• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is it SM again?

Sabby

I don’t even know where to begin.

Over Christmas with my husband at home we had a few more walks than usual.
After I returned from our walk this afternoon, my three were more hyper then usual because we went around the lake where all the ducks are and this gets them even more exited.
As soon as I sat down Ebony started stretching her back leg out like something was irritating her and I had a good look and there was nothing there but even when she was lying down she kept kicking her leg out all the time. As it is the left leg I knew it couldn’t be anything to do with the operation she had in April. As her paws where really muddy I gave her a quick shower, still I couldn’t find nothing. After she had her food she was scratching her legs like after when dogs have gone to the toilet. Then Harley started doing the same thing with his one back paw, it’s like the paw is gone into spasm. I checked his paw and nothing. I also gave him a quick shower and after he went rubbing his head and scratching his ear and neck like mad, never seen him do it that badly, he just woudn't stop. They are asleep now but Harley just jumped up and looked really worried and wanted a cuddle.

The only thing I can think of is the extra walks with all that excitement and the bath has aggravated the SM with both of them as Rosie is absolutely fine. Ebony is only on Trocoxil and her next tablet is due 5[SUP]th[/SUP] of January. I got the Lyrica for Harley but as he has not been scratching for a while and the Lyrica is to find out if the scratching is SM or something to do with his ears I have not given the Lyrica to him yet.

Has anybody experienced their SM dog just kicking out the back leg continually even when lying down? Or things getting worse after more exercise than usual? Every week brings something new I am just so fed up with it all. I can’t stand seeing my babies like this.

Last edited:
Sabby, I have no experience, but wanted you to know I was thinking of you, and saying a prayer for the dogs.
I was thinking they got something on their feet, but you said you showered them, so that doesn't sound plausible.

I hope someone with experience comes on and gives some help.

This is a hard question to answer because I don't think anyone can know for sure.

I believe that muscle cramping can sometimes be a SM symptom, I have seen it in affected dogs that have been sleeping and dogs that are exercising, but there could easily be other explanations for what you saw today.

This is one of the problems with owning a diagnosed SM dog, knowing your cavalier has a syrinx can save them some suffering because you are alert to subtle changes in their behaviour that otherwise would have been missed, but it can also make you predisposed to see everything different that they do as being SM related.

SM means you live with uncertainty. All you can do is mentally note the changes and wait and see if they are repeated often enough to be seen as a 'symptom'.

I know how hard you are finding this and I do understand. Harley & Ebony are such lucky cavaliers to be with an owner like you that will do everything possible to keep them comfortable.

Thank you both for your replies.

Harley had one more bad scratching episode last night, he was a little bit restless during the night but nothing too bad. Ebony slept through to her normal 5am. The kicking with her back leg has stopped the only thing is she is rolling around and scratching more again. After I gave her Trocoxil three weeks ago that had stopped. It’s coming up to her next monthly tablet now.

Margaret I wish everybody with an effective Cavalier would do what needs doing to get their dog pain free. When you take on a dog you take it on for life and it feels pain and I am very sure dogs also feel emotions. Even it is argued that dogs don’t. I know people that think because it’s not screaming in pain it is ok. It breaks my heart thinking of how many Cavaliers are out there in pain and nothing is being done about it. When you have a close bond with your dogs you know when things are not right.

Oh Sabine, I do feel for you. It is so hard having SM affected dogs. Excitement and exercise certainly affects Minnie. I've had my brothers Collie staying over Christmas and she loves having a ball thrown, which is also Minnie's favourite activity after bird chasing:).

I dont normally let Minnie do ball chasing as she gets so so excited, however as it is something she so enjoys I let her play with the Collie and the Ball on Christmas day for a while. It also means she can be safely off lead as it distracts her from bird chasing. For the rest of the day she had her problem with going up stairs and looked to me to lift her up onto the furniture, but the next day she was fine and looking to chase ball again, and was most put out that I didn't take it with me. The exercise and excitement does aggrevate her SM, but so far she recovers fairly quickly, but it is not something I would do on a regular basis.

At the end of the day you can't wrap them up in cotton wool and I guess Harley and Ebony really enjoyed themselves. I think it is so important that you can give them a quality of life which includes enjoying themselves occasionally.

It is so hard for us emotionally, but this forum gives so much support. We are with you in thought.:hug:

Murphy always kicks his leg out when resting and laying down. He has no signs of SM, I was told kicking their leg out whilst resting was a tremor of the heart but I am not sure of this. I hope you figure things out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back