbed by incontinence. Dr Marino has done a study where they filmed dogs -- they inevitably perked up and wagged tails to see owners but the same dogs were clearly in pain and distress when owners were not there. He made this point at an SM symposium in the Uk to underline that assessment of pain is difficult especially for owners as dogs will try so hard to be outgoing and normal when owners interact with them. Tail wagging cannot really be used to assess the happiness of cavaliers -- they are bred to tail-wag constantly (as can be seen when they are in the show ring) and perhaps this is the result of the fact that they seem to have high levels of the feel-good hormone seratonin. Therefore they likely will often wag regardless of how they feel or hurt, unlike most other breeds. If a cavalier cannot wag that indicates serious distress, but the fact that a cavalier is still wagging its tail really cannot be used to judge pain or happiness. :(

If I had a dog with generally good quality of life with weak hindquarters as the main problem, I'd get one of those dog carts (assuming forelegs are strong enough for the dog to move about). But maybe it is all four limbs?

I think for us to 'know' it is the right time means really understanding what they are going through and being honest in our own attempts at assessment. I think like Nicki, that most people probably do not know when it is 'time' and probably leave it too late, as Margaret says has happened with her -- we tend to hope for sudden recoveries and fail to see that they are struggling early enough. Experience helps but most of us lack that. I think it is judging the right time before there's significant distress, especially with dogs that have a very limited timeline.

But none of us can make this assessment or advise any more than making fairly general comments to try and be helpful. It is impossible really as we cannot see her and we don't see her daily as you do.

When I lost Lucy to MVD I knew we were in her final weeks but in the end she passed away in her sleep quietly. I would not have tried to keep her going for the sake of a few extra days or weeks had she been in distress and struggling, but she was still very gung-ho and mobile and interested in food and life. Watching and waiting is very hard. :flwr:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back