• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice on Abbey from my fellow SM owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so, so truly sorry to hear about Abbey, you have my most sincere condolences, it is just heartbreaking, you have done the kindest thing which shows just how much you love Abbey, keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

RIP precious Abbey *ng*l

Anne that would mean the world to me. I know many people contact me through her blog and even today at the vets they all came in and said we were family. Abbey has helped spread the word on sm and taught our vet about it. He had never heard of it until 3 years ago. I don't know what Abbey meant to you but I'd love to hear it. I'm going to update Abbey's blog in the next month with more pictures and what she meant to me and talk about positive and not all the negative of sm. She had such a will to live and anybody that met her just loved her.

Thank you all for the support. This has been one of the hardest decisions I have ever made in my life.

Linda

I'm so sorry for your loss

Linda, I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Abbey. I remember reading your blog on her symptoms and surgery when I was frantically searching the web for information on this horrific disease . I can't tell you what comfort it brought me to know I was not alone. She was a beautiful girl and I can't fathom the pain you are feeling at this moment. Please find some solace in knowing you did the kindest thing for her by letting her go at this time.
Your precious angel will always be with you in spirit. May she run pain free and strong, waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.
My deepest sympathies.

A 'SPECIAL PLACE'
You have a special place Dear Lord
that I know you'll always keep
A special place reserved for dogs
when they quietly fall asleep
With large and airy kennels
and a yard for hiding bones
With maybe a little babbling creek
that chatters over stones.
With wide green fields and flowers
for those who never knew
about running freely under
Your sky of perfect blue.
Lord,I know You keep this Special Place
And so to you I Pray,
For one Special Cavalier
Who quietly died today
She was full of strength & love
and so very, very wise.
The puppy look she once had
Had long since left her eyes.
She is dearly missed my Lord
By a friend of mine.
She went to join her family
In Your land that is Devine
So, speak to Abbey softly please
And give her a warm hello.
She's a Special gift to you Dear Lord
From her mammy, who loved her so.

Run free sweet Abbey. xxx

It hurts so much and I look around and she's not anywhere and of course the tears are already flowing. My eyes are so swollen. Don't know how I can go to work but I have to and if I sat home I'd cry all day. Will at times at work too I'm sure. I miss her so much.

I was too busy yesterday (and then too tired after a community party!) to come online, but I'm thinking of you both. I hope George has accepted that it was the best thing to do. Lots of :hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Linda,
You had the courage to let Abbey go to the bridge. I remember reading her blog avidly when my Minnie was first diagnosed and it was such a help to me.
Although we did not know Abbey personally your descriptions and blog entries brought her into all our lives. Thank you for sharing so much of her with us.
She will be fondly remembered by so many of this huge international family of people with SM affected dogs who do so so much to support each other through the good and bad times. Sending you lots of :hug:.

I'm so sorry for your loss Linda. From reading your posts, it's obvious how difficult it was for you to make this hard decision. But your love and dedication for her shines through your posts also. Be gentle to youself while to go through this painful time. Run free sweet Abbey

This is heart-breaking -- you and Abbey have been a part of the board for a long time. :( It is always so hard. I know it isn't much comfort but know that many of us have walked this journey and understand what you have been through and know the pain and acute sense of loss. It does ease with time and often it takes retrospect to gradually grow to know this was an act of love and kindness, not abandonment. We can be very hard on ourselves when it is all very recent and raw and we are not yet ready to be less (wrongly) judgmental of ourselves in taking a decision that eases suffering but brings such deep loss.

I know every single person on here loves their dog liked I love Abbey and understands and thats why I came here. Abbey thanks you Karlin for having CT as this site helped me figure out what was wrong with her. Unfortunately, she was 5 before we figured it out. I hope her story continues to help others and I pray to God I never go through this again. I have two other cavaliers and I know one of them has some sort of neuro issue and probably should mri him. There is never a good time to lose a dog but I feel robbed--she didn't even make it to her 8th birthday. She was young--very young. No time would have ever been enough but we were hoping for more. I love this breed and no nothing about breeding but god I hope breeders figure this out soon as this disease is awful.

Linda, I know only time can bring you and George some peace and healing. Just try to remember that little Abbey that you brought home, that sweet little face and that spunky little spirit, not how she was robbed of it all by SM. You loved her and love her still. Cherish all your memories of her. They'll help you get through this.

I didn't know Abbey very well. I would love to read her blog and learn more about this special little angel. where can I find it.

Oh Linda I am so sorry to read this and my sympathies go to you and your family. It is heartbreaking the way things turned out for Abbey. SM is such a cruel horrible disease and it is awful that Abbey didn't get a chance to live the long life we hope for all our dogs.
Take care of yourself.
Shirley

Keeping you in our thoughts Linda, have been through this too many times and I know how devastating it is to have to make that decision, but as Karlin says, in time you will realise that it was the right thing to do and Abbey is finally at rest and no longer in pain.

I will copy this thread across to the In Memoriam section so that Abbey can be with our other angels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back