• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Forrest's 3am Trip to the Vet...still concerned...

apwerner

Last night around 3am, Tony took Forrest (4 months old today) outside to go potty. Tony noticed him pawing at his face outside, but said he pretty much just went out and came back in without playing around at all. (by the way, we're in Kansas and it was probably 32 F at this time). When he brought him in he had a little bump on the left side of his face.

This is right after he came in, you can see the little bump on his left side next to his nose.
63a93edc-19cd-8116.jpg

Very quickly (within minutes) it started swelling a lot more, then we noticed it getting red (this is such a bad quality pic, but shows the progression.
63a93edc-1a0d-91cb.jpg

We quickly decided to take him to the emergency vet, and this is what it looked like while we were in the waiting room. (he was pawing forcefully at it the whole ride there)
63a93edc-1ac3-bebf.jpg

The vet sees him and says she thinks it's a spider bite. They give him something for the swelling and an IV. They monitored him for a few hours and we finally left around 5am. This is him when we got home (wrong side I know, but you can see his little IV bandage...swelling and redness had gone down.)
63a93edc-1b4c-7bc8.jpg

They told us to give him 12.5mg of Benadryl every 12 hours and to not let him go outside and to look for rough skin around the area where they think he was bit because it could kill the skin and they will need to remove that skin if that's the case. This morning it was swollen, but better. He ate all his breakfast. I left for 2 hours for a photoshoot and left him in his kennel, and when I came back around noon it looked like this (much better, but still swollen):
63a93edc-1b74-13f5.jpg

Then, shortly after eating he was pawing at it again and I noticed it getting redder and redder and his lips were sooo saggy (particularly the left side)
63a93edc-1ccc-9dde.jpg

Here's a pic to show the redness and swelling.
63a93edc-1cf6-837d.jpg

I'm trying to do my best to keep him from touching it, but it's hard. He's not very cuddly and doesn't want to be held much and squirms away from me when I try to restrain him.

Just for reference, here's what he looked like a few hours before this happened last night:
63a93edc-1f04-dd1c.jpg

And the day before:
63a93edc-1f3a-718c.jpg

63a93edc-1f50-eac2.jpg

And last week:
63a93edc-1fc9-2ded.jpg

Should I be concerned? Should I just keep him on the meds and wait for it to clear up? I feel like I'm over reacting, but he looks so sad.

It may just be drainage, but if it's getting red again, call the vet and see what they think. Your regular vet may want to see him. I hope he's feeling better soon! Our boxer was allergic to yellow jackets, so we have been there, done that with the swollen face/head :( .

Lindylou: thanks!

Furrfoot: thanks so much, if it were summer there would be no doubt in my mind it was a bug or something. With it being winter (and so cold out) I just can't imagine there are many bugs/spiders/bees alive outside! Last night was pretty expensive, so I'm just so hesitant to take him back so soon when I always just feel like I'm overreacting. Thanks for the advice!

Hi
Hi

Don't worry about over reacting we all would and do ,keep on with the Benardrly and keep on
watching him as you are and if any doubts at all take him back to your Vets .He is a beautiful
little boy and so lucky to have a MOM like you who obviously cares so much for him .I would
agree with the Vet it a spider bite or similar ,if he is not yet insured pls consider getting him
insured ,last August my Daisy had to see a neurologist then a cardiologist all in the same week
at a cost of about £2250.00 so its bettet in your pocket than others . He will be fine soon so
dont worry too much even though its hard not to .

Best Wishes

Brian and
Poppy,Daisy,Rosie and Lily

Oh my goodness! Poor Forest, poor you! I would keep him on the Benadryl, and talk to your Vet about a collar. It would keep him from scratching, which is going to irritate it more. It just seems so weird that a spider would bite him outside. Is it possible he was foraging and overturned some leaves or something, and the spider was under that?

And I agree with Brian, I would look into insurance. Most of us have it just because we have Cav's. There is always a waiting period, but the earlier you get it, the better.

Let us know how he does. Saying a little prayer for him.

Thanks so much everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Last night was rough, he was more uncomfortable an unable to get comfortable than ever and just seemed to be in constant pain. Licks his lips all the time. He also kept shaking his head a lot, like he was trying to get something off of him.

Here he is trying to get comfortable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExkRc33y538&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here he is trying to itch his face (which makes it so much worse) and Tony trying to comfort him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdbludIcs9k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I just wish we knew for sure what happened! He is teething and part of me wonders if that might be the problem?

