Last night around 3am, Tony took Forrest (4 months old today) outside to go potty. Tony noticed him pawing at his face outside, but said he pretty much just went out and came back in without playing around at all. (by the way, we're in Kansas and it was probably 32 F at this time). When he brought him in he had a little bump on the left side of his face.
This is right after he came in, you can see the little bump on his left side next to his nose.
Very quickly (within minutes) it started swelling a lot more, then we noticed it getting red (this is such a bad quality pic, but shows the progression.
We quickly decided to take him to the emergency vet, and this is what it looked like while we were in the waiting room. (he was pawing forcefully at it the whole ride there)
The vet sees him and says she thinks it's a spider bite. They give him something for the swelling and an IV. They monitored him for a few hours and we finally left around 5am. This is him when we got home (wrong side I know, but you can see his little IV bandage...swelling and redness had gone down.)
They told us to give him 12.5mg of Benadryl every 12 hours and to not let him go outside and to look for rough skin around the area where they think he was bit because it could kill the skin and they will need to remove that skin if that's the case. This morning it was swollen, but better. He ate all his breakfast. I left for 2 hours for a photoshoot and left him in his kennel, and when I came back around noon it looked like this (much better, but still swollen):
Then, shortly after eating he was pawing at it again and I noticed it getting redder and redder and his lips were sooo saggy (particularly the left side)
Here's a pic to show the redness and swelling.
I'm trying to do my best to keep him from touching it, but it's hard. He's not very cuddly and doesn't want to be held much and squirms away from me when I try to restrain him.
Just for reference, here's what he looked like a few hours before this happened last night:
And the day before:
And last week:
Should I be concerned? Should I just keep him on the meds and wait for it to clear up? I feel like I'm over reacting, but he looks so sad.