Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forrest's 3am Trip to the Vet...still concerned...

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Forrest's 3am Trip to the Vet...still concerned...

Last night around 3am, Tony took Forrest (4 months old today) outside to go potty. Tony noticed him pawing at his face outside, but said he pretty much just went out and came back in without playing around at all. (by the way, we're in Kansas and it was probably 32 F at this time). When he brought him in he had a little bump on the left side of his face.

This is right after he came in, you can see the little bump on his left side next to his nose.

Very quickly (within minutes) it started swelling a lot more, then we noticed it getting red (this is such a bad quality pic, but shows the progression.

We quickly decided to take him to the emergency vet, and this is what it looked like while we were in the waiting room. (he was pawing forcefully at it the whole ride there)

The vet sees him and says she thinks it's a spider bite. They give him something for the swelling and an IV. They monitored him for a few hours and we finally left around 5am. This is him when we got home (wrong side I know, but you can see his little IV bandage...swelling and redness had gone down.)

They told us to give him 12.5mg of Benadryl every 12 hours and to not let him go outside and to look for rough skin around the area where they think he was bit because it could kill the skin and they will need to remove that skin if that's the case. This morning it was swollen, but better. He ate all his breakfast. I left for 2 hours for a photoshoot and left him in his kennel, and when I came back around noon it looked like this (much better, but still swollen):

Then, shortly after eating he was pawing at it again and I noticed it getting redder and redder and his lips were sooo saggy (particularly the left side)

Here's a pic to show the redness and swelling.

I'm trying to do my best to keep him from touching it, but it's hard. He's not very cuddly and doesn't want to be held much and squirms away from me when I try to restrain him.

Just for reference, here's what he looked like a few hours before this happened last night:

And the day before:

And last week:

Should I be concerned? Should I just keep him on the meds and wait for it to clear up? I feel like I'm over reacting, but he looks so sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi
    hope forrest gets well soon he's beautiful

Post Thanks / Like

It may just be drainage, but if it's getting red again, call the vet and see what they think. Your regular vet may want to see him. I hope he's feeling better soon! Our boxer was allergic to yellow jackets, so we have been there, done that with the swollen face/head .

Post Thanks / Like

Lindylou: thanks!

Furrfoot: thanks so much, if it were summer there would be no doubt in my mind it was a bug or something. With it being winter (and so cold out) I just can't imagine there are many bugs/spiders/bees alive outside! Last night was pretty expensive, so I'm just so hesitant to take him back so soon when I always just feel like I'm overreacting. Thanks for the advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    Hi

Don't worry about over reacting we all would and do ,keep on with the Benardrly and keep on
    watching him as you are and if any doubts at all take him back to your Vets .He is a beautiful
    little boy and so lucky to have a MOM like you who obviously cares so much for him .I would
    agree with the Vet it a spider bite or similar ,if he is not yet insured pls consider getting him
    insured ,last August my Daisy had to see a neurologist then a cardiologist all in the same week
    at a cost of about 2250.00 so its bettet in your pocket than others . He will be fine soon so
    dont worry too much even though its hard not to .

Best Wishes

Brian and
    Poppy,Daisy,Rosie and Lily
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness! Poor Forest, poor you! I would keep him on the Benadryl, and talk to your Vet about a collar. It would keep him from scratching, which is going to irritate it more. It just seems so weird that a spider would bite him outside. Is it possible he was foraging and overturned some leaves or something, and the spider was under that?

And I agree with Brian, I would look into insurance. Most of us have it just because we have Cav's. There is always a waiting period, but the earlier you get it, the better.

Let us know how he does. Saying a little prayer for him.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Poor little Forrest. How is he doing today? Has the swelling gone down?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Last night was rough, he was more uncomfortable an unable to get comfortable than ever and just seemed to be in constant pain. Licks his lips all the time. He also kept shaking his head a lot, like he was trying to get something off of him.

Here he is trying to get comfortable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExkRc...e_gdata_player

Here he is trying to itch his face (which makes it so much worse) and Tony trying to comfort him.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udblu...e_gdata_player

I just wish we knew for sure what happened! He is teething and part of me wonders if that might be the problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Keep an eye out for signs of infection/abcess. Spiders also like to come inside when it's cold, so it may have happened inside, or at the doorway, etc. I'd still put a call at least into your regular vet (do they charge you for consultation calls? I know some do :/ ). They may want to put him on antibiotics for a little while, just in case. Mattie's facial swelling from her bug bites always went down in 24 -48 hours. Not trying to be bossy, just concerned . I hope he's feeling better this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Furrfoot-thanks so much. The weird thing is, is that we just had a holiday party and literally cleaned the house top to bottom...cleaner than it's ever been and we can't find a thing (no spiders or evidence of them). I also recently bought a roomba vacuum cleaner to clean while we're at work because Forrest likes to eat anything on the ground, so I wanted to be sure I was getting everything (ps that thing is amazing!)

We called the vet to see if we could give him baby aspirin or if we should bring him back in. They said no to aspirin, and to bring him in if it looked worse.

We're coming up on 48 hrs. So, hopefully he'll perk up. Crazy that he isn't more sleepy on 12.5 mg of Benadryl because I pass out from 25 mg! And I obviously weigh a lot more than 7 lbs