Keep an eye out for signs of infection/abcess. Spiders also like to come inside when it's cold, so it may have happened inside, or at the doorway, etc. I'd still put a call at least into your regular vet (do they charge you for consultation calls? I know some do :/ ). They may want to put him on antibiotics for a little while, just in case. Mattie's facial swelling from her bug bites always went down in 24 -48 hours. Not trying to be bossy, just concerned ;) . I hope he's feeling better this afternoon.

Furrfoot-thanks so much. The weird thing is, is that we just had a holiday party and literally cleaned the house top to bottom...cleaner than it's ever been and we can't find a thing (no spiders or evidence of them). I also recently bought a roomba vacuum cleaner to clean while we're at work because Forrest likes to eat anything on the ground, so I wanted to be sure I was getting everything (ps that thing is amazing!)

We called the vet to see if we could give him baby aspirin or if we should bring him back in. They said no to aspirin, and to bring him in if it looked worse.

We're coming up on 48 hrs. So, hopefully he'll perk up. Crazy that he isn't more sleepy on 12.5 mg of Benadryl because I pass out from 25 mg! And I obviously weigh a lot more than 7 lbs ;)

Crazy that he isn't more sleepy on 12.5 mg of Benadryl because I pass out from 25 mg! And I obviously weigh a lot more than 7 lbs ;)

Sonny was not sleepy when his vet gave him benadryl either. I was expecting a lethargic pup and he was just as bouncy as ever.....

Did you use anything different when you cleaned? Anything new in the house, sprays etc., is it just confined to his face? If he would tolerate it, I have used an ice cube wrapped in paper towel to soothe the area when one of mine was stung.

Ruth-confined to the face and nothing new used to clean. Actually didn't use too many chemicals in general. Good idea about the ice. I was so worried he's eat the ice after reading about bloat on here that I actually put some of his toys in the freezer and he really likes the cold on his mouth and it seemed to help a ton. thanks!

Aww, my heart breaks for the poor little tike.
I worry about spider bites, or even wasp and bee stings with Jessie. We live in a semi rural area and living in Australia,
the spiders are pretty nasty. We have white tails on our property, and no matter how many times we've sprayed and had professionals
for a call out, they come back again within weeks.

How is Forrest now?
Without sounding ridiculous, did she check his teeth? Just thinking that usually with people, swelling around the nose and mouth can
usually be a sign of a tooth abscess. Do dogs even get those?

I'm so sorry for little Forrest. It's great that you got him to the vet so quickly! Where in Kansas are you? I moved from Hutchinson a year and a half ago. I had the best vet in the world there--also a 24 hour emergency facility. If you'd like her name and are near the area, I'd be happy to pm you. I hope Forrest feels better soon!

Jessieandme: I sort of thought it could be teeth as well after it didn't go away with the steroid injection and a few rounds of Benadryl. I looked, though, and nothing inside his mouth looked too crazy. I did buy a tooth brush, which we had been waiting to do until his big teeth were in, and he had his teeth brushed for the first time. :) I can't even imagine the kind of critters you have in Australia! I would be terrified!

Tara- we're in the Overland Park (KC) area. We took him to Blue Pearl for the overnight stuff. Hutch is about 3 hours away, but I'd love any recommendations if you want to PM them my way!

Thanks Kathleen & AshleighElizabeth!

He seems to be doing better finally. When he was in the most pain he wanted nothing to do with us, and beginning yesterday afternoon he started getting to be more clingy and more like himself. A bit lethargic, but I guess that's to be expected. Swelling is down quite a bit, but is still there some. He doesn't seem to be as uncomfortable, though, which is the best part. I give him the benadryl in just a bit of peanut butter so he'll take it easier and I swear he's going to be so upset when he gets better and doesn't get his peanut butter twice a day. He goes crazy for that stuff.

I had the flu yesterday, but it worked out okay because I got to stay home from work, and take care of Forrest...we were a SUPER pathetic duo.
a6cd0d93-dc46-4877.jpg

Thanks so much for all the well wishes! We really appreciate it and all the advice!

hi
ive being thinking about forrest alot over these past few day's and pleased to read he's getting a bit better its awfull when they are not well please give forrest a big kiss and cuddle from me and louie
happy new year to you all

Back