Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is your dog a hoover or a grazer?

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will cut out some of the treats. Bella gets Royal Canin kibble for breakfast and lunch and then chicken and rice for dinner.

Post Thanks / Like

As a pup, Belle used to be a grazer, and tried pulling some stunts that Karlin mentions in her post, but we stuck with putting her bowl out for 15 minutes and then putting it away, she finally got hungry enough and ate her food without being so finicky. Now she is a hoover. Bobby has always been a hoover and always will be.
    Cavaliers are natural born hoovers. Also, I read somewhere that they carry a 'hungry gene' and are always hungry, even when they shouldn't be, gotta watch their waistlines vigilantly. I give my two James Wellbeloved, about less than 1/2 cup twice a day- brekkies and dindins. I feel like I'm starving them, but they are good weight and get some nice snacks thoughout the day, a carrot or some banana or chicken pieces at mid-day and then a biscuit after their walks and a night-time biscuit before bed.
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Both Molly and Murphy are hoovers. And if they go to grandma's they don't get any dinner because they hoover all the food that Mum's dogs don't eat (she has a fussy corgi and kelpie x)
    Paula

Molly (Tri female),
    Murphy (Blen boy), and Bonnie (running at the rainbow bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Gabby is a super hoover and Jasper is a grazer, complete opposites.
    Andrea
    Jasper
    21/Dec/05 - 28 August 2014 my best friend, my soulmate
    Gabby 8/Nov/07,
    Felix the cat 4/April/10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasperxxgabby View Post
    Gabby is a super hoover and Jasper is a grazer, complete opposites.
    That must be hard, making sure that Gabby doesn't eat Jasper's food.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alana View Post
    That must be hard, making sure that Gabby doesn't eat Jasper's food.
    Not really, we make sure their mealtimes are supervised, Gabby is fed in the kitchen and Jasper in the living room under my nose lol, monitoring treats can be difficult though, if Jasper saves his for later then Gabby can sometimes steal, though it is not common
    Andrea
    Jasper
    21/Dec/05 - 28 August 2014 my best friend, my soulmate
    Gabby 8/Nov/07,
    Felix the cat 4/April/10

Post Thanks / Like

Lyra is a total hoover. She'll finish her food within 2 minutes, and then look for more (and try to steal some from Cadence). She also loves to pick up random crap from the ground and eat it--dry leaves, dead bugs, paper, thread.. you name it, she'll eat it!!

Cadence is a very picky eater. Did the whole "leave the bowl down for 15 minutes" multiple times (several days in a row), never worked on him. He was a very skinny little puppy--all bones, because he wouldn't eat his food. So I leave his food out (1/2 cup) all day for him to eat. He's been on steroids for his allergies for the past couple of weeks, and WOW that has really made him hungry ALL THE TIME.

So now I have 2 hoovers! Lyra is not alone anymore

Post Thanks / Like

Ours is a grazer!! when it comes to doggy food that is lol. the few times he ate human food like turkey for thanksgiving, he ate it in a few mins. We feed him by hand many times bec he will hae a few bites and then wont eat so we are afraid he will starve and feed him by hand! He is super picky! He prefers wet food over dry but hates salmon or lamb always wants chicken wet food. Its like a big accomplishment when he finishes a bowl! we feed him 2x a day. I know he has no issues health wise. he is the type of pup that needs to be where we are so if we leave him alone he will just follow us and wont eat. so we stay in the kitchen many times while he eats and avoid looking at him bec then he will be too happy to eat lol.
    Last edited by Adelya21; 2nd January 2012 at 11:29 AM.