Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Abbey from my fellow SM owners

Post Thanks / Like

oh my god. He just came home and he called our vet on his own He does love our Abbey also. The vet told him he's been bugged also by her energy level and been thiking like crazy since I was there. He now thinks that this might be prednisone related. He told George she's been on a low dose for a couple years and something about the adrenaline glands and not producing enough sugar--this is not diabetic related. Over my head. Abbey's neurologist is of course at a University which of course is closed for break and he said he wants to talk to the neurologist. This man is really unique. The old school type. I have his cell phone # and can call him night or day and has such a bedside manner and doesn't believe in emergency vets--on and on. He has a cavalier and had never heard of sm before Abbey so you know he's read and read and read up on it. His daughter also has 2 cavaliers so he does have a personal interest. I know his wife was there when I was there and she was asking me questions about the disease. Who knows but after hearing this we have to hang on to a bit of hope. I know for him to tell George this he has been thinking and researching etc. If my vet holds out that there might be some hope how can I possibly not give Abbey and us that little chance.

Please pray for alll of u. I believe in the power of prayer and we could use all the prayers we can get right now.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess

Post Thanks / Like

You certainly have my prayers. What a wonderful belated Christmas gift to get a ray of hope for Abbey. I'm glad your vet likes to think things through and not rush into life changing decisions. Hugs and blessings to all of you.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneys Mom View Post
    You certainly have my prayers. What a wonderful belated Christmas gift to get a ray of hope for Abbey. I'm glad your vet likes to think things through and not rush into life changing decisions. Hugs and blessings to all of you.
    Me too. You are in my thoughts and prayers
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Linda, I can only send you kindest thoughts and hugs during this extremely difficult time. Please keep talking to us, I'm sure I'm one amongst many who can't stop thinking about what you are going through.
    Christine
    Spangle born 24/11/07 (Blen)
    Poppy (Blen)who went to Rainbow Bridge aged 13 and a half.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spangly View Post
    Linda, I can only send you kindest thoughts and hugs during this extremely difficult time. Please keep talking to us, I'm sure I'm one amongst many who can't stop thinking about what you are going through.
    I also can't stop thinking about you Linda. My prayers are still with Abbey.xxx
    Kathleen
    Thomas (tri-colour) & Jade (blenheim) waiting at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    I also can't stop thinking about you Linda. My prayers are still with Abbey.xxx
    Mine too and also with you, George, your wonderful caring vet and the neurologist. Maybe they can find a regime to help Abbey.

I am so sorry for what you are going through.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Have been thinking of you and Abbey and your husband every day. Your vet sounds like one in a million you are very lucky to have him at a time like this.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. I e-mailed Dr. Shores in Mississippi today praying that he checks his e-mail and he did and he replied. I was ready to drive 400 miles with her to see him. I really do believe we are grasping for straws here. Part of me wants to take her picture and post on here but I don't want you all to remember her like the way se is and yea the tears are flowing again. He wrote this:

I understand how difficult this is. I have always thought the owners were better able to judge the time simply by seeing what is in the pet's eyes ... there is a lot you can tell just from how she responds to your "hello"
    and a pat on the head. That tells me more about quality of life than anything. If she is continent, not in pain, and be comfrotable and happy most of the day (and enjoys eating), then those are good signs. If she looks at you and here eyes say "I don't want to go on" then you know the answer.

When we have always told Abbey what a pretty girl she is she has always been so happy with tail wagging like crazy. Now she just looks and me dumbfounded. In regards to Dr. Shores last sentence I know the answer. We need to respect our vet and his hopes on this prednisone deal but I truly believe Abbey will leave this earth sometime this week.

The pain right now is so unbearable.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm crying with you, but not giving up on prayer. Abbey and her journey have captured my heart and my heart is also breaking. Sending lots of love and hugs from Sydney and me.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not giving up either and right now I am so up and down it's pathetic. I'm sure you can all tell that. I'm really not crazy - I'm just in love with a very special girl. She's messing with our head too--Abbey. George came home early today to work on year end business stuff and he says pretty girl and the tail is wagging. Treats given and she comes running. Maybe we are pushing this too soon. Dr. Shores mentioned pain--she doesn't seem in pain to me. She loves our special times together. She doesn't have the oomph like she used to but the other 3 are lazy and sleep all day unless food comes out and then it's like an alarm has gone off. I've got to get my mind off of this and I do trust my vet and for him to completely turn around in one day is quite amazing actually. Who knows maybe they'll come up with other drugs or whatever. You guys will be informed. Keep praying though. Yes I believe in prayer and so does Abbey. She will be 8 in a couple weeks.

Linda

I'm not the mess I was a couple hours ago. Love you all and thank you all for your posts as you all have helped more than you know.
    Linda, Georgia, USA