Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very Sensitive Arm Pits

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ruby will always make contact when she is scratching.

I just want to say that she is never picked up under the armpits or axilla! The screaming was from being touched there.

She seems alot better today- has had a good walk and run about at the park and seems happier in herself as well.

Its good to know I'm not alone- well actually NO it isn't good to know as that would mean I'm glad your babies are in pain but nice to know others have experienced this.

On the contrary I can handle Charlie in exactly the same area with no sensitivity what so ever.

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very helpful reminder about how to pick up an animal, Pat -- so many people pick up small dogs like they would a child, under the 'armpits', and this is so wrong for so many reasons!

I think as some comments veered over to discussing how this is also a way to cause pain for a dog that there might be confusion that Karen's original query involved picking up a dog this way but of course it wasn't.

My Leo sometimes can be very sensitive to even the lightest touch in exactly that area -- it comes and goes though (not too often that he has it). I actually just ask people not to pet/rub him and note he is sensitive. Curiously a harness is still more comfortable for him though! It doesn't seem to bother him at all.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Very helpful reminder about how to pick up an animal, Pat -- so many people pick up small dogs like they would a child, under the 'armpits', and this is so wrong for so many reasons!

I think as some comments veered over to discussing how this is also a way to cause pain for a dog that there might be confusion that Karen's original query involved picking up a dog this way but of course it wasn't.

My Leo sometimes can be very sensitive to even the lightest touch in exactly that area -- it comes and goes though (not too often that he has it). I actually just ask people not to pet/rub him and note he is sensitive. Curiously a harness is still more comfortable for him though! It doesn't seem to bother him at all.
    Yes the harness thing does make me wonder as well!!

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry it got off topic and thanks Pat for the reminder. I never actually picked him up but he yelped at touching him there.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but i did read that there are extra nerves there.

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyv...l#.TwITJ4l5mc0

I don't know if that makes it extra sensitive?

PS. I have always been told about dislocating shoulders by picking up children by arms (I want to say either my sister or me had that happen with a babysitter). So I usually have the weight being even on my mind but will avoid armpits and place under chest and hind first and to get him standing first if I have to pick him up.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I feel terrible and I sure hope I never did anything to hurt him.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't think anything went off topic, so much as (usefully) stepped sideways for a few posts. And some good points made as a result -- a lot of people don't realise that it isn't good to pick up a dog or cat like that so the discussion might save some animals some pain (now or in the future as dangling like that can damage spines and joints) and some people some future worry and vet costs!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    Sorry it got off topic and thanks Pat for the reminder. I never actually picked him up but he yelped at touching him there.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but i did read that there are extra nerves there.

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyv...l#.TwITJ4l5mc0

I don't know if that makes it extra sensitive?

PS. I have always been told about dislocating shoulders by picking up children by arms (I want to say either my sister or me had that happen with a babysitter). So I usually have the weight being even on my mind but will avoid armpits and place under chest and hind first and to get him standing first if I have to pick him up.
    Rose has NEVER liked being picked up (in a certain way, so not always) by the armpits, and will yelp, ever since she was 12 weeks old. She has allergies, but no SM, etc. symptoms. Since she doesn't really mind a harness, I figured there was something going on "structurally" that I didn't know about since I've only had bigger dogs who I didn't pick up unless I had to (and then it was a "power lift" lol). Thanks for the link, that explains a lot! I think they know that we don't mean to hurt them, so please don't beat yourself up about making him yelp. Toesies get stepped on, etc. and they forgive us .

On a side note (I'm sure the vast majority on here know this, but mentioning just in case ), Rose's breeder explained very well and throughly about making sure we picked Rose up in the "football hold", always supporting her chest, etc. so we have made it a habit to do that from day 1. I wasn't sure I would get the hang of it after toting a (similar weight) baby on my hip, lol, but now I'm doing good not to pick up a baby like that :P , haha. Seriously, though, I'm glad the breeder was as emphatic about it as she was (she knew we were getting our first small dog).
    Last edited by Furrfoot; 4th January 2012 at 06:58 PM.